E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Is this Mitsuyo Maeda giving a kano jui-jitsu demonstration in 1912?

Ryvai
    Ryvai

Is this Mitsuyo Maeda giving a kano jui-jitsu demonstration in 1912? Empty Is this Mitsuyo Maeda giving a kano jui-jitsu demonstration in 1912?

Post by Ryvai Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:56 pm

Facebook link
    Reinberger
    Reinberger

Is this Mitsuyo Maeda giving a kano jui-jitsu demonstration in 1912? Empty Re: Is this Mitsuyo Maeda giving a kano jui-jitsu demonstration in 1912?

Post by Reinberger Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:49 am

This movie was taken in France in 1912, and one can watch Tobari Tokusaburo (the senior) as well as Miyake Taro at least, performing techniques. I don't think that Maeda Mitsuyo also participated, as he was touring Central and South America during that year, AFAIK.
    Reinberger
    Reinberger

Is this Mitsuyo Maeda giving a kano jui-jitsu demonstration in 1912? Empty Re: Is this Mitsuyo Maeda giving a kano jui-jitsu demonstration in 1912?

Post by Reinberger Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:29 am

P.S.:

In addition to Kōdōkan Jūdō, Tobari Tokusaburō also practised and taught Tenjin Shinyō-ryū. In 1898, doctor Miura Kinnosuke held a lecture before a German organization in Tokyo, featuring Tenjin Shinyō-ryū jūjutsu. There he talked about a 'modification of kata', which was 'lately introduced under the name of 'Goshinjutsu' by director Inoue (Keitarō)'. The lecturer identified himself as a student of this 'Goshinjutsu', and described it as follows: 'This method purposes training in attack and defense, similar to kata, but is simplified significantly, and adapted to be taught to many persons simultaneously and for exercises in normal (even European) clothing.'

Since some years, when I saw that movie for the first time, I wondered if the Goshinjutsu displayed therein by Tobari in western clothing, might be a result of this modifications of Tenjin Shinyō-ryū kata by Inoue Keitarō.
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:00 pm

I love the menacing way in which he sees the ruffians off!
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:10 pm

I always thought that the title of the film was "Kenji Buys a New Hat."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:29 pm