E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

DEVELOPING TALENT IN YOUNG PEOPLE

Yaburi
    Yaburi

DEVELOPING TALENT IN YOUNG PEOPLE Empty DEVELOPING TALENT IN YOUNG PEOPLE

Post by Yaburi Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:22 pm

DEVELOPING TALENT IN YOUNG PEOPLE REVISITED
    By Mark Lonsdale
    Many sports benefit from modern developments in sports science, but high performance judo is one sport that benefits more from hard work and well structured training than from science or computer modeling. But one area where research and study has been of value is in gaining a better appreciation for long-term athlete development (LTAD) and the interrelated training requirements. Understanding how athletes develop at various ages helps us to develop coaching methods and training programs which are athlete-centered rather than sports-centered.

Dr. Benjamin Bloom’s research and book, Developing Talent in Young People (1985), has been a valuable resource on this topic. It is also a book that can be found in the libraries of many coaches and is used by the US Olympic Committee. So for the club-level judo instructor or coach who may not familiar with this work, it is worth revisiting a few of the relevant findings.

Bloom’s work was based on interviews with 120 highly accomplished young people, including musicians, Olympic swimmers and world-class tennis players. Interviews were also conducted with their parents and teachers so as to gain a better understanding of their influences.

Of the individuals interviewed, the ones who “made it” were not necessarily the most talented, or possessed natural ability, but were those that demonstrated persistence, competitiveness, eagerness, and a love of the sport (or activity). The study group also stated that they benefited from dedicated teachers, for whom they felt love, admiration and respect.

One of the notable findings was that the majority had become involved in the particular activity before the age of 12 years, and that they had been encouraged by one or both parents. Many had further received one-on-one individualized instruction or training.

From this, Bloom noted a number of deficiencies in group instruction as it relates to a structured school setting. When at school, the students’ lives are governed by a timetable and “assembly line” form of education and learning that does not allow the individual time to delve deeply into any one subject or activity.

Bloom also identified three development phases: early years, middle years, late years – all of which reinforces the argument in performance sports for coaching to be individualized, age-appropriate, and athlete-driven. Prior to Boom, another educational researcher, Alfred North Whitehead (1929) described three similar phases of developmental that were also influenced by age. These were:

• Romance
    • Precision
    • Integration

The Romance phase is where the child is drawn into an activity or sport and is able to play, explore, and have fun. It is in these early formative years that the child will develop a love of the sport that may carry him or her through their entire lives.

The Precision phase is the systematic learning, coaching, and mastering of technical skills. It is in this phase that young athletes move from “playing” a sport to being serious “Players” and competitors.

The Integration phase is the continued study with a master or coach, and long hours of daily practice and training. The athlete learns to translate training and technical skills into improved personal performance.

This discussion leads us back to the term “age-appropriate,” which is often used when discussing modern judo training. Some believe that this simply means more fun and games for very young judoka; and they are partly correct. There is no argument that if a judo instructor can help develop a love of the sport with juniors at the club level, they may stay with judo, or continue returning to it throughout their lives. While all too many students seem to drop out in their teens and college years, many also return to the dojo as adults. However, it is the dedicated systematic training (precision phase) throughout the mid- and late-teen years that is a critical phase in the development of national and world class athletes.

Expanding on this as it relates to judo, we may discover talent in a 13 or 14 year old, but from 16 to 19 years is when we are actually developing and building the future national champions. There is a level of strength and toughness required for judo that only comes with maturity, but for the instructor or coach, the challenge is maintaining an interest in the sport through these difficult teenage years.

So to be effective, even at the grassroots level, coaching should be athlete-centered rather than sport-centered. This necessitates that the development of coaches should be linked directly to the athlete’s age, maturity & abilities. Taking this into consideration, it would be logical that the training and certification of coaches should be both age-based and performance-based. A coach should be educated in the training requirements specific to children (5 to 12 years); teens and young adults (13 to 19 years); seniors (18+) and Masters (30+), both male and female. Similarly, the coach should be trained and certified to coach at various levels of sports performance from novice and recreational, through high performance and elite athlete development. The coach is then able to deliver an appropriate level of training in an individualized, age-appropriate manner.

Based on personal experience, a dedicated young judoka who is enjoying judo and winning at the local level by age 13 could be winning at the junior nationals by 15 or 16. With the right coaching and the support of his or her family, that same judoka should be gaining national and international experience (Under 20) by 18 or 19 and a serious senior competitor by their early twenties. But unlike other activities that require only fitness and skill, judo also requires a level of mental and physical toughness that only comes with age and experience.

One of the traits that separate dedicated judoka from other athletes is the ability to take a pounding on the mat one day and still turn up for training the next. Anyone who has trained with the Japanese or French national teams will appreciate what it takes to turn up, day after day, knowing that the training will be brutal, and the only science that will help is a bottle of Advil and several rolls of athletic tape.

CONCLUSION

• Coaches should be able to identify the transition point where a young judoka is ready to move from “playing judo” to becoming a serious “judo player,” – keeping in mind that not all judoka aspire to be serious competitors. At the club level the instructor will find that the majority of members (~85-90%) will be recreational judoka who are perfectly content playing judo well into their retirement years.
    • If we expect children and teens to maintain an interest in judo, they must develop a love of the sport at an early age. Moving too quickly into rigorous training for competition (shiai) before they have matured, may turn them off judo for life. This maturation occurs at about 13 to 17 years of age, depending on the individual. In the early teens, young people begin making their own decisions as to what they want to do, and not just what their parents or teachers are pushing them to do.
    • As young athletes “graduate” from the romance phase, they will need continued encouragement, coaching and support to get them through the more demanding systematic phase of performance development training. They will also need financial support from their parents for travel to training camps and competitions.
    • As athletes age, their love of the sport should be demonstrated by an equal love of teaching juniors and helping to develop the next generation of players and champions. Former champions should feel both an obligation and a passion for passing on their hard-earned knowledge and experience.

END
    Taiobroshi
    Taiobroshi

DEVELOPING TALENT IN YOUNG PEOPLE Empty Re: DEVELOPING TALENT IN YOUNG PEOPLE

Post by Taiobroshi Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Not that these articles aren't nice and helpful, but there's a section of this forum dedicated to user written articles...

https://judo.forumotion.com/f19-user-content
    judoratt
    judoratt

Post by judoratt Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Taiobroshi wrote:Not that these articles aren't nice and helpful, but there's a section of this forum dedicated to user written articles...

[url=https://judo.forumotion.com/f19-user-content
    https://judo.forumotion.com/f19-user-content[/quote[/url]]

As new as the forum is and with the lack of trafic at this point would it not be advantageous to have these spread arround the forum for more input and conversation? When we get more than 100 posts a day then we can kick Marks arse and get him in line, at this point he has been one of our largest contributor over the past few days. JMHO ShockedShocked
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:02 am

Mark, thanks for posting the article. I have a question regarding this statement from it:
    "Based on personal experience, a dedicated
    young judoka who is enjoying judo and winning at the local level by age
    13 could be winning at the junior nationals by 15 or 16. With the right
    coaching and the support of his or her family, that same judoka should
    be gaining national and international experience (Under 20) by 18 or 19
    and a serious senior competitor by their early twenties. But unlike
    other activities that require only fitness and skill, judo also requires
    a level of mental and physical toughness that only comes with age and
    experience.
    "

In your experience, at what age had these young judoka started training in Judo? I'm assuming at least a couple of years ?

I'm assuming such a young judoka is from a urban area with access to a relatively high number of training partners and opportunities to train multiple times per week (as much as appropriate for age etc.).

I've had the privilege trained some pretty talented individuals in my time, a some that had enough talent both physical/mental/emotional to become elite (senior) athletes. The limiting factors were availability of training opportunities and number/variety of training partners.

Thanks,

Ben
    Yaburi
    Yaburi

Post by Yaburi Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 am

Hey Ben,

Using my own experience as an example: I started judo at age 11 and began winning locally at 12-13. Was national junior champion by 15 and Under 20 champion by 16. Also earned my senior shodan at 16. Began competing internationally at 17 and earned an invitation to live and train in France at 18 (for almost 2 years). Did judo 750 hours a year, which is seven times more than the average recreational judoka. Competed in three world championships by the time I was 21 but did not have the physical strength and toughness of most of the champions who were in their late 20s and early 30s. But it did toughen me up.

Statistically, most world champions and Olympic medalists are in their mid-20s (average 25.5 years) with 8 years of judo expereince; so a young judoka needs to get serious around 17 or 18 to be on that 8 year plan.

Last edited by Yaburi on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:58 am

Yaburi wrote:Hey Ben,

Using my own experience as an example: I started judo at age 11 and began winning locally at 12-13. Was national junior champion by 15 and Under 20 champion by 16. Also earned my senior shodan at 16. Began competing internationally at 17 and earned an invitation to live and train in France at 18 (for almost 2 years). Did judo 750 hours a year, which is seven times more than the average recreational judoka. Competed in three world championships by the time I was 21 but did not have the physical strength and toughness of most of the champions who were in their late 20s and early 30s. But it did toughen me up.

Statistically, most world champions and Olympic medalists are in their mid-20s (average 25.5 years) with 8 years of judo expereince; so a young judoka needs to get serious around 17 or 18 to be on that 8 year plan.

Thanks for answering by sharing some of your own experience.

Did you have access to multiple training opportunities that did not require excessive traveling? Lots of training partners? during your formative years (between beginning and shodan at 16). Obviously going to France took care of that at 18 years of age, that must have been quite an experience!

I train judoka in a VERY rural area (google Creston, BC...I live in the US in Bonners Ferry). Travel even to tournaments is prohibitively expensive and often quite an adventure in the winter time. The primary obstacle we face is lack of training partners and training opportunity even with the few of us who are around. And yet we have had over the years young judoka who have done well in the province, competed at nationals (placed a few times in the past) and do well now at provincial level shiai in other provinces.

Any advice/ideas on how to improve training in such a situation? I work full time, have my own kids, and can't be there to train people full time, and neither can anyone else at the dojo.

Ben
    Yaburi
    Yaburi

Post by Yaburi Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:37 am

Ben - thats a tough one. I know that down here in the US that when judoka get serious they go to train at Jimmy Pedro's, JMJC or San Jose State. I also live ina rural area so have just finished converting a double garage to a dojo so that I can train and teach anytime I want. But I still have to drive 2 hours for good senior training.

When I was a young teen I knew every club in a 15 miles radius so always had somewhere to train. My club ran 3 nights a week (I taught junior for one hour then trained senior for one hour) and then Senior Men's squad train was every Saturday in the city (14 miles drive or bus)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:09 pm