E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Going to Japan

SuperJudo12345

Going to Japan Empty Going to Japan

Post by SuperJudo12345 Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi everyone,

Me and my family are planning a trip to Japan over spring break (March. 25th to April 9th or so). I am a 17 year old competitive judoka in Canada, and I am a brown belt. I understand that to join the main randori session at the Kodokan, you need to be a black belt (according to their website). I definitely want to do Judo once or twice while I'm there, but I don't know where I am able to if the Kodokan isn't really an option. We will probably be staying in the Tokyo area for a large portion of our trip, but we will visit other cities as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

SuperJudo12345
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Going to Japan Empty Re: Going to Japan

Post by Jonesy Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:45 pm

The Kodokan is an option and you will be welcome. They have special classes that you can join. Ideally to do randori in the 7th floor day dojo you need to be a black belt but you should be ok. Suggest you email the International Division in English. Address is on their website.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:37 pm

One of my students (only an Orange belt) attended the Kodokan eariler this year and was made very welcome....I wrote a letter of introduction to the International Department for him which eased his entry into the general training class.

Perhaps your Coach/Instructor/Sensei can do the same for you if they are a Kodokan Member too, if not, perhaps you can find someone who knows you, who is also a Dan grade and a Kodokan member, and ask them if they will write an Introductory letter and recommendation for you.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:26 am

SuperJudo12345 wrote:Hi everyone,

Me and my family are planning a trip to Japan over spring break (March. 25th to April 9th or so). I am a 17 year old competitive judoka in Canada, and I am a brown belt. I understand that to join the main randori session at the Kodokan, you need to be a black belt (according to their website). I definitely want to do Judo once or twice while I'm there, but I don't know where I am able to if the Kodokan isn't really an option. We will probably be staying in the Tokyo area for a large portion of our trip, but we will visit other cities as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

SuperJudo12345

Super Judo ... plenty of young guys your age and rank visit the Kodokan on a regular basis. When I was last there a couple weeks ago there was a fellow Maple Leaf Cult member like you, as well as a number of (shiver) Americans who speak your same language (without the constant interjection of "eh").

Don't be intimidated, this is the Kodokan's mission and you will be welcomed warmly. A little bit of prep work ... you need to stop by the International Office during business hours and register. As you look at the statue of Kano shihan, this office is inside the door to your right, the building next to the dojo. The folks there are super-cool and ultra-helpful. You can sign up as a member and get a card ... which is kind of cool ... or just register as a visitor. Bring a couple of passport photos. Have your passport and your Judo Canada card with you to refer to. I forget what nosy questions the application has, probably like most.

If you are a brown belt with competition experience, there is no problem to attend the randori session in the evening ... with due caution on Wednesday nights when then college kids are there. Also advisable, the kata training on Tuesday evenings. The daily schedule is posted across from the registration desk on the 4th floor ... which is where you check in and pay JPY 800. Again, the folks at the desk will tell you where to go.

If I were you, I'd latch on to a local that speaks English (or French?) and ask them to take you up to the 7th floor and show you the local rules. Of course the first of those is "white judogi only." Wear your brown belt, it's fine. If your host is magnanimous he or she will introduce you to a hundred sensei, do your best to remember the name and keep them straight ... Matsumura, Matsumoto, Matsushita ... ha ha.

Don't miss the Kodokan library and museum with your family. Sign in with Miss Motohashi and introduce yourself. Bring her a pin from your club or judo event ... she collects them.

Finally, you can PM me as the date gets closer, I will probably be in Japan about that time for work and hanging out at the Kodokan M, T, Th ... also in case you don't know it your folks are taking you to Japan during the best time of year ... cherry blossom season. Be nice to your folks, it is a rare treat.
    jkw

Post by jkw Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:24 am

It's worth asking around around your dojo/area for anyone who has non-Kodokan contacts and can provide an introduction. An email introduction ahead of time can be a great way to experience other training environments. You would probably enjoy medium-level university or machi-dojo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 am