E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
beyondgrappling
Ricebale
Creamy creamy baileys
7 posters

Comments on Sambo

Creamy creamy baileys
    Creamy creamy baileys

Comments on Sambo Empty Comments on Sambo

Post by Creamy creamy baileys Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Couple of interesting comments here, including the fact that sambo hasn't had any major rule changes (gripping etc) for decades without apparent detriment

http://sparta.ozoriginal.com.au/myths-about-sambo.html

Not sure of accuracy of all claims (some seem apocryphal) but food for thought
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Comments on Sambo Empty Re: Comments on Sambo

Post by Ricebale Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 am

It is opinion but widely shared.

Get Mifunes book "Canon of Judo" you will see an excellent Sambo manual, inclusive of leg and neck locks.

"Sambo is inclusive whereas Judo is a process of purification" is my position.

In recent years the sport sambo has drifted closer to Judo than ever. To the point whereby true Sambo is found in the Combat Sambo and the two styles are not exchangeable much any more, less than 20% technical crossover.

I know the dude who wrote this and he is a good guy, ex judo so inevitably draws comparison to what he knows.

Cheers
    beyondgrappling

Post by beyondgrappling Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:33 am

great article
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:54 pm

If these guys were wearing kurtka and sexy shorts it would be a Sambo demo
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:20 pm

Ricebale wrote:

I've never seen any of these moves in Judo before apart from the Ko-uchi makikomi at the end. Can they still be used in Judo and why havent I been taught them?
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 pm

JudoStu wrote:
    Ricebale wrote:

I've never seen any of these moves in Judo before apart from the Ko-uchi makikomi at the end. Can they still be used in Judo and why havent I been taught them?

Any touching of legs is illegal in shiai. All techniques in video can be used in JUDO. Most in video can be used in shiai with certain grip modifications.
    I will get round to posting a video when I find it, of me showing the second technique in the video as a current valid attack in shiai,without touching uke below the belt area.
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:30 am

tafftaz wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:
    Ricebale wrote:

Any touching of legs is illegal in shiai. All techniques in video can be used in JUDO. Most in video can be used in shiai with certain grip modifications.
    I will get round to posting a video when I find it, of me showing the second technique in the video as a current valid attack in shiai,without touching uke below the belt area.

I can't stop watching it. Would love to try that flying armbar and the throw where tori avoids the seoi nage and jumps in with both legs against ukes waist.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:57 am

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/18/5627440/vadim-kolganov-sambo-is-more-direct-adaptable-than-bjj-judo

Here's a good article on Sambo, I concur with most of what is said here via direct experience

Freelancer
    Freelancer

Post by Freelancer Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:24 pm

Sambo got it`s leglocks from CACC? This is new...
    Plus, which leglocks are banned in BJJ? And are chokes in any way a part of Sambo as martial art, though not as a sport(similar to leg grabs in Judo)?
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:44 am

JudoStu wrote:

Many of these techniques entered the jûdô scene in the early 1980s by that generation of Sovjet Russians. As the video purports this would be forms or hikkomi-gaeshi ('hikkomi' should be written with two k's, not one), but that is clearly a misunderstanding of its authors. Some of the techniques are indeed hikkomi-gaeshi, others are not, and there is also ko-uch-gari (not "ko-uchi-makikomi" which also is an aberrant and erroneous name, but most are skillful entries into newaza; you can, for example, also see the ude-garami technique popularized by Kimura Masahiko, there is a tama-gurma henka. The succession of techniques as shown here was made in the way most Westerners misunderstand kata, namely as some kind of show, although indeed many of these techniques have shown their effectiveness in shiai. At the time the authors conceived the idea all techniques included were allowed under IJF rules. As you know, since the IJF has gone 'loco' so hikkomi-gaeshi where you grab the leg now no longer is permitted, and who knows, maybe next year everything in there might be outlawed. In any case it is interesting to watch as it reflects an interesting point in time, namely the point that judo was nice to watch with several Russians dominating in a technical way inspired through sambo, such as noticeably Iatskevitch, Chochosvili, Novikov, Solodoukhine, etc. The generation was different from the previous Russian generations which mainly stood out by extraordinary physical force (Kuznetsov, Tiurin, Kibrosatchvili, etc) with only a few exceptions such as Nevzorov, but Nevzorov's jûdô was very unique and as technical a the best Japanese without having to revert to sambo techniques.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:11 am

I was explaining this to my guys in my class the other night, SAMBO is an acronym, fighting without weapons, it also is a means to attain physical excellence. Have a look at the SAMBO 70 clip above and those with good history will get some shivers, the approach to SAMBO is an all rounded education with other combat sports.

Facilities like this are why it's hard for English speaking nations to get victories at international competitions, training is a full time life.

The technical aspects of SAMBO are inseparable from the physical conditioning and sportive all roundness.

JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:

Many of these techniques entered the jûdô scene in the early 1980s by that generation of Sovjet Russians. As the video purports this would be forms or hikkomi-gaeshi ('hikkomi' should be written with two k's, not one), but that is clearly a misunderstanding of its authors. Some of the techniques are indeed hikkomi-gaeshi, others are not, and there is also ko-uch-gari (not "ko-uchi-makikomi" which also is an aberrant and erroneous name, but most are skillful entries into newaza; you can, for example, also see the ude-garami technique popularized by Kimura Masahiko, there is a tama-gurma henka. The succession of techniques as shown here was made in the way most Westerners misunderstand kata, namely as some kind of show, although indeed many of these techniques have shown their effectiveness in shiai. At the time the authors conceived the idea all techniques included were allowed under IJF rules. As you know, since the IJF has gone 'loco' so hikkomi-gaeshi where you grab the leg now no longer is permitted, and who knows, maybe next year everything in there might be outlawed. In any case it is interesting to watch as it reflects an interesting point in time, namely the point that judo was nice to watch with several Russians dominating in a technical way inspired through sambo, such as noticeably Iatskevitch, Chochosvili, Novikov, Solodoukhine, etc. The generation was different from the previous Russian generations which mainly stood out by extraordinary physical force (Kuznetsov, Tiurin, Kibrosatchvili, etc) with only a few exceptions such as Nevzorov, but Nevzorov's jûdô was very unique and as technical a the best Japanese without having to revert to sambo techniques.

thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I feel compelled to write a post on my blog regarding the removal of leg grab techniques and will use this video as the intro to it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:58 am