E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima

noboru
    noboru

Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Empty Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima

Post by noboru Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:57 pm

I buyed Kindle version of the book Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B017SYU2QM

Here is info from amazon website:
    Written in 1915 this 297 page masterpiece is a treatise on the gentle art of Judo. Written by two of Kano's top assitants Sakujiro Yokoyama and Eisuke Oshima it takes you from the beginning to the senior levels. You will learn throws, falls, locks and takedowns and so much more you will not believe it. Kyohan means the Master Text and this is just that the Master Text of Japanese Judo.

I read it slowly, and I did not the finished reading.

There is a lot of interesting information for me. But I am not able give any general review of this book. But I noted one point. There is lot of historical photos of nage waza (Nagenokata) and text explanation of them. Lot of throwing techniques have different form as we know now.

For example:
    Uranage - Tori position is beside/almost behind Uke before throwing
    Hizaguruma -  Tori position is beside Uke, Tori blocks the knee from the side, Tori attacks Ukes forward leg (knee)
    Taiotoshi - Tori not turns with back to the Uke - there is very long distance - it looks like todays variation of Sumiotoshi
    Seoiotoshi - Tori during Kake holds Ukes sleeve and judogi near Ukes obi /or obi directly
    etc.

Interesting book, may be there are some judo waza roots. There are parts about judo philosophy, principles, ukemi, kuzushi, nage waza, newaza, short target description of atemi waza - advices...
    noboru
    noboru

Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Empty info from NBK about contents

Post by noboru Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:15 am

NBK in other thread wrote:Thanks for introducing this. Here's the Table of Contents.

Jūdō
    ・ CONTENTS
    ・ CHAPTER I
    ・ Introduction
    ・ CHAPTER II
    ・ Theory of Contest
    ・ CHAPTER III
    ・ Directions for Jūdō Pupils
    ・ CHAPTER IV
    ・ JūdōPupils’ Preparations
    ・ CHAPTER V
    ・ Names of Tricks and Their Classification
    ・ CHAPTER VI
    ・ Explanation of Kata of Nage
    ・ CHAPTER VII
    ・ Explanation of Gokyo―no―Waza.
    ・ CHAPTER VIII
    ・ Explanation of Katamewaza
    ・ CHAPTER IX
    ・ Explanation of Atemiwaza
    noboru
    noboru

Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Empty historical judo persons, who demonstrate the described technigues

Post by noboru Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:57 pm

As I wrote, in the book is waza explanation with a lot of historical photos. On the photos are historical judo persons, who demonstrate the described technigues from Nagenokata, Gokyo and Katame waza, Ukemi, Shizei, Kuzushi etc.

Here are list of persons, it could be good source for some judo researchers:
    Kosei Maeda
    Akira Suwabe
    Izumi Maruo
    Keigan Osumi
    Yoshimaro Handa
    Tokisaburo Karino
    Hoken Sato
    Yoshiaki Yamashita
    Shuichi Nagaoka
    Koemon Yasukuni
    Jigoro Kano - with demonstration of waza with Yoshiaki Yamashita
    Kinko Kuga
    Kaichiro Samura
    Kotaro Imai
    Matazaimon Tanabe
    Isogai Hajime
    Kihei Aoyagi

The book contains more typing errors, changing in pictures (for example Hanegoshi picture is the same as in Uranage and it is Uranage). Is possible that the names could be written incorrect in the my list (the form of their writing as in the book - firstname, surname - I think ...).
    noboru
    noboru

Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Empty photos of waza from this book

Post by noboru Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:39 pm

Google found some pictures from this book:
    Seoiotoshi
    http://www.judoteachers.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/seoiotoshi-a-copy-203x300.jpg
    Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Seoiotoshi-a-copy-203x300

---------
    next others:
    Yoko gake
    Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Y%2520Yoko%2520Gake

Osotogari
    Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Osotogari-a

Ukigoshi - Jigoro Kano
    Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Ukigoshi-a-copy

Kumi
    Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Holding-a-221x300

Udegarami
    Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Y%2520Ude%2520Garami
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Empty Re: Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima

Post by Jonesy Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Here is the tai-otoshi.

Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Tai-otoshi%20-%201915
    NBK
    NBK

Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Empty Re: Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima

Post by NBK Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:04 pm

Jonesy wrote:Here is the tai-otoshi.

Judo Kyohan: A Master Text : by Sakujiro Yokoyama, Eisuke Oshima Tai-otoshi%20-%201915
    I teach the old style taiotoshi from time to time as an historic oddity. It's fun but most folks figure out how to resist it quickly, so everyone starts to understand why it changed.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:11 pm

NBK wrote:I teach the old style taiotoshi from time to time as an historic oddity.  It's fun but most folks figure out how to resist it quickly, so everyone starts to understand why it changed.  

Maybe it would work in a lower go environment ... for example the Moon or Mars ... where uke would float in a most peculiar way. Would that make it a Space Oddity?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 am