E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Gracie brothers discuss Lloyd Irvin student rape case

Ricebale
    Ricebale

Gracie brothers discuss Lloyd Irvin student rape case Empty Gracie brothers discuss Lloyd Irvin student rape case

Post by Ricebale Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:40 pm

This talk covers not only a response to a rape but also a deep insight into how these two young men see their art and how it fits in the world

On New Years Eve, something happened that shocked the jiu-jitsu community around the world. A woman was raped by two Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners in Washington D.C.. Even more disheartening, was the fact that the victim was also a jiu-jitsu student, and she trained AT THE SAME SCHOOL AS THE ASSAILANTS! Aside from reminding us how despicable some human beings truly are, this incident raises some very interesting questions about the moral responsibilities of martial arts instructors and their students. In this video Ryron and Rener discuss their thoughts on the incident and explain what martial arts instructors can do to reduce the likelihood that this ever happens again. Share this video with all the martial artists you know, and we just might save a life.
    Dutch Budo
    Dutch Budo

Gracie brothers discuss Lloyd Irvin student rape case Empty Re: Gracie brothers discuss Lloyd Irvin student rape case

Post by Dutch Budo Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:14 am

These guys havent just disgraced Lloyd Irvin, nor BJJ, but the entire martial arts community. Lloyd Irvin apparently has been a suspect in a group rape case himself. According to the grapevine he only got acquited because he couldnt get it up.

anyway I think Ryan Hall voiced it pretty well, by this open letter: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/18/3891216/an-open-letter-to-the-martial-arts-community-from-ryan-hall

Gracie brothers discuss Lloyd Irvin student rape case Empty Re: Gracie brothers discuss Lloyd Irvin student rape case

Post by Guest Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:34 am

Dutch Budo wrote:

anyway I think Ryan Hall voiced it pretty well, by this open letter: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/1/18/3891216/an-open-letter-to-the-martial-arts-community-from-ryan-hall

This is a truly excellant piece of writing - Im giving it its own threat in the open forum - Im even tempted to make it a sticky.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:25 pm

This is a truly excellant piece of writing - Im giving it its own threat in the open forum - Im even tempted to make it a sticky.[/quote]

The writing seems to demad that everybody jumps at the bandwagon and starts cursing the accused. It specifically condems all who say that they are too srprised to take further action untill more facts are found. This is the typical attitude of the American lunch-mob. "Don't wait for the authorities to handle the case. lets go to hang the guy ourselves..."

I see great strength in Western justice system as opposed to mob behavior.
    seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:39 am

finarashi wrote:This is a truly excellant piece of writing - Im giving it its own threat in the open forum - Im even tempted to make it a sticky.

The writing seems to demad that everybody jumps at the bandwagon and starts cursing the accused. It specifically condems all who say that they are too srprised to take further action untill more facts are found. This is the typical attitude of the American lunch-mob. "Don't wait for the authorities to handle the case. lets go to hang the guy ourselves..."

Are you aware of the 1989 Lloyd Irvin case?

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:22 am

finarashi wrote:This is a truly excellant piece of writing - Im giving it its own threat in the open forum - Im even tempted to make it a sticky.

I didnt get that impression - I got the impression that it was warning people to be careful of "cult like" personalities - which I thoroughly agree with.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 am

Dew wrote:

I didnt get that impression - I got the impression that it was warning people to be careful of "cult like" personalities - which I thoroughly agree with.

I got that too, also fostering a learning environment rather than a kill or be killed produces better people, which I also agree with

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:51 am