E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Judo magazine collection

NBK
    NBK

Judo magazine collection Empty Judo magazine collection

Post by NBK Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:23 pm

I recently bought myself an early birthday present:
    a compilation of Judo magazine articles from the 1920-30's.

A big book with over 1100 pages, there are over 200 pgs of original photos, and near 900 pgs of articles, mostly technical descriptions, kata (the entire Ju, Katame, and Kime no Kata series of articles), etc., plus h and historic articles. The photos alone are worth it - there are many that I have never seen.

This is actually the second of similar books I've found; years ago I bought a series that divided largely the Judo articles into four different bound books, but this one is bound in a single massive book.

I'm trying to figure out how to shoot or scan each pg, but the pgs are small enough and the binding tight enough that the fold of the pages is such that the middle won't copy well - I have a homemade book stand that will let me take page by page, but that's a major pain to use, only useful for a handful of pages.

Any ideas of how to get down in the nooks and crannies and scan clearly?

NBK
    fredlinux
    fredlinux

Judo magazine collection Empty Re: Judo magazine collection

Post by fredlinux Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:15 pm

http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com.br/2009/05/book-scanning-technology.html

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/diy-book-scanner/ thumbs 
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:18 pm

I actually spent a lot of time looking through that website some time ago; the problem is the synched cameras. If I could get a couple of the right ones, that could be fun. But I have the stand, complete overkill for a camera (Canon D-100) for shooting book covers, calligraphy, and mag pix (so, I can shoot ultra-high res shots of ultra low-res pix....), a non-glare acrylic platen, etc.
    wdax

Post by wdax Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:30 pm

Maybe this is a solution?
    http://www.booksorber.com/
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 am

That's a solution to the problem of assembling the page photographs into a single seamless digital file, not to the taking of the photographs themselves.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:46 am

NBK wrote:That's a solution to the problem of assembling the page photographs into a single seamless digital file, not to the taking of the photographs themselves.  
    Yeah, and in Japan it is impossible to find anyone to do mindless, repetitive ... but pathologically accurate work.Laughing 
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:10 am

BillC wrote:
    NBK wrote:That's a solution to the problem of assembling the page photographs into a single seamless digital file, not to the taking of the photographs themselves.  
    Yeah, and in Japan it is impossible to find anyone to do mindless, repetitive ... but pathologically accurate work.Laughing 
    That reminds me - when you coming back? What a Face 

Actually, there is a company here that will take your books, nicely disassemble them (I think they bandsaw the spine off), scan each page front and back carefully, doublecheck that they got it nicely done, and all at a reasonable price.

The only problem is that no matter the age of the book, they then pulp the pages to keep on the good side of the copyright law. !! pale 

I have some books that I've bought duplicates of to do just that, but I'd like to keep this book.

NBK
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:11 pm

NBK wrote:That reminds me - when you coming back?  What a Face 
    Thinking about arriving the Saturday after Thanksgiving, catching the last day of the Grand Slam. Maybe have a beer and a burger again with Dapper Dave and Super Suave SAMBO Sheldon if they are up for it. Keep Dave away from the nihonshu.

Speaking of which ... the name "Grand Slam" always makes me think of breakfast at Denny's.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 am