E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+10
NBK
Cichorei Kano
Richard Riehle
Raj Venugopal
Ben Reinhardt
contrarian
still learning
Stacey
finarashi
BillC
14 posters

More on promotions for old fa ... people of advancing years ... and kata too!

BillC
    BillC

More on promotions for old fa ... people of advancing years ... and kata too! - Page 3 Empty Re: More on promotions for old fa ... people of advancing years ... and kata too!

Post by BillC Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:32 am

finarashi wrote:
    Some posters here argue about the benefits of cross training. You imply that "Why practice anything that is not allowed in contest?" is the norm ...
    Fin, in the context of the original question about self-control, age and fitness ... expanded to self-control, youth and behavior by Stacey ... I think all kinds of excuses are floated.  My intent was not to make a "why do kata" thread as there have been too many of those already ... and I will maintain the "his promotion is OK because he was a competitor" or "because he coaches competitors" is far from rare.

But I think you will have something more to say about the excuses themselves that are expressed at promotion time and medal presentation by the candidates, the evaluators, and the presenters.  And the guys who slip their otherwise untested buddies into the middle of the "approved for promotion" pile at the national office ...

Should yudansha especially be able to demonstrate healthy and well-mannered self-control as well as technique?  Or is lack of one a valid excuse for avoiding the other?

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:34 am