E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+6
Ricebale
Hanon
JudoMojo
Rob GBR
Blacksmith
JudoStu
10 posters

Anyone got a grading coming up soon?

JudoStu
    JudoStu

Anyone got a grading coming up soon? Empty Anyone got a grading coming up soon?

Post by JudoStu Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:36 am

I’ve got my blue belt (2nd kyu) grading to do in the next month. Written down it sure does look a lot

FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS
    Tachi-waza:
    • Koshi -guruma
    • Tani-otoshi
    • Yoko-guruma
    • Tomoe-nage
    • Kata-uchi -ashi -dori
    • Soto-kibisu-gaeshi
    • Kata-guruma
    • Morote-gari
    • Soto-ashi -dori -ouchi -gari
    • Uchi-kibisu-gaeshi

Shime-waza:
    • Okuri-eri-jime
    • Nami-juji-jime
    • Gyaku-juji-jime

Kansetsu-waza:
    • Ude-garami

PERFORMANCE SKILLS
    Combination Techniques:
    • Ude-garami from Kuzure-kesa-gatame

Tachi-waza:
    • Yoko-kata-guruma-otoshi

Ne-waza:
    • Koshi -jime – Uke makes Seoi-otoshi (dropping attack)
    • Kata-te-jime - Uke in “all fours” position
    • Nami-juji-jime – Uke on top (between Tori’s legs)
    • Gyaku-juji-jime – Uke on top (between Tori’s legs)
    • Okuri-eri-jime – Uke makes Seoi-otoshi (dropping attack)

Tachi-waza:
    Kumi-kata:
    • introduction to performance Kumi-kata (gripping) skills

Randori:
    • demonstration of attacking defence, avoidance, continuous attacking performance skills in Tachi -waza and
    Ne-waza in Randori with a co-operative partner

PERSONAL CHOICE 1
    Candidates are required to:
    • select and demonstrate four techniques from the BJA Technical Grading Syllabus and demonstrate them
    individually and then as a series combinations and counters

OR
    PERSONAL CHOICE 2
    Kata
    • demonstrate any two sets of the Nage-no-kata or any two sets of the Katame-no-kata or either of first 2
    sets of the Go-no-sen-no-kata

TERMINOLOGY AND SUPPLEMENTARY KNOWLEDGE
    Candidates are required to:
    • know the common English translations and meaning of all Japanese terminology used in this section and
    must be able to discuss with the Examiner the reasons for their choice of technique, grip etc
    NOTES
    1. During the Randori demonstration the player will be required to demonstrate knowledge of basic
    performance skills e.g. Kumi-kata, Renzoku-waza, Renraku-waza and Kaeshi -waza. The duration of the
    Randori will be approximately four minutes.

2. For the personal choice element, techniques must be demonstrated in an appropriate practical situation
    that includes attacking opportunity, best grip and appropriate movement. Demonstrations must include
    two combinations, two counters and two transitions into ne-waza. Combinations and counters can be
    either tachi-waza or ne-waza or a combination of both. Techniques must be demonstrated in an
    appropriate practical situation that includes attacking opportunity, best grip and appropriate movement.
    It is expected that the player will select appropriate techniques which will allow for the demonstration of
    the more advanced combinations and counters.

3. Kata is offered as personal choice for this grade. Demonstrations must be performed in the traditional
    manner and include the formal opening and closing bowing procedures.
    Blacksmith
    Blacksmith

Anyone got a grading coming up soon? Empty Re: Anyone got a grading coming up soon?

Post by Blacksmith Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:50 am

I'd wish you luck, but its not so much about luck or chance as hard preparation. If your sensei believes you ready to test, you probably are. On the other hand, any waza with 4 hyphens in the name may require a little luck in remembering just the name!

Please let us know when congratulations are in order.
    Rob GBR
    Rob GBR

Anyone got a grading coming up soon? Empty Re: Anyone got a grading coming up soon?

Post by Rob GBR Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:11 am

good luck with your 2nd kyu, and as blacksmith said, its just prep, learn the translations and keep going over the throws in your head and you will be fine!

remmember you get scored on each technique out of 10, for 10 points you have to do the throw correctly AND break there balance, dont rush your throws, and you may be asked why you used a certain grip or to do the throw left handed
    JudoMojo
    JudoMojo

Post by JudoMojo Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:55 am

Nice one, I wouldn't sweat the grading, everyone knows that the quadruple-barrel named techniques were just made up by Roy Inman anyway! Just remember which one is which and you should be fine.
    I have my 1st kyu coming up. Would have probably had it done already but its been delayed and then I cut up my toe which needed stitches. Maybe sometime next week I'll test. Then onwards to competing with dan grades in feb- Exciting stuff!
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:10 am

I would fail that exam! There are techniques in that syllabus I have never heard of, can't reference in any of the 120 plus books I have and non of my peers over here have heard of them either? The ones I have not heard of don't make a jot of sense in true Japanese language.

I guess you must be using the infamous UK BJA syllabus? Makes such a mockery of judo, the Japanese language and a grading syllabus.

Regardless, you have to pass an exam so all you can do is be prepared by learning what is required of you. I wish you the very best and if I can help you at all with the techniques I know please fire away, lol.

Mike
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:11 am

JudoMojo wrote:Nice one, I wouldn't sweat the grading, everyone knows that the quadruple-barrel named techniques were just made up by Roy Inman anyway! Just remember which one is which and you should be fine.
    I have my 1st kyu coming up. Would have probably had it done already but its been delayed and then I cut up my toe which needed stitches. Maybe sometime next week I'll test. Then onwards to competing with dan grades in feb- Exciting stuff!

Good luck with your exam also. Let us know how it goes.

Mike
    JudoMojo
    JudoMojo

Post by JudoMojo Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:32 am

Hanon wrote:
    JudoMojo wrote:Nice one, I wouldn't sweat the grading, everyone knows that the quadruple-barrel named techniques were just made up by Roy Inman anyway! Just remember which one is which and you should be fine.

Mike

Thanks, and I will do!

Also, you can see I wasn't exaggerating when I said Roy Inman made up those quadruple barreled names! ...I don't suppose you are familiar with Kata-hiza-te-ouchi-gake-ashi-dori? Shocked
    To me it translates to: shoulder-knee-hand-major inner hook-leg grab. It is part of the 1st kyu grading, and in reality resembles ouchi gari with same-side leg grab finish, I have no idea why "kata-hiza-te-" is in the name at the start though.
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:18 am

JudoMojo wrote:
    Hanon wrote:

Mike

Thanks, and I will do!

Also, you can see I wasn't exaggerating when I said Roy Inman made up those quadruple barreled names! ...I don't suppose you are familiar with Kata-hiza-te-ouchi-gake-ashi-dori? Shocked
    To me it translates to: shoulder-knee-hand-major inner hook-leg grab. It is part of the 1st kyu grading, and in reality resembles ouchi gari with same-side leg grab finish, I have no idea why "kata-hiza-te-" is in the name at the start though.

I have this scenario in my mind where one day some Kodokan 10th dan, like Daigo sensei, will be in the UK and he will be asked to preside over a BJA exam. A syllabus would be placed in front of him and candidates for the exam asked to perform the techniques. Now, one or two candidates ask Daigo sensei for an explanation of one of these ...'peculiar'...techniques!Twisted Evil. Can you imagine how Daigo sensei may react?:evil:Cool. If it was Abe sensei I dare write he would rip the syllabus up!Rolling Eyes.

Originating from a person with very little ability in his own language its rather ironic he has tried to re invent the Japanese language. Such a brilliant coach and man on the mat. What possessed him to write this nonsense? I already regret writing this.....

Mike
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 am

Hanon wrote:
    JudoMojo wrote:
    Hanon wrote:

Mike

Thanks, and I will do!

I have this scenario in my mind where one day some Kodokan 10th dan, like Daigo sensei, will be in the UK and he will be asked to preside over a BJA exam. A syllabus would be placed in front of him and candidates for the exam asked to perform the techniques. Now, one or two candidates ask Daigo sensei for an explanation of one of these ...'peculiar'...techniques!Twisted Evil. Can you imagine how Daigo sensei may react?:evil:Cool. If it was Abe sensei I dare write he would rip the syllabus up!Rolling Eyes.

Originating from a person with very little ability in his own language its rather ironic he has tried to re invent the Japanese language. Such a brilliant coach and man on the mat. What possessed him to write this nonsense? I already regret writing this.....

Mike

My coach said something similar. The only place I can find the more obscure Inman techniques is here is on the BJA website http://britishjudoeducation.org.uk/blue/soto-ashi-dori-ouchi-gari/
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:51 am

JudoStu wrote:
    Hanon wrote:
    JudoMojo wrote:
    Hanon wrote:

Mike

Thanks, and I will do!

Mike

My coach said something similar. The only place I can find the more obscure Inman techniques is here is on the BJA website http://britishjudoeducation.org.uk/blue/soto-ashi-dori-ouchi-gari/

Thank you so much for the clip. You see I known that renraku waza as Kuchiki taoshi, sometimes called kuchiki daoshi. Its not a waza in itself but a renraku waza. Even more odd is when a child this was the first renraku waza I had success with is shiai. At the best this is a henka waza and has no real title at all.

The only thing certain is it is not "soto ashi dori o uchi gari" . Soto and uchi as one waza. Absurd really? Never mind.

Thanks,

Mike
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:31 am

I'm putting a guy up for 2kyu in a couple of months, very different syllabus though.

We follow the Gokyu throw chart with each group per kyu level, so for blue he will need to know the first 4 kyu. He is expected to demonstrate counters and combos as required, plus transitions into groundwork. Groundwork is similar to what you have and he will need to know the Nage-no-kata first 3 parts.

For brown he would need to know the 5 kyu plus whole Nage-no-kata as an addition to above.

The terminology I find difficult in your description, as I am not conversant in Japanese I tend to avoid stringing words together. We use English as the language in the lesson and pick up the Japanese as a transition when guys get more experience and are heading to grading.

I'll have a few guys going to yellow (5th) and orange (4th) with the requirements being 1st and 2nd Gokyu respectfully.

The theory of this system is that at 1 kyu you will have been assessed on a the 5 groups of Gokyu throws plus counters and combos.

This may change at some point as we were looking at switching to an alternate grading criteria from Eastern Europe to better fit with the Sambo program but for the moment the Gokyu system seems to be the easiest for people to follow.

Good luck with the grading!

Cheers

JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Hanon wrote:
    JudoStu wrote:
    Hanon wrote:
    JudoMojo wrote:
    Hanon wrote:

Mike

Thanks, and I will do!

Mike

Thank you so much for the clip. You see I known that renraku waza as Kuchiki taoshi, sometimes called kuchiki daoshi. Its not a waza in itself but a renraku waza. Even more odd is when a child this was the first renraku waza I had success with is shiai. At the best this is a henka waza and has no real title at all.

The only thing certain is it is not "soto ashi dori o uchi gari" . Soto and uchi as one waza. Absurd really? Never mind.

Thanks,

Mike

According to my grading sheet, Soto-ashi-dori-ouchi-gari = Outside leg grab major inner sweep &

Yoko-kata-guruma-otoshi = side shoulder wheel body drop

I must admit, I have no knowledge of how the Japanese language works but surely someone inside the BJA does and should have pointed out these errors to Mr Inman.
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:40 pm

Ricebale wrote:I'm putting a guy up for 2kyu in a couple of months, very different syllabus though.

We follow the Gokyu throw chart with each group per kyu level, so for blue he will need to know the first 4 kyu. He is expected to demonstrate counters and combos as required, plus transitions into groundwork. Groundwork is similar to what you have and he will need to know the Nage-no-kata first 3 parts.

For brown he would need to know the 5 kyu plus whole Nage-no-kata as an addition to above.

The terminology I find difficult in your description, as I am not conversant in Japanese I tend to avoid stringing words together. We use English as the language in the lesson and pick up the Japanese as a transition when guys get more experience and are heading to grading.

I'll have a few guys going to yellow (5th) and orange (4th) with the requirements being 1st and 2nd Gokyu respectfully.

The theory of this system is that at 1 kyu you will have been assessed on a the 5 groups of Gokyu throws plus counters and combos.

This may change at some point as we were looking at switching to an alternate grading criteria from Eastern Europe to better fit with the Sambo program but for the moment the Gokyu system seems to be the easiest for people to follow.

Good luck with the grading!

Cheers

working through the sets of the Gokyu sounds like a logical thing to do. With regards to Kata, you don't have to learn any of it to get to Shodan in the UK. I'm personally not a fan of Kata and its unlikely i'll ever rise above the rank Shodan in my Judo life so this suits me.

Hopefully i'll be doign more of my grading tonight so I have the BJA website open on my work PC and my grading sheet in front of me so I can learn all the Japanese terminology albeit Roy Inman's version of:D
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 am

I have heard that the Inman techniques are not a permanent fixture in the BJA syllabus? And that we may lose them shortly; fingers crossed.

The thing is, they have been knocking round for years now and they haven't caught on in the slightest, they still send everyone rummaging for the BJA handbook at every grading. They make no sense named the way they are and they make the BJA look silly to the rest of the world.

Good luck with your gradings! bounce
    JudoMojo
    JudoMojo

Post by JudoMojo Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:56 am

Today I received my 1st kyu (brown belt). Cool

Now onto my first 1st kyu up (dan grades!) division comp in a few weeks, expect to see video of me getting beat up bounce
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 am

JudoMojo wrote:Today I received my 1st kyu (brown belt). Cool

Now onto my first 1st kyu up (dan grades!) division comp in a few weeks, expect to see video of me getting beat up bounce

congrats on your brown belt.

I havent managed to do any more of my blue belt grading yet. Some people will say "there's no rush" but I really don't want to be fighting fit young guys for my black belt when i'm 45
    Blacksmith
    Blacksmith

Post by Blacksmith Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:16 am

JudoStu wrote:

I havent managed to do any more of my blue belt grading yet. Some people will say "there's no rush" but I really don't want to be fighting fit young guys for my black belt when i'm 45

There are those who would consider 45 to be young! With age come wisdom and guile...
    JudoMojo
    JudoMojo

Post by JudoMojo Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:26 am

JudoStu wrote:

Thanks man.
    Its the opposite for me at 22. I'm just dying to be beat up! If there's one thing I can offer, its that I can take many hard falls.
    Shodan is next target, gonna try hit as many shiai as possible to adapt to the higher level, and (hopefully) gain points.
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 pm

I got my 2nd kyu (blue belt) on Tuesday. It's taken a while to complete, due mainly to the club not really having the resources to spend whole sessions just grading me whilst still teaching the rest of the club.
    Anyway my Instructor reckons that, because I was green belt for well over a year I could grade for brown before the end of this year.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:10 pm

JudoStu wrote:I got my 2nd kyu (blue belt) on Tuesday. It's taken a while to complete, due mainly to the club not really having the resources to spend whole sessions just grading me whilst still teaching the rest of the club.
    Anyway my Instructor reckons that, because I was green belt for well over a year I could grade for brown before the end of this year.

Congrads
    JudoMojo
    JudoMojo

Post by JudoMojo Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:30 pm

JudoStu wrote:I got my 2nd kyu (blue belt) on Tuesday. It's taken a while to complete, due mainly to the club not really having the resources to spend whole sessions just grading me whilst still teaching the rest of the club.

Congrats man. Yeah should be alright grading up I imagine, plenty of time left this year. I found I was at blue for ages (over a year) but then I was already a decent brown belt by the time I graded... which is not a feeling I had on any other grade!

I have picked up 20/100 points towards my 1st dan now... Might have been more had I not dislocated my kneecap again Mad Just have to get down to some dan gradings now... If I get 1st dan before sep then that will be white to black in under 4 years! (not counting on it though)
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:56 am

Those Inman names are laughable and make no sense. He sounds like he's throwing together random words he heard on Japanese tv.
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:29 am

JudoMojo wrote:

Congrats man. Yeah should be alright grading up I imagine, plenty of time left this year. I found I was at blue for ages (over a year) but then I was already a decent brown belt by the time I graded... which is not a feeling I had on any other grade!

I have picked up 20/100 points towards my 1st dan now... Might have been more had I not dislocated my kneecap again Mad Just have to get down to some dan gradings now... If I get 1st dan before sep then that will be white to black in under 4 years! (not counting on it though)
    If you do get it in under 4 years that will be impressive.
    How often do you train?
    JudoMojo
    JudoMojo

Post by JudoMojo Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:03 am

JudoStu wrote:
    If you do get it in under 4 years that will be impressive.
    How often do you train?

It varies, but as I train as much as I possibly can for the most part Very Happy

Been 5x a week pretty solidly for the past 9 months or so now, improved A LOT. Over the past years I've tried to do at least 2-3 a week and hit up some bjj ect lessons to fill up gaps if there wasn't much judo available.

Ryvai
    Ryvai

Post by Ryvai Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Hanon wrote:The only thing certain is it is not "soto ashi dori o uchi gari" . Soto and uchi as one waza. Absurd really? Never mind.
    I totaly agree with you Hanon. This exact situation is shown in Daigo sensei's book Kodokan throwing techniques as Kuchiki-taoshi. UK syllabus names are rubbish imo. Instead of forcing someone to perform a renraku/renzoku-waza version of a traditional throw as ONE attacking technique is crazy. Instead put Kuchiki-taoshi in the syllabus and suggest that situation as a solution to demonstrate the technique.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:05 pm