E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+11
Mr_Michael_or_Mike
BillC
GregW
NittyRanks
afja_lm139
Stacey
afulldeck
Heisenberg
still learning
Ricebale
Cichorei Kano
15 posters

The optimal spring floor for Judo, or What goes under the tatami?

NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

The optimal spring floor for Judo, or What goes under the tatami? - Page 2 Empty Re: The optimal spring floor for Judo, or What goes under the tatami?

Post by NittyRanks Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:56 am

Cool thread! Smile Smile
    GregW

The optimal spring floor for Judo, or What goes under the tatami? - Page 2 Empty Re: The optimal spring floor for Judo, or What goes under the tatami?

Post by GregW Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:12 am

At the "World's Greatest Camp" in North Carolina and at a couple of judo tournaments I've been to, there were some white mats made out of solid pieces of some kind of foam. it was almost like sheets of insulation that were about an 1 1/2 inches thick. They had them taped together. We did a nage no kata class on one and it was surprisingly good for taking falls. Anyone know what this material is and where to get it? They were really light weight and could be stacked conveniently. It is worth considering for a future project.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:23 am

GregW wrote:At the "World's Greatest Camp" in North Carolina and at a couple of judo tournaments I've been to, there were some white mats made out of solid pieces of some kind of foam.  it was almost like sheets of insulation that were about an 1 1/2 inches thick.  They had them taped together.  We did a nage no kata class on one and it was surprisingly good for taking falls.  Anyone know what this material is and where to get it?  They were really light weight and could be stacked conveniently.  It is worth considering for a future project.

Ethofoam ... polyethylene foam ... used typically as a packing material inside crates and boxes ... same stuff in the aforementioned foam blocks. Doesn't take traffic well ... over time lose loft. Some of the roll out mats used for events rely on this as the core material ... which is why they are not the best choices for a busy dojo.
    Mr_Michael_or_Mike

Post by Mr_Michael_or_Mike Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:55 am

Here are some short videos of Judo floors built with foam blocks.

Last edited by Mr_Michael_or_Mike on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
    Mr_Michael_or_Mike

Post by Mr_Michael_or_Mike Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:01 am

Here is a dance floor built with 3 layers of 2" by 4" boards that were put together in a by crossing the boards in a perpendicular pattern. I wonder if such a construction would work for Judo?

Mr_Michael_or_Mike

Post by Mr_Michael_or_Mike Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:11 am

An interesting video on how traditional tatami was made and, used. I wonder if the tatami for homes was the same as used in Judo?

Mr_Michael_or_Mike

Post by Mr_Michael_or_Mike Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:16 am

Here is a video several aspects traditional tatami construction. Mostly attaching the cover.

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:14 am

Mr_Michael_or_Mike wrote:I've looked around on the internet and, found many sources for steel coil springs  for industrial purposes. I'm sure someone could figure out which ones might be useful for a floor and, get some brackets to attack to a wood frame. Cover with some Baltic birch plywood, maybe two layers and, purchase some real Japanese tatami. You would have a real Judo floor!
    The real Japanese tatami I've done Judo on, even on a sprung floor, were way too hard.

The foam blocks under two layers of plywood, with modern tatami over that, is the way to go.
    overthehill

Post by overthehill Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:47 pm

another thing to consider is that the vast majority of modern dojo in japan now use the ijf style mats, which are not made of the traditional tatami.

good, old fashioned tatami mats cost a hell of a lot, even in japan.

the most comfortable surface i trained on was a dojo that must have had some sort of suspension underneath the hardwood floors. the mats were placed directly on top of the hard wood floors.

worst surface i have trained on was a local town dojo that put gymnastics springs under some plywood boards, which the tatami was laid on top of. it was far too bouncy and very slow. i didnt feel like i could move well on that soft of a surface.
    Mr_Michael_or_Mike

Post by Mr_Michael_or_Mike Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:46 pm

Based on what CK said above, the hard wood floors probably have steel spings underneath. I once stood on what was called a "rolling dance floor" in an old dance hall and, it still had an interesting springy feeling as I walked upon it. It was a solid wood floor. That type of floor would take some sort of skilled construction and, is probably in demand in Japan, but, probably not in the US.

The gym floor springs comment was interesting. I was wondering how that might shape up. One sensei told me he thought the gymnastics spring floor was forgiving, but seemed surprised by the question. I think American Judo coaches take to better floors question the same way they take to new IJF rules; they just adapt.
    Mr_Michael_or_Mike

Post by Mr_Michael_or_Mike Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Here is a Japanese company that sells and ships Japanese made tatami (60mm thick) to the USA. They also sell used tatami that has been used in tournaments.

Tatami of Ooyaseijyou Co,Ltd
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm looking at upgrading our floor. It's stupidly expensive but I have some ideas.
    noboru
    noboru

The optimal spring floor for Judo, or What goes under the tatami? - Page 2 Empty The Quest for the Perfect Judo Floor

Post by noboru Tue May 10, 2016 7:00 pm

The Quest for the Perfect Judo Floor
    by Paul Nogaki
    http://www.judokong.com/2012/08/the-quest-for-perfect-judo-floor.html

The optimal spring floor for Judo, or What goes under the tatami? - Page 2 Tatami2
    The optimal spring floor for Judo, or What goes under the tatami? - Page 2 Tatami4
    The optimal spring floor for Judo, or What goes under the tatami? - Page 2 Tatami6
    The optimal spring floor for Judo, or What goes under the tatami? - Page 2 Tatami1

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 pm