E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Kyoshi

classicschmosby

Kyoshi Empty Kyoshi

Post by classicschmosby Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:57 am

Could someone please explain the purpose of the Kyoshi/ Kyoshi no kamae position used in the katame no kata.
    noboru
    noboru

Kyoshi Empty link to Otaki, Draeger explanation

Post by noboru Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:56 am

More informations about this kamae is in book "Judo Formal Techniques: A Complete Guide to Kodokan Randori no Kata from authors: Tadao Otaki,Donn Draeger".

This part is avalaible for read on google books. The google gives me https://books.google.cz/books?id=TwbRAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT116&lpg=PT116&dq=kyoshi+no+kamae+judo&source=bl&ots=_hrO0LISqx&sig=NXzTgqVwBTpaD8BeMt44VkQEPMI&hl=cs&sa=X&ei=sY7wVJnXDILoUsejg7AK&ved=0CFwQ6AEwCg#v=onepage&q=kyoshi%20no%20kamae%20judo&f=false .

May be there you can find the explanation on your question.
    classicschmosby

Kyoshi Empty Re: Kyoshi

Post by classicschmosby Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:37 am

Thank you but I have the book and it explains how to take the position but not why the posture is used.
    noboru
    noboru

Kyoshi Empty kyoshi is strictly combative posture

Post by noboru Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:03 am

I think that there are an explanations.
    On the page 118 is info that the kyoshi is strictly combative posture. My summary of explanations in these pages is: This posture is about alertness (body, eyes, mental state/mind) before and after each action in the kata (zanshin state). Execution of this posture (open / close variation of kyoshi no kamae) separate the technique from next technique...

Next info is in notes at the end of book - try to look at the page 445. There are notes 6. and 7.

If you look at the some katas from Tenjin shinyo ryu jujutsu, there is similar posture as Kyoshi no kamae.
    Here is video with kata Tenjin shinyo ryu  - look at the time 0:59, 1:00

May be someone else give more informations.
    classicschmosby

Post by classicschmosby Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:28 am

noboru wrote:I think that there is an explanations.
    On the page 118 is info that the kyoshi is strictly combative posture. This posture is about alertness before and after each action (separate technique) in the kata (zanshin state).
    Next info is about notes at the end of book - try to look at the page 445. There are notes 6. and 7.

If you look at the some katas from Tenjin shinyo ryu jujutsu, there is similar posture as Kyoshi no kamae.
    Here is video with kata Tenjin shinyo ryu  - look at the time 0:59, 1:00

May be someone else give more informations.

Thank you, I've looked over those pages and it does elaborate more than I remembered. It is made clearer with the examples for the tenjin shinyo ryu, the difference is also clearer between the right shizentai and kyoshi in their posture than in the pictures given.
    SPFransen

Post by SPFransen Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:06 pm

I'm also interested in the origin and meaning of kyoshi. I did some research, but haven't find a satisfying answer.

Does anybody know if Kano adopted kyoshi from Tenjin Shin'yō-ryū? In the textbook kyoshi is also named kurai-dori, is this correct? Did Kano modify the kyoshi and shikko movements? Are there any sources describing the origins of this posture and the movements in shikko.

I searched for shikko, the term used in the official Kodokan textbook. But it looks different from the shikko as seen in many aikido videos. Can anyone elaborate on this? For example:

Although I see some similarities in the movement around 1:23.

Another question I have is regarding the distance of tōma (4 shaku) and chikama (1 shaku). Does anyone have any thoughts why these distances where chosen?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:29 pm