E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

New York Times article on catastrophic judo injuries in children

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

New York Times article on catastrophic judo injuries in children Empty New York Times article on catastrophic judo injuries in children

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:19 am

New York Times article on catastrophic judo injuries in children
    HumanRevolution
    HumanRevolution

New York Times article on catastrophic judo injuries in children Empty Re: New York Times article on catastrophic judo injuries in children

Post by HumanRevolution Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:58 am

Judo has a violent nature.
    still learning

New York Times article on catastrophic judo injuries in children Empty Re: New York Times article on catastrophic judo injuries in children

Post by still learning Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 am

Shocking article.

Despite whatever faults there may be with British judo, all BJA registered clubs should have child protection officers and club coaches who have completed a child protection component within their coaching accreditation. Whilst this is not perfect it does provide an element of protection for all young judoka.

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:07 am

still learning wrote:Shocking article.

Despite whatever faults there may be with British judo, all BJA registered clubs should have child protection officers and club coaches who have completed a child protection component within their coaching accreditation. Whilst this is not perfect it does provide an element of protection for all young judoka.

Does it ? Is the number of whatever incidents you are referring to significantly less in those BJA clubs than in clubs of another federation either in Britain or abroad ? Or is it just an argument we use to support a rule without the feedback being there to underpin whether that system actually does what it claims.
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:46 am

The willful ignorance on display by the Japanese makes me shake my head.
    still learning

Post by still learning Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:55 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    still learning wrote:Shocking article.

Does it ? Is the number of whatever incidents you are referring to significantly less in those BJA clubs than in clubs of another federation either in Britain or abroad ? Or is it just an argument we use to support a rule without the feedback being there to underpin whether that system actually does what it claims.

Good question to which I do not have any statistics to answer accurately. However, given that the BJA focus on child protection, insisting that all clubs have a club welfare officer, publishing policies and guidelines certainly gives this area the focus it deserves. Maybe I have just been fortunate, but I have never heard any horror stories and have never seen a judoka in a position where I felt intervention was required.

There will unfortunately always be accidents and injuries in any contact sport (I know only too well as I am waiting for knee surgery at present) eradicating all risks is not possible, but encouraging safe practice is. Safe practice is the minimum any judoka should be able to expect, and this coupled with checks on coaches and welfare officers for past incidents is certainly a good starting position.

This does not mean the system is perfect, but it does provide confidence that the likelihood of such terrible situations as mentioned in the article happening is significantly reduced.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:13 am