E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

2017 Kodokan Summer Course I – “Kata, Lecture and Others” Martin Savage (author) & Llŷ r Jones (editor)

noboru
    noboru

2017 Kodokan Summer Course I – “Kata, Lecture and Others” Martin Savage (author) & Llŷ r Jones (editor)  Empty 2017 Kodokan Summer Course I – “Kata, Lecture and Others” Martin Savage (author) & Llŷ r Jones (editor)

Post by noboru Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 pm

I found very nice article 2017 Kodokan Summer Course I – “Kata, Lecture and Others” Martin Savage (author) & Llŷr Jones (editor)

http://www.kanosociety.org/Bulletins/pdf%20bulletins/Bulletinx30.pdf

There is description of last judo kata course in Kodokan. I was very pleased read the instructional points to each kata and some next informations.

For example:
    from Nagenokata
    "The importance of tsurite [collar hand] was emphasised, and how it was more important than hikite [sleeve hand] by showing that with certain throws it was possible to throw with tsurite alone but not with just hikite."

from Katamenokata
    "Specifically, the IJF want to prescribe and standardise Tori's responses to Uke's escape attempts (to make judging organised kata competitions easier), whereas the Kodokan are content with any response that is logical and in accordance with the principles of judo (so that it is more useful in everyday training)."

Content of speech "Let's Improve Judo More"
    • The concept of Shu-Ha-Ri [Protect-Break-Separate] as the stages of learning to mastery.
    • Education as being the essence of judo.
    • How the purpose of judo is the formation of human character.

Opinions from judo shiai rules discussion
    Significant time was also spent discussing shiai [contest] rules - including an explanation of some of the ways in which Kodokan rules differ from the IJF's. Sameshima sensei also made a particularly insightful point, which would resonate with most traditionally orientated judoka [judo practitioners] - "Kodokan rules are designed for the competitors, IJF rules are designed for the audience".
    Udon
    Udon

2017 Kodokan Summer Course I – “Kata, Lecture and Others” Martin Savage (author) & Llŷ r Jones (editor)  Empty Re: 2017 Kodokan Summer Course I – “Kata, Lecture and Others” Martin Savage (author) & Llŷ r Jones (editor)

Post by Udon Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Sameshima Sensei nailed it.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

2017 Kodokan Summer Course I – “Kata, Lecture and Others” Martin Savage (author) & Llŷ r Jones (editor)  Empty Re: 2017 Kodokan Summer Course I – “Kata, Lecture and Others” Martin Savage (author) & Llŷ r Jones (editor)

Post by Jonesy Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:34 pm

I am glad you like the material.
    wdax

Post by wdax Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:21 pm

Nice article, but some points are not very accurate

noboru wrote:
    For example:
    from Nagenokata
    "The importance of tsurite [collar hand] was emphasised, and how it was more important than hikite [sleeve hand] by showing that with certain throws it was possible to throw with tsurite alone but not with just hikite."
    Not more important then hikite, but also very important. This was demonstrated, because some peolpe „forget“ to use their tsurite.

noboru wrote:
    from  Katamenokata
    "Specifically, the IJF want to prescribe and standardise Tori's responses to Uke's escape attempts (to make judging organised kata competitions easier), whereas the Kodokan are content with any response that is logical and in accordance with the principles of judo (so that it is more useful in everyday training)."
    I do not know, were this „information“ comes from. Due to my position in the EJU it is not wise to comment details between IJF and Kodokan, but

• Kodokan representatives are now expert members of IJF-Kata-commission.
    • IJF kata rules are based on Kodokan materials
    • Kodokan experts were in charge of kata-seminars after den Kata WC in 2014/15/16/17
    • IJF has no further judges licencing (or anything else)

IJF (and EJU) follow the Kodokan in every aspect of kata and invite the Kodokan for teaching etc. It is a delicate problem in this situation, if Kodokan teachers distance themselves as individual teachers or - even worse - in the name of the Kodokan from IJF, while at the same time striving to be a (the) leading part of it.
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:29 am

Thank you wdax for your details.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm