E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Budokwai Film 1949

wdax

Budokwai Film 1949 Empty Budokwai Film 1949

Post by wdax Sun May 18, 2014 7:26 pm

One of the most interesting documents about Judo around the time of WW2. Very interesting because of the meaning of Budokwai for the developement of judo in Europe.

Hanon

Budokwai Film 1949 Empty Re: Budokwai Film 1949

Post by Hanon Mon May 19, 2014 10:55 am

I would very much appreciate any observations the readers here have on the video.
    What does the most basic technique of Mr Koizumi tell us?

Mr Koizumi is or was often referred to as the 'father of European judo'. Take a careful look at his approach to the kuzushi exercises he performs, the ashi waza etc. What do you see? Look in particular at the basics that physical judo are founded upon.

I will add my own views after reading some of the replies.

This could be a wonderful debate.

Post away.....

Mike

PS. I only saw the first 20 minutes.
    judo66
    judo66

Post by judo66 Mon May 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Hanon wrote:I would very much appreciate any observations the readers here have on the video.
    What does the most basic technique of Mr Koizumi tell us?

Mr Koizumi is or was often referred to as the 'father of European judo'. Take a careful look at his approach to the kuzushi exercises he performs, the ashi waza etc. What do you see? Look in particular at the basics that physical judo are founded upon.

I will add my own views after reading some of the replies.  

This could be a wonderful debate.

Post away.....

Mike

PS. I only saw the first 20 minutes.

There is a lot that you missed after the 20 minute mark. For exemple his ju no kata at 35:16 (I wonder if it was the same version he showed to Kano several years before) and his itsutsu.
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Tue May 20, 2014 6:16 am

A lot of the ju-jitsu that came to NZ was taught in Holland by Jaap d'Age, who is known as a Kawaishi man but who trained at length with Koizumi. Certainly, many of the throws look familiar, though some do not. The kuzushi on many throws is interesting and quite different to 'mainstream' practice. Of course, I admire his 'recovery' posture; as a ju-jitsuka, this whole business of sacrificing every throw for ippon does my head in!
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue May 20, 2014 7:22 am

There are some interesting things about Koizumi and his jûdô, one of them that he uses a different classification of throws. it would be interesting to know how that translated into the learning experience.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 am