E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

WTB: Jigoro Kano and the Kodokan: An Innovative Response to Modernisation

Heisenberg
    Heisenberg

WTB: Jigoro Kano and the Kodokan: An Innovative Response to Modernisation Empty WTB: Jigoro Kano and the Kodokan: An Innovative Response to Modernisation

Post by Heisenberg Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:26 pm

I'm in search of a copy of Jigoro Kano and the Kodokan:An Innovative Response to Modernisation by Alexander Bennett.

So far I've only found it in the Kodokan webs shop, but the shipping is more than the book. Is anyone aware of a USA source for the book? I know at one point the Kendo website had it but they do not anymore, or at least I cannot find it.

http://kshop.hint.co.jp/cgi-bin/kshop/kshop.pl/page=book_fr.html

Thanks, all.
    -P
    NBK
    NBK

WTB: Jigoro Kano and the Kodokan: An Innovative Response to Modernisation Empty Re: WTB: Jigoro Kano and the Kodokan: An Innovative Response to Modernisation

Post by NBK Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:32 am

I don't think it ever got into distribution outside Japan. Dr Alex Bennett, the translator, got some for sale through Kendo World but may be out.
    Jihef
    Jihef

WTB: Jigoro Kano and the Kodokan: An Innovative Response to Modernisation Empty Re: WTB: Jigoro Kano and the Kodokan: An Innovative Response to Modernisation

Post by Jihef Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:36 am

NBK wrote:I don't think it ever got into distribution outside Japan. Dr Alex Bennett, the translator, got some for sale through Kendo World but may be out.
    Hello,
    Dr Bennett has given a long series of interviews, available online.

Here is the one about Kodokan Judo. Smile

NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Alex has some errors in his take on judo but it's mostly consistent with official Kodokan 'history'. His 'Kendo World' bunch does some translating for the Kodokan but AFAIK none of his guys are judoka (not that being a judoka would help in understanding the distortions in Kodokan history).

Kano shihan did not study education at the University of Tokyo. I don't think that was even an option when he attended. He studied politics and political economy (rizaigaku) as an undergrad (three year program), then aesthetics and morality as a graduate student (one year).

He did not start teaching judo in 1882. He did not continually change judo in response to ongoing criticisms from the Ministry of Education. He did not conceive judo as a sport.

The initial martial arts 'survey' he mentions was done at the Taisô Denshujô, the National Institute of Gymnastics, part of the Ministry of Education. And he meant Dr. Erwin Bälz (kind of butchers the name).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:31 am