E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

BJA grading fees increased from£7.50 to £10

grassroots

BJA grading fees increased from£7.50 to £10 Empty BJA grading fees increased from£7.50 to £10

Post by grassroots Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:10 am

My view is that a non competitive grade is unimportant and  counts for very little, so why bother to grade and pay this increase? the current grading structure within the BJA only serves to bring in revenue. Am I the only BJA  coach that is feels this way?
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

BJA grading fees increased from£7.50 to £10 Empty Re: BJA grading fees increased from£7.50 to £10

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:06 am

grassroots wrote:My view is that a non competitive grade is unimportant and  counts for very little, so why bother to grade and pay this increase? the current grading structure within the BJA only serves to bring in revenue. Am I the only BJA  coach that is feels this way?
    So what about people who are 60 years old and are 1st kyû or shodan ? They should not progress in rank ? Or they should engage in competition with 22 year olds ? I would argue that a rank 'can' mean a lot to someone even if it is not competitive. The question to ask is what did the person have to put in to get there. It may very well be that the he or she had to overcome all kids of physical and mental impairments and have invested and much more than a 20 year-old who possibly could have just walked through tsukinami-shiai on one leg.

The fees quoted, to me, appear very low. Besides, we do not know what is included in them ? Do people also receive a black belt with it when they pass ? That would cost money too. What about examiners who have to travel to the place of the exam and whose time may need to be paid for ? Where should the money come from in an ever more expensive society ? From heavenly dew ?

If the way I understand this is wrong, then please clarify.
    medo

BJA grading fees increased from£7.50 to £10 Empty Re: BJA grading fees increased from£7.50 to £10

Post by medo Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:11 pm

As far as I am aware BJA clubs charge £10 for an in house grading done in the club. £7.50 to BJA admin to up grade license book and the club kept £2.50 for the hall ect.  The increase to £10 is for BJA headquarters just to record and update records "revenue".

BJC/AJA has a cheaper system which has run very well for many years. Majority of instructors/grading officials in these organisations give their time for free.

Still cheap compared to other activities just a lot of money for parents with two or more kids grading x times a year.

How else the BJA could raise revenue i suppose is limited?
    techman

Post by techman Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:36 pm

A couple of points here:
    The BJC does not actually charge a grading fee, but does allow clubs and areas to charge an admin cost for grading members-to cover hall hire etc. This is normally around £5.
    As to non competitive grades being unimportant, I totally disagree. When I graded to 4th dan (at 60) it was after a very tough examination of my knowledge of both techniques, kata, judo rules. And a time period between grades much longer than competitive players.
    No one to the best of my knowledge has ever been graded above 5th dan in competitive judo. So if we follow your thought process all the high ranking judoka worldwide of 6th dan and above count for very little ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 am