E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+20
Tai-Jutsu
dimitris-gre
Cichorei Kano
DarthVader
Von_Adams
LeighJudo
seatea
HumanRevolution
oscarthehound
still learning
Stacey
afulldeck
JudoMojo
ItchyKomi
Jimgo
OldeEnglishD
genetic judoka
Davaro
Rob GBR
JudoStu
24 posters

What gi/s do you wear?

LeighJudo
    LeighJudo

What gi/s do you wear? - Page 2 Empty Re: What gi/s do you wear?

Post by LeighJudo Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Adidas J930 IJF and Essimo Gold IJF. Top quality gi's,

Also used the Dax Moskito in the past. Great gi, stiff as a board which makes it difficult for other fighters to grip.

I never wear a gi straight out the wrapper. Always wash it first so that the stitching tightens up to give it maximum strength.
    Von_Adams

Post by Von_Adams Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:24 pm

JudoStu wrote:Buying gis second hand is a good idea. Because they have already been washed a number of times you don’t need to worry about shrinkage. Therefore if the person selling tells you the dimensions of the gi you’ll know right away if it will be a good fit.

Exactly. E-bay... Broken in, not going to shrink, comfortable, and...cheap.
    DarthVader
    DarthVader

Post by DarthVader Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:03 am

I Have 2 Dax Moskitos (I love those armors), 1 Matsuru Mondial (IJF), 1 Kholer (portuguese brand) and 1 Adidas Master (Don't use anymore, it's on the shelf... It was one amazing Gi with a slim fit).

Planning on buying (maybe) a Mizuno or another Matsuru.

When I'm rich I will buy a Yawara just for teaching Smile
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:09 am

DarthVader wrote:I Have 2 Dax Moskitos (I love those armors), 1 Matsuru Mondial (IJF), 1 Kholer (portuguese brand) and 1 Adidas Master (Don't use anymore, it's on the shelf... It was one amazing Gi with a slim fit).

Planning on buying (maybe) a Mizuno or another Matsuru.

When I'm rich I will buy a Yawara just for teaching Smile
    Darth Vader is wearing a gi ? Is it just me or does everyone else have a hart time imagining that ? I am trying to picture either a white or blue gi over the black suit.
    DarthVader
    DarthVader

Post by DarthVader Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:33 pm

CK, a few days ago a former student of mine that now is in Denmark, told me that I was to traditional... so as a traditional guy, I choose white over my black suit.

Despite that, I'm on the good side of the force, but my student went to the dark side... he started training BJJ Very Happy

I love the newaza work and on saturdays mornings its only newaza. He fall in love with the Newaza and now that he went to finish his Phd in Denmark he started doing BJJ.

Ain't life a funny thing Smile
    dimitris-gre
    dimitris-gre

Post by dimitris-gre Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:14 pm

Adidas champion gi white,Matsuru champion blue and 3 white matsuru competition
    Tai-Jutsu
    Tai-Jutsu

Post by Tai-Jutsu Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:22 pm

For in Dojo Ju Jutsu-Combatives training

All #5 Tops

White Ronin Single Weave Gi Judogi type

Black Ronin Double/Single weave Judogi

White Golden Tiger Judogi

Gi pants or Black Shorts (easier with knee gear) with Underarmour compression shirt (No Gi)and shorts.

I just never had the desire to pay a lot for a gi and the Ronins are what I started with. We do maybe about a quarter of the grabbing by the Gi that you Judoka do in the same amount of time? So they last fairly well.

I got my son a blue Ronin and after shrinking it we had it tailored at the sleeves and pants when I took it to have the schol patch sewd on.. Classic 60's cut with the longer skirt and shorter pants on him (He's a tall kid) and I commented that it's the first time I ever spent more than $60 on a Gi and pathces.

I want a nicer one now for myself🎅  in BLUE!Very Happy
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:15 am

Mizuno and Kusakura.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:40 am

Sakura
    Bokura (Taiwanese Sakura knockoff)
    Shokodo (private store, main store near Dogenzaka, Shibuya Shokodo Martial Arts good value
    Shokodo Judo Keikogi
    I practice with a lot of beginners, and a full up 'competition' or 'sensei' grade gi seems too thick and hard for newbies to get a grip, so I tend to wear thinner weaves.  I rotate them a lot and always need extra clean ones.  

Shokodo has the added 'benefit' of being just about ground zero of the biggest youth sex area in Japan - which seems pretty active to me, despite the idiotic stories recently of young Japanese not being interested in sex.    Lots of love hotels, shows, and equipment stores.  I went once with my Southern Baptist mother, unthinking, and her eyes got bigger and bigger, trying to figure out what all she was seeing.  Passing by the Japanese equivalent of Dr. Mueller's Sex Shop, she finally said, what is this place?  

I think they're movie props and costumes, I said, c'mon, let's go, we're late....
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:50 am

NBK wrote:

I think they're movie props and costumes, I said, c'mon, let's go, we're late....
    I have some names in mind of potential 'actors' and 'actresses' ...
    David Waterhouse

Post by David Waterhouse Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:10 pm

Is it too late to point out that "gi" is incorrect Japanese? As an independent Sino-Japanese word "gi" has many meanings, according to the Chinese character used to write it; but none of them is the "-gi" of "jūdōgi" or "keikogi", which is the native Japanese verb-stem "ki", as in "kimono" ("something worn"), and which would never be used by itself.

David Waterhouse
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:30 pm

David Waterhouse wrote:Is it too late to point out that "gi" is incorrect Japanese? As an independent Sino-Japanese word "gi" has many meanings, according to the Chinese character used to write it; but none of them is the "-gi" of "jūdōgi" or "keikogi", which is the native Japanese verb-stem "ki", as in "kimono" ("something worn"), and which would never be used by itself.

David Waterhouse
    Well said. I've said it myself....
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:38 am

Now that is straightened out let's change the title to; "What kimono do you wear?"
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:20 am

finarashi wrote:Now that is straightened out let's change the title to; "What kimono do you wear?"
    There are people who wear kimono in jûdô ?  I mean, today in 2013, and here in the West ?

Of course always possible. Here's a nice selection:

What gi/s do you wear? - Page 2 5163267_f520
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:34 am

Judogi is mostly referred to as "kimono" in France.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:34 am

Jonesy wrote:Judogi is mostly referred to as "kimono" in France.
    I hear they eat snails, too, so no accounting for taste or common sense.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:39 am

David Waterhouse wrote:Is it too late to point out that "gi" is incorrect Japanese? As an independent Sino-Japanese word "gi" has many meanings, according to the Chinese character used to write it; but none of them is the "-gi" of "jūdōgi" or "keikogi", which is the native Japanese verb-stem "ki", as in "kimono" ("something worn"), and which would never be used by itself.

David Waterhouse
    I think popular useage overcame that.

着 ・ ぎ
    Noun, Noun suffix
    clothes; outfit; uniform; gi

Images.google.com + 着 = a few million hits.

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:47 am

NBK wrote:
    Jonesy wrote:Judogi is mostly referred to as "kimono" in France.
    I hear they eat snails, too, so no accounting for taste or common sense.
    That's the same country where linguists have determined that the female form of jûdôka is 'jûdôkate', yet where people shiver if, God almighty, you dare to mix up 'le' and 'la'. You don't want to experience that, so if I can be of any help, do remind that in France most female body parts are male ...
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:40 am

NBK wrote:

David Waterhouse
    I think popular useage overcame that.

着 ・ ぎ
    Noun, Noun suffix
    clothes; outfit; uniform; gi

Images.google.com + 着 = a few million hits.

Just tried this and I do not get any returns of jûdôgi or keikogi upon a search of google images with the kanji "着".

A general google search under this kanji does not give "a few million hits", but about 1,830,000 most of those going to Chinese websites that have nothing to do with budô at all. when I look specifically for Japanese sites, I get about 12,400 returns, some of them indeed with martial arts clothing. I do notice that searches with either 稽古着 or 稽古衣 yield returns with martial arts clothing.

I am providing this information solely so that anyone interested can simply start here and doesn't have to do it themselves.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:59 am

Oh.. I guess 2m is not few enough to suit you. .... I shall endeavor to be more precise in my pointless posts in the future.

of course they're mostly, maybe exclusively, in combinations but I count 8-10 judogi at a glance in the first page of 'gi'. You might notice them as the white or blue clothing. maybe there's a diff in which Google site is used.

interesting, I never noticed before but many of the commercial sites actually cite 'judo-i' 柔道衣 as in 'judo clothing' rather than 'judo-gi'. Maybe that's meant to cover broader areas, including undergarments, but not clear, either.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:25 pm

NBK wrote:Oh.. I guess 2m is not few enough to suit you.   .... I shall endeavor to be more precise in my pointless posts in the future.
    I was not trying to nitpick, but simply attempting to point out that I did not find the same abundance as suggested, and that among those results returned there on my computer there was no such proportion of significant examples.

NBK wrote:
    You might notice them as the white or blue clothing.  maybe there's a diff in which Google site is used.  
    Nope, nothing like that, no jûdôgi, no "white or blue clothing", nothing like that.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I think the returned results are in this case not so much the consequence of how we use of Google, but they are likely determined by your location. I suspect that given your location, it will also return more sites based on words that are synonyms. For that reason, the results we get using the same search using the same search engine may be quite different.

By, the way, you can also see a similar event when using YouTube. The movies depicted on the starting page there differ depending on the location recognized by the computer. Clearly, Google decides what to return based on IP address.

You will see this if you do a research using a search term of something that is present in every country and by preference using a word that is identical in several languages. An example of that is "restaurant". The returned results are then completely different between computers depending on your IP address. Your first page will guarantee included at least some sites that are located in the country in which your IP address is located.

I also notice that when I use kanji, that the returns I get are primarily Chinese; I believe this is not so if one's IP address is, for example, in another country that abundantly uses kanji, such as for example, Japan. This also has further consequences. Depending on a the location, Google may "interpret" the search term and include results for a "wrong" term by "guessing" what the correct term might be and by including synonyms for that term as may exist in that location. So, the fact that it returns X number of sites in response to a certain kanji does not imply that all those sites 'use' the kanji, but will likely include a considerable number of returns through synonym guessing, the number of which will differ by the location Google establishes you're in and the language spoken there, or at least, spoken there according to Google's interpretation.

In practical terms, I think that if me and you would pdf the first page of returns using the same search term and exchange or compare those pdf's that there would be considerable differences.

While I am not an expert in Internet, I did work for some time for a company that was a market leader in natural language software, and I worked precisely on data mining and how these things work with regard to medical databases including voice commands. When a physician, for example, dictated a recipe including the wrong doses, the software had to be able to question that and refuse or correct it. Moreover, the database was multilingual and I was, inter alia responsible for creation of the Japanese components. We also created databases with medical literature regarding the effectiveness of search engines. The rationale was that there was an abundance of information, and search had to be able to yield relevant results, so really what is about the definition of 'data mining'. I know that our technology was sold to some major US companies, and I do recognize some similarities in how Google functions hence my attention for these aspects without any intent to discredit those who make use of it.

So, no mischief behind my post, just assessing the structural reasons that may be responsible for leading to a certain result, which one might want to take into account when arriving at a conclusion. That's all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:15 pm