E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
afja_lm139
Ben Reinhardt
6 posters

Conan O'Brian calls Gary Goltz an a-hole

Conan O'Brian calls Gary Goltz an a-hole Empty Conan O'Brian calls Gary Goltz an a-hole

Post by Guest Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:13 am

I was on my YouTube account and there was this "Recommended Video" on the front page. Apparently this video was uploaded over a year ago but this is the first time I have ever seen it.

I felt really bad for Gary being called an a-hole in front of the entire country but there were a few things about the video that struck me. For starters, I'm left wondering why Gary would call Jack Black's "Tiger Roll" a "non-Kodokan international Judo standard" when he's wearing a black gi with a kohaku obi? I've never seen that before.

Conan said it was the "most depressing class I've ever seen". Andy Richter then busts on Gary a bit. Jack Black creates a video response where he calls himself a 423rd degree black belt because Gary calls himself a 7th degree black belt (while wearing a red and white belt). Jack Black was right about how Gary's personal introduction sounded pretentious. Jack didn't come right out and say it but he essentially did with his own "rank".

The response to Gary's video was classic but I felt this could have been a great opportunity to put Judo and the USJA in the National spotlight for all the right reasons. Instead, Judo is made to be a punch line and for that night was put in the National spotlight for all the wrong reasons. The President of the USJA is called an "a-hole" on television in front of the country and his class is called the most depressing class I've ever seen by one of the world's most well known comics and talk show hosts. I'm sure Gary has done a lot of good things with Judo in the USA but this was not a good idea in my opinion.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Conan O'Brian calls Gary Goltz an a-hole Empty Re: Conan O'Brian calls Gary Goltz an a-hole

Post by Ben Reinhardt Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:11 am

Somebody should have told Gary "It's a Trap !".
    afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Conan O'Brian calls Gary Goltz an a-hole Empty Re: Conan O'Brian calls Gary Goltz an a-hole

Post by afja_lm139 Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 am

Hum, well, er, the only issue I have is for someone to wear a kohaku obi at class.  Now mind you I like Gary and all but my sensei, judan, wore a nice neat black obi to class.  Maybe once in a blue Moon Mifune sensei would wear his red obi to open the main Kodokan dojo, but would dawn the black one during his observing.  Just IMHO that is.....

Oh and BTW, who watches those TV idiots anyway?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:52 am

afja_lm139 wrote:

About a million people every night for Conan.
    afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:12 am

Dave R. wrote:
    afja_lm139 wrote:

About a million people every night for Conan.

Ha, they come on way past my bed time Smile The only one I would like to se is Jay. His car collection is a hoot.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:55 am

If I recall Mr Goltz was in on it ( I could be wrong though). He posted on the old forum and this video came up. One thing I can say about Mr Goltz from that thread is that he has a great sense of humour.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 am

Oh and BTW, who watches those TV idiots anyway?[/quote]

About a million people every night for Conan.[/quote]

1 Million viewers is not many, you have +300 Million citizens in your country.
    edbiology
    edbiology

Post by edbiology Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:36 am

I agree with one of the comments for the video on youtube: "Anyone who's enough of a fan of the show to make and submit a fan correction video is fully aware that Conan's going to turn it into a joke."

And sensei Goltz must also love the video, because he places it on his personal homepage http://goltzjudo.com/senseigary.html
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:11 pm

edbiology wrote:And sensei Goltz must also love the video, because he places it on his personal homepage http://goltzjudo.com/senseigary.html
    Hey! Some pretty cool haircut, in that 1970's portrait.
     Very Happy 

Post by Guest Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:46 am

Steve Leadbeater wrote:
    1 Million viewers is not many, you have +300 Million citizens in your country.

Hi Steve,

Just so you know I didn’t give that response trying to imply that is a lot of people. I was trying to give a literal answer but it turns out (I should have known) it was really an incomplete answer. I worked for The Nielsen Company (company that does The Nielsen Ratings) for several years so I’m somewhat familiar with the ratings measuring process. Television ratings measurement is far more complex in how it’s gathered and determined and it’s big business for the networks. During my time at Nielsen it was incredible to me to see how the Nielsen ratings really drove the decision-making in the television industry. Anyway, television ratings isn’t measured by viewers vs. entire population. At a basic level it’s more like viewers vs. households with televisions. As I said before my answer was incomplete because about 1,000,000 households out of (appox. 114 million households with televisions) tuned in but that could include more than one person watching the program per household. Plus shows like Conan, Jay Leno, Jimmy Fallon come on late at night. It won’t have the same draw of viewership as a primetime show does.

In short, his show is popular but relatively speaking. He’s not as popular as other talk show hosts.

If I recall Mr Goltz was in on it ( I could be wrong though). He posted on the old forum and this video came up. One thing I can say about Mr Goltz from that thread is that he has a great sense of humour.

That’s good to know. If I was Gary I would have been honored to see Jack Black create a personal response like that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:41 am