E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+7
NittyRanks
Freelancer
still learning
BillC
Ben Reinhardt
DougNZ
Jonesy
11 posters

Better days - techniques gone past

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Better days - techniques gone past Empty Better days - techniques gone past

Post by Jonesy Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:13 pm

DougNZ

Better days - techniques gone past Empty Re: Better days - techniques gone past

Post by DougNZ Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:36 am

There is some pretty amazing spacial awareness going on there!  Some pretty ugly judo, too.

Last edited by DougNZ on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:28 am

Is there a special video showing all the grotesque leg diving to avoid being out-gripped too that is now not allowed?

BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:29 pm

I am sorry to point this out ... I know how my neighbor up the road loves his sense of righteous indignation at all rules ... but people are still free to practice and play judo how they want. Judo is not limited to the Olympic system ... thank goodness.
    still learning

Post by still learning Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:32 pm

Some lovely throws and some classic just get your partner on their back at all costs. Can't help but wonder whether a better focus on scoring would have been better for judo than banning some of the most dynamic techniques.
    Freelancer
    Freelancer

Post by Freelancer Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:03 am

still learning wrote:Some lovely throws and some classic just get your partner on their back at all costs. Can't help but wonder whether a better focus on scoring would have been better for judo than banning some of the most dynamic techniques.

I very much agree. I think the scoring would have made all the difference.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:55 pm

BillC wrote:I am sorry to point this out ... I know how my neighbor up the road loves his sense of righteous indignation at all rules ... but people are still free to practice and play judo how they want.  Judo is not limited to the Olympic system ... thank goodness.

True 'dat !
    NittyRanks
    NittyRanks

Post by NittyRanks Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:49 am

Great idea for a thread. I know for a lot of competitors I have talked to the rules have made them have to entirely change their games.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:54 am

BillC wrote:I am sorry to point this out ... I know how my neighbor up the road loves his sense of righteous indignation at all rules ... but people are still free to practice and play judo how they want.  Judo is not limited to the Olympic system ... thank goodness.

Any port in a storm, Bill...
    Davaro
    Davaro

Post by Davaro Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 am

Man, some of those "throws" could have ended up with worse than tears...
    How many of them resulted in uke and tori ending up on their heads/necks etc. (1:10; 1:28 eg)

Not just the "fault" of tori - the turning-out mentality to avoid a score at all costs.

I fear that sometimes the cost may be a bit high.

There were also some exquisite waza shown. In particular I liked ouchi at 1:30 by the Japanese player.

trumfnator

Post by trumfnator Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:27 am

Davaro wrote:

There were also some exquisite waza shown. In particular I liked ouchi at 1:30 by the Japanese player.

That's Hiraoka Hiroaki if i'm correct. Loved his Judo.
    And he did his ko uchi makikomi several times without touching the legs. Not really required.
    JFTW

Post by JFTW Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:40 pm

An excerpt from an interview (http://lexfridman.com/blogs/training/2013/09/21/interview-with-judo-world-champion-georgii-zantaraia/) with Georgi Zantaraia, former world champion from Ukraine whose judo very much revolved around leg grabs:

Lex: In the last 6 years, there have been more changes in judo rules than in all of the 50 years of its history in the Olympics. From what you saw in the world championships this year, do you think these changes have had an overall positive effect on the sport? For the athlete and for the spectators?

Georgii: I can verify significant increase and growth of the judo as sport around the world. When I started competed on international level 7 years ago judo already was really big but now its truly top major sport in Europe. Most of this success is due to the rule changes and great IJF work. Judo become much more quicker and offensive. There is huge decrease in negative, defensive actions as its getting punished with penalties immediately. Matches are shorter and more dynamic and I can see way more big throws than it used to be before. So overall I think all those changes made a great positive affect. I think judo now is much more understandable for spectators because players forced to play upright game which leads to big terrific throws. Big terrific throws attracts people despite their familiarity with the game. Worse judo player has less chance to neutralize better judoka with defensive stalling strategy . I personally loves te guruma as it was one of my signature throws but I didn't have any trouble adjusting as overall positive effect outweighs the loss of this technique. If you look at elite players who are competing at A level 4 years ago and now …they are still the same people. Its not like IJF changed the rules and bunch of players quit judo. It still the same people cuz leg grabs is just little portion of overall judo.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:51 pm

JFTW wrote:An excerpt from an interview (http://lexfridman.com/blogs/training/2013/09/21/interview-with-judo-world-champion-georgii-zantaraia/) with Georgi Zantaraia, former world champion from Ukraine whose judo very much revolved around leg grabs:

Lex: In the last 6 years, there have been more changes in judo rules than in all of the 50 years of its history in the Olympics. From what you saw in the world championships this year, do you think these changes have had an overall positive effect on the sport? For the athlete and for the spectators?

Georgii: I can verify significant increase and growth of the judo as sport around the world. When I started competed on international level 7 years ago judo already was really big but now its truly top major sport in Europe. Most of this success is due to the rule changes and great IJF work. Judo become much more quicker and offensive. There is huge decrease in negative, defensive actions as its getting punished with penalties immediately. Matches are shorter and more dynamic and I can see way more big throws than it used to be before. So overall I think all those changes made a great positive affect. I think judo now is much more understandable for spectators because players forced to play upright game which leads to big terrific throws. Big terrific throws attracts people despite their familiarity with the game. Worse judo player has less chance to neutralize better judoka with defensive stalling strategy . I personally loves te guruma as it was one of my signature throws but I didn't have any trouble adjusting as overall positive effect outweighs the loss of this technique. If you look at elite players who are competing at A level 4 years ago and now …they are still the same people. Its not like IJF changed the rules and bunch of players quit judo. It still the same people cuz leg grabs is just little portion of overall judo.

I am not sure what the relevance is of this. This is a 26-year old kid who was born only towards the end of 1987, which means he was a little kid of not even 10 years old when the IJF started his nonsense with blue gi, enso-senso (golden score), etc. He will have never competed when jûdô was still jûdô. It means he was 5 years old when famous jûdôka who used a lot lifting using the legs, such as Van De Walle, Khabarelli, etc., were retiring from competition. At age 26 he is a current competitor who trains for and under current rules with still chances on medals. What did you expect ? That he would say he would hate everything about the sport he is currently devoting most of his time and life to ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:17 pm