E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
judoratt
Jonesy
Cichorei Kano
DCS
8 posters

Judoka - Doug Rogers Documentary

DCS
    DCS

Judoka - Doug Rogers Documentary Empty Judoka - Doug Rogers Documentary

Post by DCS Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:41 am

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Judoka - Doug Rogers Documentary Empty Re: Judoka - Doug Rogers Documentary

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:16 am

DCS wrote:

Thanks for posting this. I think at the time I posted it on the old JudoForum, but recently I could only find chopped up parts of it on YouTube. Glad to see have the full version downloadable again.

I found this recording years ago on a 16mm reel, which I still have. I then investigated to transfer it onto DVD, but decided to wait some time. I am glad I did because at one point a DVD appeared and the film quality is superb. It probably was a lot cheaper for me to simply purchase the DVD (which I did) that to pay for the transfer from 16mm to DVD.

I have found this documentary very inspiration for many reasons. Like Wolfgang Hoffman and Geesink, Rogers was one of the first non-Japanese to get at that level. Although a big man, it is clear he did not simply rely on strength but invested in technique. He also seems to be so down to earth. I never had a chance to meet Kimura and it is one of my biggest regrets, as I have always sought out the best Japanese sensei I could find to teach me. This documentary somehow gives us a warm feeling as if we were there ourselves, still the best possible in the absence of the late master. I find this documentary the kind of thing that all jûdôka should watch. In my naiveté I have always thought that when attending a jûdô camp that showing these kind of things in the evening would be what would happen and what all jûdôka would be interested in. Much to my regret I could not be any further from the truth. I am still shocked when I notice that most elite jûdôka these days have never seen these documentaries, don't even care for it, instead prefer playing video games, listening to pop music on their iPod or something. Personally I find these documentaries fascinating, how they embed you in the culture how they establish that jûdô is different. Winning medals is not bad, but it seems to be only a path, not a final goal. Improving your jûdô is what one should strive for. There is also a tangible absence of money in the sense of a goal through jûdô. Instead Rogers took a job to afford food and lodging. It is all so untainted still, and the randori on the stage in the empty Budôkan has something magic. I hope that instructors, coached and other jûdôka on the forum here will encourage their friends an students to watch this. If this can't excite you in jûdô then what can, I wonder.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:07 am

Doug Rogers was an amazing judoka. He came 4th in the 1972 Olympics (Heavyweight division) despite having been out of high level competition for some time. An intelligent man he had a full career as an airline pilot from which he relatively recently retired.

How active is he now in judo?
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 am

Jonesy wrote:Doug Rogers was an amazing judoka. He came 4th in the 1972 Olympics (Heavyweight division) despite having been out of high level competition for some time. An intelligent man he had a full career as an airline pilot from which he relatively recently retired.

How active is he now in judo?

I saw Doug February last year in Vancouver, had a chance to talk with him, Doug is in good health enjoying retirement, and has not done judo for some time.
    This is the first time I have seen the full video un cut, it does a good job protraying Doug as the intelligent,sensitive gentle giant he realy is.
    JakubMB

Post by JakubMB Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:04 am

Oh, this is lovely. Very inspirational. Watching this motivates me to try and organise a group to train with.
    Anatol

Post by Anatol Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:42 am

Doug Rogers has his 73th birthday today.

Great Documentation, great man.
    afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:19 am

Never worked out with him but talked a few times and he was a great guy and interesting to talk with.  One of the great forgotten Judoka in the world; not only for his shiai, but IMHO he was total Judo.  Glad he caught up with my age Smile Happy Birthday, Doug.
    jkw

Post by jkw Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:08 am

The o-soto-gari uchi-Komi at 5.03 is quite interesting to watch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:18 am