E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Vintage Self-Defense Maneuvers

Jihef
    Jihef

Vintage Self-Defense Maneuvers Empty Vintage Self-Defense Maneuvers

Post by Jihef Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Self-Defense Maneuvers
    c. 1895
    These images come from an untitled turn-of-the-century album which catalogued numerous maneuvers a person can use if suddenly engaged in hand-to-hand combat.

https://mashable.com/2017/03/11/self-defense-maneuvers/#z2jh.SRX95qX
    Reinberger
    Reinberger

Vintage Self-Defense Maneuvers Empty Re: Vintage Self-Defense Maneuvers

Post by Reinberger Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:29 am

To me, the man with the moustache in that pictures seems to be John J. O'Brien. However, I think the date stamping (1895) isn't correct. The pictures must have been taken a bit later, around 1900, I think.

I enclose two pictures for comparisation: The first is from "The Evening World", 20. March 1902, and shows a portrait of O'Brien near that of Pres. Roosevelt, whom he taught Jiu Jitsu for the first time, some years before Yamashita did the same. The second is from "Exercise in Education and Medicine", by R. Tait McKenzie, B A., M. D., Philadelphia and London 1909. In addition to other offices, McKenzie was professor of Physical Education and Director of the Department at the University of Pennsylvania. He was very interested in jujutsu, and tried to scientifically examinate and analyse it's operating principles, partly with the help of O'Brien, who had trained jujutsu while he was employed by the police in Nagasaki. At the beginning of the 20th century, O'Brien was considered to be it's most experienced non-Japanese practitioner in the U.S.. This pictures shows him applying an armbar to his own teacher, Inoue Kisshoku, probably when the latter was in the U.S. in 1900.

Vintage Self-Defense Maneuvers Obrien1
    Vintage Self-Defense Maneuvers Obrien

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:05 pm