E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

Kobayashi Kyoshi (Kōdōkan 9th dan) instructing a class in Lisbon, 1968

Ambatus
    Ambatus

Kobayashi Kyoshi (Kōdōkan 9th dan) instructing a class in Lisbon, 1968 Empty Kobayashi Kyoshi (Kōdōkan 9th dan) instructing a class in Lisbon, 1968

Post by Ambatus Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:20 am

I'm collecting data for my pet project of documenting Judo (particularly in my own country) and found this one which I think is interesting for a wider audience.

The Mayor of Lisbon visits Judo Clube de Portugal (the founding member of the Portuguese Judo Federation and one in which  Kobayashi's influence was heavily felt); the national television channel films the training/demo, providing an interesting insight into the practice of 1960s Judo in Portugal:

https://arquivos.rtp.pt/conteudos/general-franca-borges-visita-o-judo-clube-de-portugal/

This is supposedly in  Portuguese but since it doesn't appear to actually have sound we're all on an equal footing; the video starts with the Mayor signing the Hounor Book and being received in the club by Kobayashi's wife Shizue and their daughters Michiko and Sachiko Kobayashi, in kimono.

Kobayashi Kyoshi (Kōdōkan 9th dan) instructing a class in Lisbon, 1968 Jcp_kk10

The practice starts with warm-ups and randori. In the kamiza we can see Seiryoku-Zenyo and Jita-Kyoei on the wall.

Kobayashi Kyoshi (Kōdōkan 9th dan) instructing a class in Lisbon, 1968 Screen10

There are many women there (they all use the so-calle joshi obi with a white stripe, unsurprisingly).

Kobayashi Kyoshi (Kōdōkan 9th dan) instructing a class in Lisbon, 1968 Jcp_kk11

There are other Japanese judoka there (I didn't yet investigate who they are - they do have a crest in their judogi which could help in identifying their origin):

Kobayashi Kyoshi (Kōdōkan 9th dan) instructing a class in Lisbon, 1968 Jcp_kk12

KOBAYASHI Kyoshi is called "the Father of Judo in Portugal" since he was the main figure behind the spread of Judo here, starting in the 1950s. He was one of the few Kōdōkan 9th dan living abroad shortly before passing away in 2013.

finarashi, noboru and Jihef like this post

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 8:25 am