E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+18
sodo
Okazi
Udon
nomoremondays
heikojr
medo
JudoSensei
afulldeck
Admin
Creamy creamy baileys
Jonesy
Quicksilver
Judo Dad
Jimgo
Hanon
Dutch Budo
genetic judoka
ThePieman
22 posters

A poll for the new JF members.

Poll

Should we use the +/- and reputation function??

[ 18 ]
    A poll for the new JF members. - Page 3 Bar_left39%A poll for the new JF members. - Page 3 Bar_right [39%] 
    [ 6 ]
    A poll for the new JF members. - Page 3 Bar_left13%A poll for the new JF members. - Page 3 Bar_right [13%] 
    [ 22 ]
    A poll for the new JF members. - Page 3 Bar_left48%A poll for the new JF members. - Page 3 Bar_right [48%] 

Total Votes: 46
    sodo
    sodo

A poll for the new JF members. - Page 3 Empty Re: A poll for the new JF members.

Post by sodo Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:51 am

Dew wrote:

so why "sodo-lite" - is this the start of an all new softly softly aproach to trolls ? diet ?

It is a sign that I will try and tread lightly and be politically "almost" correct Rolling Eyes and not scare off any beginners or bjj practitoners, until of course the sankyu sensei arrive, then there is a good chance that I revert to the good old plain sodo Laughing

atb
    sodo lite
    Hanon

A poll for the new JF members. - Page 3 Empty Re: A poll for the new JF members.

Post by Hanon Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:52 am

sodo lite wrote:
    Dew wrote:

so why "sodo-lite" - is this the start of an all new softly softly aproach to trolls ? diet ?

It is a sign that I will try and tread lightly and be politically "almost" correct Rolling Eyes and not scare off any beginners or bjj practitoners, until of course the sankyu sensei arrive, then there is a good chance that I revert to the good old plain sodo Laughing

atb
    sodo lite

I fear if we misbehave here we will both get shown the door.Laughing

How are you mate? So nice to hear from you again.

Drop me a PM telling me all the latest your end. I will reply likewise.affraid

Mike

Last edited by Hanon on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:44 am

sodo lite wrote:

atb
    sodo lite
    that's no fun! I kinda liked it when you were the one to be a dick and say what we were all thinking. it saved me the trouble of doing it myself!
    sodo
    sodo

Post by sodo Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 pm

genetic judoka wrote:
    sodo lite wrote:

atb
    sodo lite
    that's no fun! I kinda liked it when you were the one to be a dick and say what we were all thinking. it saved me the trouble of doing it myself!

Don't worry, being realistic, How long do you think I can really keep my mouth shut Very Happy

hey maybe you could do a polll and to make it interesing takes bets aswell ( I am in for 50% of the takings ) Evil or Very Mad

atb

sodo lite
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:14 am

sodo lite wrote:... until of course the sankyu sensei arrive, then there is a good chance that I revert to the good old plain sodo Laughing ...

What's wrong with that? Most of my students say "sankyu sensei" after every workout.

Razz Just had to be the first one to post that ..
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:35 pm

If it was a straight choice between Use only the +/- function or Use neither the +/- nor reputation, I rekon the Use the +/- function and reputation voters would go with the Use only the +/- function voters.

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:41 am

Ok so going for the fairly obvious assumption that those that voted for the use of the full reputation system would all prefer to have the +/- on individual posts rather than nothing at all - can we safely say the votes are 23 - 19 ?
    ThePieman
    ThePieman

Post by ThePieman Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 am

Would have been nice to see more people vote, and a bigger majority. Mad

But yes, lets see how it goes. Twisted Evil
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:24 am

Unless I misunderstand something the majority have voted against any of the plus or minus or reputation systems?

Is it not possible to just have a forum where we post and interact face to face rather than pass pluses and minuses?

The forum has been going now nicely without such trappings. Just bloomin post and debate. Lets not complicate what is so simple?

Mike
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 am

Dew wrote:Ok so going for the fairly obvious assumption that those that voted for the use of the full reputation system would all prefer to have the +/- on individual posts rather than nothing at all - can we safely say the votes are 23 - 19 ?

+1
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 am

Judo Dad wrote:
    Dew wrote:Ok so going for the fairly obvious assumption that those that voted for the use of the full reputation system would all prefer to have the +/- on individual posts rather than nothing at all - can we safely say the votes are 23 - 19 ?

+1

I am completely lost.Shocked

Never mind:|

How are you keeping?

Mike

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:21 am

Proportional representation old chap - no wasted votes here. Besides your point of view has helped prevent the full reputation thing - democracy in action ! - whats more I tink Carlo has found a way to do the thankyou thing.
    nomoremondays
    nomoremondays

Post by nomoremondays Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 am

Hey Dew,

So what exactly are these stars(sort of)? Can you explain what the current iteration means? I am a bit confused how to use this? Any post I like gets a + ? Or is it any person I like gets a + ? If its the latter, if this fellow gets on my nerve later can I demote him to a - ? lol!!
    genetic judoka
    genetic judoka

Post by genetic judoka Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:14 am

I don't think "stars" is a good title for what is going on, in the same sense as the stars on your profile of the old forum. it's a summed total of your positive/negative votes on your posts.
    nomoremondays
    nomoremondays

Post by nomoremondays Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:49 am

genetic judoka wrote:I don't think "stars" is a good title for what is going on, in the same sense as the stars on your profile of the old forum. it's a summed total of your positive/negative votes on your posts.

so your ideal number of stars is numberOfYourPosts x numberOfForumMembers bounce

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 am

There you go - you can give people a positive mark for their individual posts but there will be no cumulative rankings . A happy compromise I hope !
    Hanon

Post by Hanon Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 am

Dew wrote:There you go - you can give people a positive mark for their individual posts but there will be no cumulative rankings . A happy compromise I hope !

Time will tell:affraid:

Mike:)
    seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:12 pm

No doubt some people misused the system on JF, but I think at being able to + vote a post is a useful tool; sometimes you want to show that a post has been appreciated but don't really have anything to add to the discussion so it helps to cut down on the amount QFT, plus juan, LOL ect posts.

EDIT: I've also just noticed that this forum has 'foes list'. Shocked

Presumably this serves the same function as 'ignore user'?
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:32 pm

seatea wrote:No doubt some people misused the system on JF, but I think at being able to + vote a post is a useful tool; sometimes you want to show that a post has been appreciated but don't really have anything to add to the discussion so it helps to cut down on the amount QFT, plus juan, LOL ect posts.

Perhaps if there was no negative button but only an agree or like button. That way when you want to show that a post has been appreciated but don't really have anything to add to the discussion you can conveniently do so but if you have nothing nice to say well, just let it go. Also it would eliminate the possibilty of fat fingered fossils accidently clicking the -ve button (Sorry Ricebale).

What does worry me is that there are so few votes. There would be those that are undecided or have no opinion either way and have therefore not voted, fair enough. However, in the event that most users could simply be unaware of the poll, could something be done to highlight that is is still open. Alternatively, close the poll and see how the current set up goes.
    Kurobi

Post by Kurobi Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:49 pm

I don't think I will use the +/- system if it becomes a feature. For me, personally, I don't feel the need to declare to anyone what I may personally feel.via a + or -. If I do feel strongly about a post, I would so elect to reply, or at least question for clarification. This would give the poster a clearer venue to rebut, and to rebut me for my specific reply. I think it is a bit more difficult to rebut a (-) in any coherent fashion. If I consider a post "rubbish" (and I very seldom do and so far never), I simply would ignore. If post and replies begin to fracture the forums cohesion, there are already remedies in place to deal with it.

I feel very, very comfortable in my abilities to assess, analyze and draw my own conclusions based on contents of the post. So to with the post's replies. A ( + or -) tells me precious little as to why for that particular indicator.. I think I would ignore the + or - much more than the post itself. A post would tend to be far more revealing about our forum members. A (+ or -) is far to easy, very little involvement required. Now after saying this, I must admit that sometimes a post can reveal nothing more than a thumbs up or down, very little substance, no justification other than displeasure. At those times, I simply say, shucks tooooooo bad. Unable to learn anything more than someone is dissatisfied with a particular poster or post.

Now for the situation where I have the need to let people know the post (and in some cases the poster) is poop, troll or otherwise .......nah.........., no need. for a + or- . People will eventually know on their own and will decide how they want to respond .........or not.

Then there is the entertainment value. Someone who is way, way out there in left field, jumping around getting all kinds of attention by being a boob can be somewhat entertaining.......until the entertainment value quickly runs out that is. When that happens, well........, off to another thread. I recognize I have the ability to do just that. I don't need to sit there and become bored. I think we all can sense when this is happening and will deal with it accordingly.

My very, very best to all.,

Kurobi
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:09 am

Dew wrote:There you go - you can give people a positive mark for their individual posts but there will be no cumulative rankings . A happy compromise I hope !

Well the option to give people a positive mark for their individual posts has returned and the E-Judo network/forum has not collapsed into anarchy. It is after all an option you can use or chose to ignore. Not sure what the thanks button does but I have already used it to thank somebody for providing some useful information about a topic.
    Peahen

Post by Peahen Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:18 am

One persons rubbish is another persons golden nugget. So leave it to the individual to discern how good bad or indifferent posts and posters
    Judo Dad
    Judo Dad

Post by Judo Dad Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:30 am

Did I imagine it, I was browsing the Research & History section and there was a thanks button, which I clicked. Now there is not. What happened? and what does a thanks button do anyway?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:51 pm