E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Daitō-ryū aiki-jūjutsu Head Kondō Katsuyuki discovers Tōkyō 1940 Olympics Programs

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Daitō-ryū aiki-jūjutsu Head Kondō Katsuyuki discovers Tōkyō 1940 Olympics Programs Empty Daitō-ryū aiki-jūjutsu Head Kondō Katsuyuki discovers Tōkyō 1940 Olympics Programs

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Apparently the program of the (cancelled) 1940 Olympics up to know had been lost. Several newspapers today reported their re-discovery which, interestingly, was made by one of the foremost martial artists, i.e. Kondō Katsuyuki, Head of the Daitō-ryū Tokimune Main Lineage. The programs found were either in the French or German language.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0000958313
    NBK
    NBK

Daitō-ryū aiki-jūjutsu Head Kondō Katsuyuki discovers Tōkyō 1940 Olympics Programs Empty Re: Daitō-ryū aiki-jūjutsu Head Kondō Katsuyuki discovers Tōkyō 1940 Olympics Programs

Post by NBK Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks - pretty cool.

I think it may confuse some non-native English speakers; I believe the use in this case, 'program' is a pamphlet of the schedule of events, something to be handed out at the venue.  I have no idea what the term is in other languages.  So, the Japanese printed up sample programs and handed them out as advertising.  

Actually, I didn't pay much attention at the time, but a couple of years ago I'm pretty sure I read the entire 1940 Tokyo Olympics 'program', meaning the plan of what sport would be held where, as all this is sounds very familiar.   All of those plans were laid out in documents of the Tokyo Olympics, and there were plenty.

Again, the 'program' could describe the entire plan, or various aspect of it, or a small handout with the schedule of events.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:04 pm