E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Info on this picture

IgorRG

Info on this picture Empty Info on this picture

Post by IgorRG Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 pm

A friend of mine send me this photo some time ago but he had no information about it...

Can anybody tell me anything about it? Where, whos, when?
    Anything will be welcome!

Thank you.

Info on this picture 110
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Info on this picture Empty Re: Info on this picture

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:27 pm

IgorRG wrote:A friend of mine send me this photo some time ago but he had no information about it...

Can anybody tell me anything about it? Where, whos, when?
    Anything will be welcome!

Thank you.

Info on this picture 110

矢野柔道場 reads "Yano Jûdôjô".

First question then is which Yano-sensei is meant here ?

I am wondering if the person second from left on the first row is Munakata Itsurô ?  Or if not, Murakami Kunio ?  I always have a hard time keeping the two apart.

What I am going to write now is speculation, so do not take my conclusion as fact.

The name Yano is particularly connected to Takeuchi Santô-ryû jûjutsu, a school that was founded shortly before the start of the Meiji period. Later, like Tenjin Shin'yô-ryû many practitioners of the school cross-trained in Kôdôkan jûdô. Samura Kaichirô who together with Mifune was one of the 10th dan-holders to live until half of the 1960s was probably its most famous practioner in Kôdôkan jûdô. Practitioners of TSTR around the Taishô period ((1912-1926) often wore jûdôgi rather than hakama. I speculate that this dôjô and the people in the picture might be situated in that context ?  I have, however, no proof to substantiate that speculation.

One of the shihan from that ryû by the name of Yano is shown in the famous 1906 Butokukai picture with Kanô, seated second from right, but I do not recognize that gentleman as being present in the photo shown by you. Then again, who knows, since people age, and they sometimes may be hard to recognize when there is a time window of 20 years or more between two pictures.

Last edited by Cichorei Kano on Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:23 am; edited 3 times in total
    IgorRG

Post by IgorRG Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Thank you very much, even that is only speculation, it is a speculation from a true researcher.
    I've tried, unsuccessfully, to match these guys with many other pictures.
    The guy standing on the extreme left, looks very tough, big neck like Ushijima or Ebi Goichi...
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 pm

I had a long thread on Takeuchi Santo ryu on the old forum.  Yano was a very famous instructor, played a role in a few interesting developments.

I know some folks reconstructing TSR based on the extensive notes of the last known instructor / soke, and with permission of the family.  The way they do it is very physical, seemingly would fit these stocky gents. 

When Kano shihan opened a dojo in Kumamoto, he found fertile ground for training.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:51 pm