E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

MMA Fan's Guide to Grappling: Judo

Ricebale
    Ricebale

MMA Fan's Guide to Grappling: Judo Empty MMA Fan's Guide to Grappling: Judo

Post by Ricebale Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:44 am

From this link:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/7/15/4502360/ufc-mma-fans-guide-to-grappling-olympic-judo-ronda-rousey-highlights-video

Strengths: The good side of Judo's very limiting rules is that it forces Judoka to assume an upright grappling stance, which transitions very well to MMA.

On the ground it is a mixed bag for Judoka. Under the current rule set competitors can get away with very little ground grappling ability, but some Judoka do excel in this area. Generally speaking all Judoka are versed in pins and have good, heavy top pressure when working from the top.

Pretty basic but good guide to the non judoka imo.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

MMA Fan's Guide to Grappling: Judo Empty Re: MMA Fan's Guide to Grappling: Judo

Post by Q mystic Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:46 am

Good post.

Also just wanted you to know that I had just recently surpassed you on the Top 20 Posters List.Very Happy 
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:48 am

Q mystic wrote:Good post.

Also just wanted you to know that I had just recently surpassed you on the Top 20 Posters List.Very Happy 

Really, you passed me??
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

I don't believe it
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

I'll go check
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:51 am

Damn you are right, 3 more than me!
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:54 am

Ricebale wrote:Damn you are right, 3 more than me!

Stats don't lie..

and I didn't try.Very Happy 
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:58 am

here's one benefit they didn't happen to mention. Speed and power. HUGE!lol

It's pretty important I think and I don't think as relative as many seem to believe.

Can your typical bjjer develop this? Not the same as judoka imo.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:36 am

Especially power in the core band, I have found this to be highly developed in Judo
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:21 am

Ricebale wrote:Especially power in the core band, I have found this to be highly developed in Judo

I think so too, and core in this case reflects as much on out as any other similar sport but I think in just as much more in the brain part. Reflex might be similar but not with the opportunity judo offers imo.

In how CK refers to the complexity of measuring judoka for instance. I think this goes well beyond wrestlers or boxers. Not just tech but game as well. Game more than anything really.

I think that the failure of judoka to own mma is more a stat on the social aspect of judo and mma.  Speed and strength diminish more than endurance (ala newaza) but that there is more than enuff time for judoka to develop a greater game for newaza over the longer haul. Not a necessity at all really tho in 3 - 5 minute matches but that's argumentative.lol

I do understand, from what I see from you, you agree somewhat. Just chat.Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:14 am