E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

returning to judo

LauroSkr

returning to judo Empty returning to judo

Post by LauroSkr Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:27 am

Hi,

i am 15 years old and i have been training in judo for 9 years. last year i didnt go to judo,because my clavicle was cracked during the battle and i made 2 more battles with cracked clavicle.

I met my trainer and he said that i need to return, i am afraid that i wont be good as i was before. i am ready to work hard again,how long it would be to get in good form again-3 times in a week training on tatami and 2 times weight room. I could run in the evenings and in the mornings . he said that my skill hasnt gone,i just need to get in great form.

And can you help me with fears before the battle,i am really worried before battles . i am unsure about my ability to win and i kinda dont believe myself.

Thanks Embarassed  confused 
    DougNZ

returning to judo Empty Re: returning to judo

Post by DougNZ Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:48 am

I'm guessing that, before your injury, were focussed on competition - battles.

I believe that non-judo training should be used to help judo, not to prepare for it.  My advice: just get back to judo.  Assess how your judo is after a month or so, by which time you will have got your timing and technique - and maybe your confidence - back.  Then do any extra training you think you may need to do.

Fear is mostly about uncertainty.  Two things may help: train hard so that you are more confident in your ability and there is more certainty that you will do well; and reduce the expectation or significance of winning so the outcome is less important.

I would like to talk about the importance of training all aspects of judo for self-development but suspect that, at your stage, shiai and competition is probably more of your focus.

Last edited by DougNZ on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GregW

Post by GregW Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:11 am

I broke my clavicle when I was about your age. I had to sit out for about six weeks. After the doctor cleared me to start practicing again, I started with light workouts. I actually asked my sensei if I could attend a beginner class for six weeks and then rejoin the main class. It ended up being a good experience. I got to focus on judo basics, which actually improved my technique. I won a lot more matches after I came back than before.

Many years later, I had a serious knee injury that sidrelined me for about six months. That was a much longer and harder recovery, but I eventually was able to continue doing judo and earn my black belt. Injuries happen. Just take your time and recover. Get well completely so you don't hurt yourself worse. In the interim, do what you can to stay in shapes, i.e., core exercises, stationary bike, etc. Your timing and skill will return.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:00 pm