E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Strapping an ankle

Quicksilver
    Quicksilver

Strapping an ankle Empty Strapping an ankle

Post by Quicksilver Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:44 am

Greetings,

I'm looking for a reliable resource explaining how to strap an ankle, specifically to provide
    support to an injury to the medial side, and was wondering whether you guys might be able
    to suggest one? Online would be ideal, but if anyone knows of a textbook or the like that
    would have this information that would also be great.

Thank you!

Regards,

-Q
    Stacey
    Stacey

Strapping an ankle Empty Re: Strapping an ankle

Post by Stacey Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:15 am

I don't know a good resource other than me. Yes, me. Me of the grotesque ankle fame. I wrote a bit with diagrams on the old Judo Forum, but the pics are on a now dead computer. Don't make me go back and get them. Instead, I might just have to do it from scratch. Let me try a written description, and if that doesn't take, then I'll do some pictures or something of my method.

Pre-wrap first, unless your skin is tough and you don't mind missing a bit of hair. With the staph burn around my surgical scar, the skin is a bit friable, so I have to add some prewrap over that area at the least (or it becomes a bit bloody, and while I'm not opposed to blood, unnecessary blood is something I try to avoid). So pre-wrap, from just beneath the ball of your foot to about where your sock ends on a crew neck type sock.

Now, use your athletic tape to start with your anchors. there should be 2; one just beneath the ball of your foot, and one at the top of your prewrap. These are loops of tape that go all the way around the appendage - not too tight but not too loose. You don't want the tape coming off, so you anchor all the way around.

Next, you stirrup tape. Take pieces of tape that are long enough to stretch from one side of your top anchor, down your ankle, around your heel, and up to the other side of the ankle. You want to put in a few of these, one slightly overlapping the other.

Stirrup tape in the other direction - go from your foot anchor to around your heel and back to the anchor on the other side.

Then, you're going to do your figure eights. Start at your leg anchor, interior or exterior. Crossover the top of your ankle, wrap under your foot just like the stirrup, and then cross over your ankle again to the other side of the leg anchor. Do this a number of times until it feels sturdy.

You'll then maybe want to figure 8 from the foot anchor. Just don't point your toe when you do this or you'll make your Achille's a bit miserable. Keep your toes pointed up at you.

Once you've done that, you'll want to start at your leg anchor with the entire roll of tape and wind it down, all the way down, like you're wrapping a baseball bat handle. Do the same thing from your foot anchor.

By now, you have the tape equivalent of a cast. You won't be able to move it very much, but you should feel secure.
    Quicksilver
    Quicksilver

Post by Quicksilver Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Stacey- thank you, that is very helpful. Smile I think I do understand what you describe and will try it tomorrow.

Regards,

-Q
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:41 pm

Just get it in good condition for Saturday Training.
    Oh, think CRICKET BAT, not that Baseball stick thingy that Stacey mentions Very Happy
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:09 am

Steve Leadbeater wrote:Just get it in good condition for Saturday Training.
    Oh, think CRICKET BAT, not that Baseball stick thingy that Stacey mentions Very Happy

since when do crickets play baseball? Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:30 pm