E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+10
BillC
ryanhb
Steve Leadbeater
ThePieman
finarashi
Cichorei Kano
accident_prone
still learning
Wandering WB
genetic judoka
14 posters

so a fellow donated Kashiwazaki's book to our dojo on friday...

genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

so a fellow donated Kashiwazaki's book to our dojo on friday... Empty so a fellow donated Kashiwazaki's book to our dojo on friday...

Post by genetic judoka Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 am

just out of the blue, a guy came in and said he was considering picking judo back up after many years off, but didn't seem like he was that serious about it. this is not that abnormal. but what was abnormal was that he was carrying some books and some VHS videos with him. one of the books was Kashiwazaki's Fighting Judo. he GAVE it to us, saying we'd get more use out of it that he does.

I thought that was pretty cool. in fact cool enough to write a post about. so how much is that thing worth?
    Wandering WB

so a fellow donated Kashiwazaki's book to our dojo on friday... Empty Re: so a fellow donated Kashiwazaki's book to our dojo on friday...

Post by Wandering WB Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:04 pm

One book of Kashiwazaki's Fighting Judo as opposed to the entire Internet? It's nice to have a solid copy so you can flip the pages, unless it's supposed to be an antique. Be polite and thank your guest for his contribution to the club. Tell him he is welcome there and have him randori with a few people to see what his personality is like.
    still learning

so a fellow donated Kashiwazaki's book to our dojo on friday... Empty Re: so a fellow donated Kashiwazaki's book to our dojo on friday...

Post by still learning Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:44 am

Reading the very same book at present, quality material, even if some of the techniques are now banned by the IJF.

Unfortunately I only have it on loan, tried looking for a copy...£250 ouch!!

accident_prone
    accident_prone

Post by accident_prone Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:54 am

i printed my own copy from a PDF, when a great book is out of print, sometimes one has to get creative.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:14 am

accident_prone wrote:i printed my own copy from a PDF, when a great book is out of print, sometimes one has to get creative.

Maybe you shouldn't publicly admit to that (unless it is under an authorized "reasonable use" or licensed program, or unless you have also acquired an actual copy of the book which you want to safeguard from damage). Just a thought (not trying to criticize you, only trying to protect you).
    accident_prone
    accident_prone

Post by accident_prone Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:36 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:
    accident_prone wrote:i printed my own copy from a PDF, when a great book is out of print, sometimes one has to get creative.

Maybe you shouldn't publicly admit to that (unless it is under an authorized "reasonable use" or licensed program, or unless you have also acquired an actual copy of the book which you want to safeguard from damage). Just a thought (not trying to criticize you, only trying to protect you).

good point.

i should say, i made a copy of my out of print copy so that it doesn't get any additional wear and tear. (of course)
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 am

Great book, used to be available in japanese, but that has also gone scarce.
    So good luck.

Actually the useabilityper price index for your copy approaches infinity so it must be the best book you have Smile
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Wandering WB wrote:One book of Kashiwazaki's Fighting Judo as opposed to the entire Internet? It's nice to have a solid copy so you can flip the pages, unless it's supposed to be an antique. Be polite and thank your guest for his contribution to the club. Tell him he is welcome there and have him randori with a few people to see what his personality is like.

The internet can be a valuable tool, it is however unregulated and has a lot of misinformation from people who really have no idea what they are talking about, kashiwazaki is not one of those people and the information in his book is of the highest standards; though not particularly useful to beginners.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:54 am

Kashiwazaki said to me about 5 or 6 years ago that

"EVEN HE CANNOT GET A COPY OF FIGHTING JUDO"

He was quite adamant that even as Author he was not party to accessing a copy.
    ryanhb

Post by ryanhb Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:05 am

i dont post here often i lurk alot for my sins.But i have a copy of this book- hardback but without the paper cover. It has photographs by terence donavan printer 1985 is this the same book? or a reprint?
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:44 am

It's probably being suppressed because it includes a lot of grip tactics. Wink

My copy ... cover included ... first edition ... in near pristine condition ... sticker on the back says "member's price $15.96."
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:49 am

so a fellow donated Kashiwazaki's book to our dojo on friday... Photo%2004-04-2013%2019%2004%2013
    If it is this book then be very very grateful to the donor. It is a masterpiece both in terms of its content and the quality of its photography by the late great Terrence Donovan (fashion photographer extraordinaire and black belt judoka). It was a collaboration between the two men when Kashiwazaki-sensei was on a sabbatical teaching at the Budokwai in London.

I am not sure that "Fighting judo" was ever available in Japanese - "Attacking Judo" co-written with Nakanishi-sensei was, for sure.

I have the book and it is one of the jewels in my collection. Kashiwazaki-sensei gives a lot of his personal thoughts on judo therein too.
    accident_prone
    accident_prone

Post by accident_prone Fri May 03, 2013 12:37 am

looks like someone (not me) has put a scan of it on google docs https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B915z7ncwZfudzhmX1EwdVExcWs/edit?usp=sharing
    hedgehogey

Post by hedgehogey Fri May 03, 2013 6:50 am

I...I want to make out with you.
    rjohnston411
    rjohnston411

Post by rjohnston411 Fri May 03, 2013 7:38 am

This book is full of goodness. The ne waza portion has me salivating.
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Fri May 03, 2013 7:52 am

when finals are over I'm gonna have to bring it home and start reading.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Steve Leadbeater wrote:Kashiwazaki said to me about 5 or 6 years ago that

"EVEN HE CANNOT GET A COPY OF FIGHTING JUDO"

He was quite adamant that even as Author he was not party to accessing a copy.
    Hi Steve,
    do you mean he doesn't even OWN one ? Shocked 

I found it in a second hand bookstore last year. Really fantastic pictures in there. Beautiful book, with some words of wisdom.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 pm