E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Standing Guard Passes

jjudo

Standing Guard Passes Empty Standing Guard Passes

Post by jjudo Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:16 am

I've found standing guard passes to be the easiest way to break a closed guard. Also plenty of good ways to pass the guard from standing.

These actually seem to be the common situation in tournaments, to pass from standing position from a partial score, to get to osaekomi. BUT seems like it's often not allowed in practice Newaza, and/or not practiced much. Wondering if anyone uses them much in judo. Clearing in bjj it's used at all levels and most elite level guys go straight for standing passes if possible. Seems like a missing territory in judo.

tafftaz

Standing Guard Passes Empty Re: Standing Guard Passes

Post by tafftaz Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:51 am

Different rule set for judo shiai. Once engaged in newaza (both with at least one knee on the floor) then matte is normally called when someone stands up. Ref will then stand you both back up to carry on. Standing passes are perfectly legal as long as whoever is standing, stays standing to pass ie does not engage in newaza (if that makes sense)
    Nothing wrong with doing them in randori or club environment though, unless club is purely a contest orientated one.
    jjudo

Post by jjudo Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:30 am

good points. i think combination guard passing, like in this video, uses judo principles and would do a lot of judoka a lot of good. and then the half guard passing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbLzrLzgTz

tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:41 am

Keep getting "video does not exist" on youtube site
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:57 am

Under international rules I thought you had to enter groundwork ie put a knee in the ground to touch the legs?
    jjudo

Post by jjudo Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:39 am

this should work instead...

tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:11 am

Ricebale wrote:Under international rules I thought you had to enter groundwork ie put a knee in the ground to touch the legs?

RB I believe you are correct. I completely forgot about that new rule. Funnily enough I was talking about it to our national coach a few months back.
    Shiai newaza rules just keep gettting worse. I am one of the dinosaurs who started competing many years ago under the old weight categories and have a habit of forgetting new rules for todays comps.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:54 am