E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+23
gaijin_judoka
Jonesy
NYCNewbie
hedgehogey
Pieman
Emanuele2
Ben Reinhardt
judoratt
radzfman
RidgewoodJudo
LeighJudo
Hanon
Peahen
finarashi
Cichorei Kano
nomoremondays
ThePieman
Ricebale
BillC
genetic judoka
Quicksilver
Davaro
sydvicious
27 posters

Now that leg grabs are completely disallowed...

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Now that leg grabs are completely disallowed... - Page 3 Empty Re: Now that leg grabs are completely disallowed...

Post by Jonesy Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:50 am

Peahen wrote:Basically it means teaching 2 syllabi, one for competition and one for non competitive players.
    I like a lot of the new competition rules as it will make for a cleaner more competitive judo. Although I do feel that removal of leg grab once on the ground so that you can turnover into ne waza is a bit too much. I just feel for the refs who have to make the split second decision as to whether it is leg grab or not. Might have been nice to have 1 shido and then hansukemake but there we are....competition rules are just that.
    There is one judo syllabus which should include the totality of Kodokan judo. I will insist on teaching all of judo as I have always done. It is up to those who want to compete to stay abreast of the ever changing rules.
    gaijin_judoka
    gaijin_judoka

Now that leg grabs are completely disallowed... - Page 3 Empty Re: Now that leg grabs are completely disallowed...

Post by gaijin_judoka Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Jonesy wrote:There are no cowards in the middle of the shiai-jo, period!

To bad they aren't the ones making the rules.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:57 pm

What about the option of having very short judogi pants. Like Sambo shorts. Is there a reason the IJF opted out of that? From what little I've seen of sambo, it seems they rarely attack the legs, especially coming from strong freestyle wrestling countries that can probably do a quick shot. No gi friction, lack of grips, that has to help prevent a reliance on leg attacks and would have to prevent ugly ones.
    gaijin_judoka
    gaijin_judoka

Post by gaijin_judoka Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:49 pm

That wouldn't prevent people from using the leg grab as a stalling technique which is the legitimate reason behind the rule.
    techman

Post by techman Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Jonesy wrote:
    Peahen wrote:Basically it means teaching 2 syllabi, one for competition and one for non competitive players.
    I like a lot of the new competition rules as it will make for a cleaner more competitive judo. Although I do feel that removal of leg grab once on the ground so that you can turnover into ne waza is a bit too much. I just feel for the refs who have to make the split second decision as to whether it is leg grab or not. Might have been nice to have 1 shido and then hansukemake but there we are....competition rules are just that.
    There is one judo syllabus which should include the totality of Kodokan judo. I will insist on teaching all of judo as I have always done. It is up to those who want to compete to stay abreast of the ever changing rules.

I agree with Jonesy on this. I also teach the full syllabus, and would not exclude a technique because it was banned in competition. I try to remember which things are no longer allowed, but have to admit that I sometimes struggle with the rule changes.
    It does however seem to me that as many of my old mates predicted, we are rapidly getting 2 styles of judo Kodokan(what some call traditional judo) and competition judo.
    Always remember the original startrek where Scotty used to say:Its life(replace with judo) Jim, But not as we know it.!! confused confused
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:18 pm

nomoremondays wrote:

ps: my promise to billC still stands, though I reserve the right to vent now and then :-)

Knock yourself out on this one amigo. Wink
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:26 pm

Q mystic wrote:What about the option of having very short judogi pants. Like Sambo shorts. Is there a reason the IJF opted out of that? From what little I've seen of sambo, it seems they rarely attack the legs, especially coming from strong freestyle wrestling countries that can probably do a quick shot. No gi friction, lack of grips, that has to help prevent a reliance on leg attacks and would have to prevent ugly ones.

Have you had a close look at most veteran judoka's purple-spotted, scarred legs? Exposing our crusty, twisted yellow feet is bad enough. My dermatologist always asks me "what the heck happened to your shins? Then he remembers our previous annual checking and freezing sessions ... "oh yeah ... you are a judo guy..." Shocked

P.S. - what happened to the puking smiley. Our new member, Chunky "Greg" Jung resembled that one earlier this evening. Will he quit smoking ... I dunno ... but it's a beautiful shade of green he turned.
    hedgehogey

Post by hedgehogey Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:06 am

gaijin_judoka wrote:That wouldn't prevent people from using the leg grab as a stalling technique which is the legitimate reason behind the rule.

In that case, ban drop seoinage, sumi gaeshi and tomoe nage, as they all get used for that far far more often.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:07 am

gaijin_judoka wrote:That wouldn't prevent people from using the leg grab as a stalling technique which is the legitimate reason behind the rule.

I bet it would help reduce alot of it. It would eliminate many of the actual 'grabs' and friction to where the 'defender' would be much less hindered in his game and the 'shooter' more sillier. Gi pants are so soft and moist and pliable, a judokas touch is usually instant clasp and lock and that changes the game slightly but significantly. Actual fakes or even attempts would require much more effort. No more just tap, grab and lift from the top or side of knee/leg pant to lift or drop. You would generally have to commit deeper level drops and penetration which would require more effort and be alot more obvious and embarrassing if used as a stalling tactic. Shorts would allow low attacks opportunity but at the same time a little more advantage to the 'defender' to still be offensive.

I think it'd be worth a shot to try with a buddy that complains alot about no low attacks. Go old school in shorts and gi top and see. He goes low and slaps my slippery leg for not even 1 lb of kuzushi and I'll SMASH him!! "Ippon Smiley".lol

Or, we could make gi pants as thick as gi tops.lol
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:54 am

hedgehogey wrote:

In that case, ban drop seoinage, sumi gaeshi and tomoe nage, as they all get used for that far far more often.

This x1000!

The amount of instances of a half-assed tomoe nage I have seen lately is astounding.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:00 am

So we need MORE rules making more techniques illegal, LOL. You guys crack me up.

BTW, I think the latest installment of totally banning touching below the belt is overboard.
    hedgehogey

Post by hedgehogey Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:05 am

It's a rhetorical advice: take a point to its logical conclusion to show how ridiculous it is.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:39 am

hedgehogey wrote:It's a rhetorical advice: take a point to its logical conclusion to show how ridiculous it is.

Reducto ad absurdum

Hence the cracking up part.
    hedgehogey

Post by hedgehogey Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:02 am

*Rhetorical device
    gaijin_judoka
    gaijin_judoka

Post by gaijin_judoka Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:27 pm

hedgehogey wrote:

I don't think anything should be banned.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 am

hedgehogey wrote:*Rhetorical device

<quotes Noam Chomsky out of context>
    Boruta46

Post by Boruta46 Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:05 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:
    judoratt wrote:Is my opinion that the majority of the rule changes favor the classic stand up Japanese style of judo. The reason why Japanese are not winning as many medals is the advancement of worldwide judo.
    Agreed. Just reading the justification for the new rules pretty much confirms that.

It's an interesting cycle. At first, the Japanese reigned supreme. Then, to catch up, the Europeans/Russians introduced intensive conditioning and training methods, unorthodox "techniques" etc to close the gap. Finally, with time, the world caught up technically to the Japanese, and that plus the modern training methods closed the gap all the way.

Along the way, the IJF (d)evolved into a modern sports organization whose primary purpose is to make money as part of the Olympic (and modern commercial sports) movement.

Anybody else see the irony in changing the rules to remove all the technical strategies used by the West to help overcome Japanese dominance?

Ben

But
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:20 am

lolol. Sry Boruta, no offence, but Davaro's just going to love that post.Laughing 
    Davaro
    Davaro

Post by Davaro Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:01 am

Q mystic wrote:lolol. Sry Boruta, no offence, but Davaro's just going to love that post.Laughing 
    Yep.... thats EXACTLY what I mean affraid 

(It actually took me a while to figure out what you meant there... then it "clicked" - Necromania LOL)

radzfman

Post by radzfman Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 am

Well still want to use the Gokyo in competition? There's always Sambo and its not uncommon for judo competitors to do both Sambo and Judo competitions.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Meanwhile in parts of the world that don't give a toss:

Looks like so much more fun than more rules

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:10 am