E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
Stacey
r12477
tafftaz
Steve Leadbeater
8 posters

Australian Masters Games

Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Australian Masters Games Empty Australian Masters Games

Post by Steve Leadbeater Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:53 am

Leaving home in 15 minutes for the 1000Km + drive to Geelong in
    Victoria to compete in the 14th Australian Masters Games.

This should be fun.............Kata, Drinking, Shiai, Drinking, Drinking, Drinking........Oh, did I mention Drinking ??

I don't care about the results.I'm going to enjoy myself,............if a medal comes my way, then that is a bonus.

Comment from Mrs L. "" You are too bloody old and stupid to still be playing that silly game""

back sometime 14th or 15th October. thumbs 
    tafftaz

Australian Masters Games Empty Re: Australian Masters Games

Post by tafftaz Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:46 am

Good luck matey.
    r12477

Post by r12477 Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:23 pm

See you there Steve! I'm competing in the competition this weekend too.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:55 am

have fun, and don't hurt your elbow raising too many, or your jaw telling too many tall tales.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:02 am

Steve is going to excel in the ones that start with D Very Happy
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:21 am

finarashi wrote:Steve is going to excel in the ones that start with D Very Happy
    what? the last one standing takes the gold?
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:52 pm

I'll be officially representing Steve as his bookie. Please send your money my way.
    DrJudo
    DrJudo

Post by DrJudo Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:25 am

The weekend is almost over. So, what happened? Did you drink or compete? or both?
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:03 am

DrJudo wrote:The weekend is almost over. So, what happened? Did you drink or compete? or both?
    I bet he's in that period of grace known as the post shiai hangover - where youre attempting to pack, but don't know quite how because somehow you pulled everything needed to actually fold and zip up your kit
    r12477

Post by r12477 Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:39 am

I met Steve at the Australian Masters Games this past weekend.  In conversation he did say that he was spending some extra time down in Melbourne to visit family and as such - post-shiai hangover aside - he may not be able to respond for a short while.

This being said, Steve and his kata partner, Russell Freemantle, came 4th in katame-no-kata in what was a very competitive field (and with very little practice).  In shiai, Steve was very crisp, sharp and dominating and took gold in his age-unrestricted weight category, beating a fellow many years his junior.  Steve was also generous enough to spend some time providing mat-side coaching and encouragement for my (3rd kyu, green belt) shiai.

All in all, while a relatively small turn-out for the AMG 2013 games, a good weekend.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 pm

r12477 wrote:I met Steve at the Australian Masters Games this past weekend.  In conversation he did say that he was spending some extra time down in Melbourne to visit family and as such - post-shiai hangover aside - he may not be able to respond for a short while.

This being said, Steve and his kata partner, Russell Freemantle, came 4th in katame-no-kata in what was a very competitive field (and with very little practice).  In shiai, Steve was very crisp, sharp and dominating and took gold in his age-unrestricted weight category, beating a fellow many years his junior.  Steve was also generous enough to spend some time providing mat-side coaching and encouragement for my (3rd kyu, green belt) shiai.

All in all, while a relatively small turn-out for the AMG 2013 games, a good weekend.
    That's an excellent result, congrats to Steve.

However, how can you be sure that the person you met was really Steve and not someone pretending to be Steve. Did you have him perform the litmus test ?

Anyhow, if you ever meet such a person again, I wanted to help by providing a simple test to verify his true identity:

1. Have him drink 20 beers. If afterwards he says he is thirsty, you have a good chance it might be Steve.
    2. Have him sing "Advance Australia Fair" backwards without cheat sheet and assess for yourself if the result is satisfactory for any Australian.
    3. Ask him to show his credit cards and transfer them to me for verification.

Don't thank me, I was happy to help.
    r12477

Post by r12477 Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Cichorei Kano wrote:Anyhow, if you ever meet such a person again, I wanted to help by providing a simple test to verify his true identity:

1. Have him drink 20 beers. If afterwards he says he is thirsty, you have a good chance it might be Steve.
    2. Have him sing "Advance Australia Fair" backwards without cheat sheet and assess for yourself if the result is satisfactory for any Australian.
    3. Ask him to show his credit cards and transfer them to me for verification.
    Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to sink a few with Steve as I stuck around to compete in the Men's Open of the local state competition that was running concurrently.  

That being said though, I am fairly sure that it was the "real" Steve, although I'll take your pointers for verification next time.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:56 pm

r12477 is being very kind.

I didn't hurt anything that was not already hurting.........try Katame no Kata with a partial Rib Cartilage Separation !!

A 4th place after only 30 minutes practice with an untried partner isn't too bad and a Gold medal in the Super Heavyweight Shiai against an opponent 20 years younger than me.

I did have a Birthday lunch with my Cousin and she imparted information regarding the Family Tree..............includung a photo of my Grandparents that I had never seen.

Oh.....did I mention that our friend r12477 beat a 5th Dan in the Mens Shiai, not too bad for a young 3rd KYU !!..............WELL DONE ROBERT.

Nearly forgot................GOLD MEDAL in OPEN DRINKING DIVISION TOO drunken  drunken 
    r12477

Post by r12477 Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks Steve.

One of the guys from my club filmed my three masters matches on the day and I have to admit that these matches seemed a lot more impressive on recollection than what they were when I actually watched them again - Nevertheless, it was a good day for me on the mat and I am looking forward to the next local competition in two weeks time.
    Raj Venugopal

Post by Raj Venugopal Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:51 am

Awesome job! I enjoy reading your posts and it's neat to read about your recent mat exploits as well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 4:25 pm