E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+9
Stacey
Wisconsinite
NYCNewbie
BillC
JudoSensei
Steve Leadbeater
Cichorei Kano
afulldeck
Lurker
13 posters

Richard Riehle Promoted to Yondan

Lurker

Richard Riehle Promoted to Yondan Empty Richard Riehle Promoted to Yondan

Post by Lurker Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Congratulations!cheers 
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Richard Riehle Promoted to Yondan Empty Re: Richard Riehle Promoted to Yondan

Post by afulldeck Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:15 pm

Yes congratulations...
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:44 pm

That is excellent news ! Congrats to him !!
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Congratulations Riehle Sensei thumbs 

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Congratulations Richard! I'm not sure if he's on this forum but in case he isn't please pass along my regards.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:59 am

Dave R. wrote:I'm not sure if he's on this forum
    Maybe's he is just hanging out having fun ...

JudoSensei
    JudoSensei

Post by JudoSensei Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:04 am

Congratulations Richard. Godan is not that far away now...
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:03 am

JudoSensei wrote:Congratulations Richard. Godan is not that far away now...
    Yeah ... at your guys age get away from that #4 as quickly as possible!

Congrats Mr. Riehle.
    NYCNewbie

Post by NYCNewbie Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:12 am

Congratulations! What a wonderful, deserved honor!
    Wisconsinite
    Wisconsinite

Post by Wisconsinite Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:31 am

cheers Very Happy goodjob 
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:33 am

you can check out the action shots here:

Many congrats, Richard Riehle! Well deserved!
    Richard Riehle

Post by Richard Riehle Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Many thanks to all my Judo friends, those who I get to train with in person, as well as those from whom I have learned so much over the many decades I have enjoyed Judo.

It is strange, I suppose that someone as old as I would still be on the mat leaning, practicing, sometimes competing (but not since 2009), and taking falls.  In a little over two years, I will turn 80.  My hope is to be able to continue an active life in Judo well into my eighties.

There is an old saying that, "It is not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.".   I like to think it is not about the age of the participant in the training but the age of the experience of training in the participant.  

Judo, for me, has never been about acquiring rank, but Gary and others have encouraged me to accept another promotion for the benefit of my students and the the alleged credibility it gives me as a teacher.    I owe so much to the great teachers in my own past, many of whom have long since gone to the great dojo somewhere in the hereafter.   Fortunately, some of them are still alive and training, even some of them in Japan.   Of special importance is my early teacher and Sensei, Jim Troutman, with whom I remain in touch as former student, and as my cherished friend.  Jim, fresh out of the USMC and a student at Albright College not far from where I lived as a teen, took the trouble to teach me, not only the techniques of Judo, but also the deeper principles that have guided me for over sixty years in my own Judo practice.  

Thank you all, dear friends.   For those who have shared the tatami with me, I give special gratitude.   For those I have yet to meet in person, I still hope to have that privilege someday. To all of you, we are colleagues with a special set of shared experiences, and I hope your experience of Judo during your lifetime will be as rewarding as mine has been.
    Wisconsinite
    Wisconsinite

Post by Wisconsinite Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:39 am

Riehle Sensei, you are an inspiration and a living example that Judo can be practiced by anyone of any age. My Kata partner is 77 years young, very arthritic, but his enthusiasm and love of Judo makes me glad to be able to help him still be on the mat. Congratulations on a well deserved promotion.
    Nagaoka

Post by Nagaoka Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:45 am

Congratulations
    Tai-Jutsu
    Tai-Jutsu

Post by Tai-Jutsu Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:19 am

Congrats and much respect and good wishes to you, Riehle Sensei!
    DrJudo
    DrJudo

Post by DrJudo Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:34 am

Riehle sensei: a great role model and inspiration! Would we ever see him again in competition? who knows? maybe he could surprise us.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:58 am