E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
wdax
kbrise
6 posters

IJF Certified Judogi?

kbrise

IJF Certified Judogi? Empty IJF Certified Judogi?

Post by kbrise Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:42 am

I am coming back to Judo after being out for a few years and wow on the new rules!! <arg> So, I have a Mizuno EuroComp that is no longer legal because my sleeves are to the old regulation. I LOVE my Mizuno and have had it for years. It's durable and not so stiff that it feels like sandpaper, but thick enough to be a challenge. I am a woman and the leaner fit of this kimono is Great!

I ordered a Mizuno Yusho Comp because I did not see any other Mizunos that were IJF certified other than the differing styles of the Yusho. So I figured If I am ordering a new one I better do it right. (under the $200 us mark)

I am pretty disappointed as it just seems flimsy next to my old gi. I am 5'10" and 155 - 160lbs and have long arms. I ordered a 3.5 according to the french guidelines which from my research seems to be the most acurate. http://www.mizunoshop.fr/guide-des-tailles/ (It was suggested in another post on this size scale to order a 1/2 size up for shrinkage) I have not washed it, the arms need to shrink about 1" and is definitely not a slim fit around the waist. The pants come almost up to my chest. A smaller size would probably work, but again, I am pretty disapointed in the "feel" of this double weave.

I thought the change in the "feel" was due to the new regulations, but I just came from a camp where I was introduced to a Matsuru IJF Certified gi and it is much like the old style stiff double I am used to and hard to get the overhand grip. Felt more like the Mizuno Ichiban, rough.

So I am going to return the Yusho and am back to researching. I have seen several people mention that they have the Matsuru but no opinions on the quality or longevity. I do know they have a slim fit which is good.

Any other opinions on Judo Gi's that are IJF Certified that fit similar to the EuroComp?
    What brand/style do you have and how long have you had it?
    How is the feel?
    Is the sizing chart accurate?
    What was the shrinkage like?
    Is there a slim fit?
    Are the pants just as durable?
    wdax

IJF Certified Judogi? Empty Re: IJF Certified Judogi?

Post by wdax Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 am

First question: Do you really need an IJF-licenced gi? If not, you are free to choose....

If you need the IJF-logo, then you should know, that there will be new regulations from april 2015. So you should wait for the new gis, which have to me made from lighter material.

I have two Essimo gis with IJF-Logo and I like them. Slim-fit gis are really what they should be. There are other good gis around, which are also good, but I really can recommend the Essimo.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:23 am

I don't bother with the IJF certified judogi because I'm not competing (when I compete) at the elite senior level. Most masters and the like tournaments, even at the international level, don't require IJF gi, back patches, and the sundry other nonsense. Further, they keep changing the gi every year or two, so unless you're looking to get on the national register at the senior elite level, don't bother. If you compete anywhere other than the senior elite point tourneys, then you can generally use what you want, don't have to get a blue gi, and just have to wear a white or blue obi as needed.

In class/practice? it shouldn't matter what you wear (assuming you're not doing a traditional dojo that requires everybody to be in white, joshi obi for women, etc).
    kbrise

Post by kbrise Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:03 pm

I was thinking of training for Sr. Nationals next year. (I have a few students that have shown an interest in going.) I am Planning on Masters, but as we all know competition for women is limited, so I may end up going for Sr division just to get competition..... I thought that the new gi requirements would be required at that tournament.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:11 pm

yeah, the masters events haven't been well attended. You might want to try the All Women Championship - you can get a ton of matches there. Last time I was there, I got something like 8. If you do the senior division, then yes, you'll need an IJF approved gi (assuming it's a USA Judo nationals, not the USJA/USJF combined nationals).

There's a masters women's facebook group for people to talk about when/where they intend to compete. Heidi Moore makes sure that any master who shows up for the Denver Open gets matches, and her tournament has been growing quite a bit over the years.

In as far as the gi goes, it's 1.5 weight now - doubles are out, but they keep changing the reqs constantly. Everybody got an IJF gi for the sokuteki, then the IJF said that the length of the sleeves and skirt had to be so long in relationship to your wrist/belt. Then last year they said that the gi jacket must close within something like 6-10 cm of your throat. Now there's another scheduled change. So, best practice is to beg off on buying gi and back patch until the last possible moment. Oh, and the old tricks of sun drying your gi to make it armor hard still work, until the IJF gets involved and mandates that they must be able to be folded and not retain a crease or something. They're getting too involved with gi reqs, and you're not going to know which gi req set a tournament is going by until the IJF releases its new reqs and puts a date on them.

I have no problem spending money on a decent gi, and having a shiai kit. I do have a problem with buying new kit every year or two because the IJF wants to make more money on gi licensing fees. 4 gi, (2 white, 2 blue) is a huge expense for most senior judoka - making them buy every 2 years all new kit is a crap move, imho. I mean, it's not like they're replacing one here and another there - they're having to replace their entire kit.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Most people I know who need an IJF-approved gi buy a belt with an IJF label on eBay for $20, remove the label and have it sewn on the gi they normally use.

If you know someone at the company they can sew on there any label you want.

When I have ordered jûdôgi in Japan the manufacturer has ALWAYS asked which labels I liked, and when the gi arrived there usually was a selection of 2-4 spare other labels that came with it.

Oh wait, you though that the whole IJF thing was not a sham ?
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:57 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:...

It's definetely not a sham as IJF gets $$$$ for each gi with IJF label.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:36 pm

finarashi wrote:
    Cichorei Kano wrote:...

It's definetely not a sham as IJF gets $$$$ for each gi with IJF label.

I see. So, it's a sham only when the IJF does not get $$$$$.

What a relief. Now I understand why it is in our best interest to give the IJF as much $$$$$$ as possible.
    DarthVader
    DarthVader

Post by DarthVader Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:33 pm

IJF Certified Judogi? 10483815_10152202851232849_2550522145045521176_o
    My two last aquisitions: Hiku Shiai and Mizuno Yusho.

Both are IJF but the diference between both is very clear. The Hiku is 950 gr/m2 is stiff and the Mizuno is 750 gr/m2 is soft.

According to the new rulez the Mizuno may pass the check up test before a competition...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:00 am