E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+25
machine
Co10Broek
nomoremondays
Gus
Cichorei Kano
DarthVader
contrarian
Glorfindel
TheWizardofOdds
JudoStu
Emanuele2
The_Harvest
Ben Reinhardt
genetic judoka
radzfman
NittyRanks
seatea
sodo
Ricebale
NYCNewbie
rjohnston411
Q mystic
OldeEnglishD
tafftaz
TJCuchi_mata
29 posters

Do you cross train?

Emanuele2

Do you cross train?   - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you cross train?

Post by Emanuele2 Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:56 am

rjohnston411 wrote:Even Kung fu is useful if taught in an applicable way to defending yourself.

Roy Nelson trained in Northern shaolin kung fu.
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:46 am

rjohnston411 wrote:Even Kung fu is useful if taught in an applicable way to defending yourself.
    you may be right but if you want to learn a stand up art there are more effective ones out there than Wing Chun but thats a discussion for another thread
    TJCuchi_mata
    TJCuchi_mata

Post by TJCuchi_mata Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:47 am

JudoStu wrote:i've dipped my toe in to BJJ before and have enjoyed it. I found that it really gave me an edge where my Judo Newaza is concerned although i'm pretty easy prey to BJJ blue belts and above.
    Other than that I do boxing padwork once a week for a good cardio workout and did Wing Chun for many years before I woke up smelt the coffee

I spoke with a international judo competitor at a bigger tournament once, that said he did light boxing work outs (the different bags and padwork) to help his speed, footwork, and endurance for judo.  After I thought about it, it makes sense.  The footwork in boxing and judo share a similar concept.  Your trying to create angles to catch your opponent standing square with you.  I remember reading on a mma forum that it was mentioned a lot of Japanese judoka practice boxing too.  Maybe for this reason?

They just brought a boxing coach in at my bjj club.  I might start trying one class a week if I can find the time.  The closer to 30 I get, my decreasing speed and agility are my biggest downfall in judo, so I'll take any help I can get.  With that said, my decreasing amount of free time is also a big downfall lol.
    TheWizardofOdds

Post by TheWizardofOdds Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:08 am

I took up Judo last summer at the age of 37 and can't get enough of it. Literally.

I attend one class per week, this is pretty much down to location, my nearest club other than my own is a 90 mile round trip. There is a Sambo class once per week in the same town as my club but it comes the night after Judo and at 38 it's difficult to recover in time! I was hoping to go to a submission grappling class tonight but cricked my neck at Judo last night so it's now off. I have looked at BJJ classes near to where I work but one of them wants a monthly sub not pay per class and the others are too far from my workplace to attend. 

Other things standing in my way are working shifts, having young kids and trying to get it past the missus that I need to attend more than once per week.

I feel that one of my only other solutions is to somehow incorporate Judo practice into my home workouts. It's difficult as with only a years experience it's hard to teach yourself to supplement a once per week class. I try to focus on shadow work much like a boxer would. I try to imagine I'm gripping an opponent and break the throw down.

I hope to go to Sambo/wrestling etc. but it's Judo I really want to train in, sometimes you have to make the most of what's available.
    Glorfindel
    Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:11 am

I'm doing mma, so i bet we can say that i 'cross train'
    contrarian
    contrarian

Post by contrarian Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:40 pm

i am a student of grappling.

currently doing a bit of judo, but i have wrestled before a couple of years and bjj for a year.
    i'm teaching a bit now, so i try to incorporate what i learned from other sports into judo.

judo is my first real love, and i will always gravitate toward it, but much like real love, there are parts of it i hate.

DarthVader
    DarthVader

Post by DarthVader Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:58 am

Yes, i also do Kickboxing 2 times per week.

Every saturday morning we train only newaza withou Gi.

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:08 am

DarthVader wrote:Yes, i also do Kickboxing 2 times per week.

Every saturday morning we train only newaza withou Gi.

And you also cross-trained in your infamous choking skills:

Gus

Post by Gus Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:31 am

I do BJJ when there's not enough Judo around.
    nomoremondays
    nomoremondays

Post by nomoremondays Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:51 pm

I don't think so. I mean I have trained in other martial arts, but none with a view to improve my judo. Or maybe the answer is yes, because I have trained in other arts as I said.
    'Cross training' always confuses me. cyclops  Is it cross training only if it is directly made applicable to judo? Or does the slightest crossover benefit mean I am a cross trainee?
    Gus

Post by Gus Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:08 am

I found that boxing really improved my Judo - Judoka are just not expecting to be punched in the face during randori - gets them everytime Very Happy 
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:22 am

Gus wrote:I found that boxing really improved my Judo - Judoka are just not expecting to be punched in the face during randori - gets them everytime Very Happy 

Gus, I was just thinking about that. Well, the boxing/judo deal.lol. I've done quite a few sports before and looking back, the judo and the boxing were uncannily similar in being square and where.

You see in ufc where often Rogan compliments the judoka's balance and core strength when they are so collectively stable in clinches and it reminds me a lot of the squaring up of oneself done in boxing. More than any other sport compared when I think about it. Not that other sports wouldn't be so much about squaring but that in judo and boxing it was so common. Seems to me the contact area in both sports spend quite a lot of time here, relatively, compared to other sports. The dropping in wrestling didn't allow time there to develop like it has with judo.
    Gus

Post by Gus Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Q mystic wrote:
    Gus wrote:I found that boxing really improved my Judo - Judoka are just not expecting to be punched in the face during randori - gets them everytime Very Happy 

Gus, I was just thinking about that. Well, the boxing/judo deal.lol. I've done quite a few sports before and looking back, the judo and the boxing were uncannily similar in being square and where.

You see in ufc where often Rogan compliments the judoka's balance and core strength when they are so collectively stable in clinches and it reminds me a lot of the squaring up of oneself done in boxing. More than any other sport compared when I think about it. Not that other sports wouldn't be so much about squaring but that in judo and boxing it was so common. Seems to me the contact area in both sports spend quite a lot of time here, relatively, compared to other sports. The dropping in wrestling didn't allow time there to develop like it has with judo.

Most judoka I know agree they would be pretty compatible. The only ting is that right handed stance in Judo is left handed (southpaw?) in boxing and vice versa - but that could be an advantage .
    Personally I wouldn't advise cross-training till you have a good base in one martial art ....
    Co10Broek

Post by Co10Broek Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 pm

@Gus, Did you really mean that people shouldn't do more than one sport at a time? Why?
    Gus

Post by Gus Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Co10Broek wrote:@Gus, Did you really mean that people shouldn't do more than one sport at a time? Why?

Not at all - I am only talking about beginners. For beginners I think its a good idea to get a good grounding in one martial art first - a couple of years - the main reason is that you dont want to confuse your muscle memory - some things are contradictory (like southpaw being right handed etc) some things are more strength based than Judo etc etc
    I wouldnt say you couldnt do tennis or something though - because that is not a martial art or a combat sport - its completely different. Having said this I have to say I think BJJ groundwork is very compatible with Judo if you are only looking at it from the point of view of technique - you'd probably get away with that with Judo from the begining. Wrestling however I do not think would be a good compliment for Judo from the begining as it has a different approach altogether - not all grappling is alike.
    Co10Broek

Post by Co10Broek Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:04 am

@Gus,
    That is an interesting thesis. I've heard it in a couple of other situations (generally combat type sports). In other physical activities I don't encounter this idea. For example I have 20 years of dance experience (ballet, jazz, modern tap etc) in these endeavors people are encouraged to explore similar avenues and I've not noticed any difficulty with motor learning. I wonder if anyone has ever studied this. . .
    Co
    Gus

Post by Gus Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:59 am

Co10Broek wrote:@Gus,
    That is an interesting thesis.  I've heard it in a couple of other situations (generally combat type sports).  In other physical activities I don't encounter this idea.  For example I have 20 years of dance experience (ballet, jazz, modern tap etc) in these endeavors people are encouraged to explore similar avenues and I've not noticed any difficulty with motor learning.  I wonder if anyone has ever studied this. . .
    Co

but would you encourage a complete beginner to train ballet and tap dancing at the same time ? To get good at Judo takes a lot of effort and concentration (just like anything of course) so you have to be focussed and train several times a week - I dont think many people would have the time money or stamina to do two - I was training Judo 7 times a week when I started out - I did go a bit overboard - but there is no way I could have done anything else . Then when I got to a certain level I started to crosstrain. Obviously if I was going to the olympics that intensity of training would get more not less adn crosstraining would not be on the agenda .....
    The muscle memory thing came from my first Judo instructor - a respected coach who was 8th Dan Kodokan - he also taught the Tokyo police Karate etc so he wasnt completely against crosstraining - just for beginners. I have also heard it said in MMA circles that its a good idea to have a firm grounding in one thing first. Of course Judo, Sambo, BJJ etc are so similar technically that I would say that it probably wouldnt do you too much harm - wrestling though I would say was a very different discipline .
    That doesnt mean Im right though. I know bilingual children take longer to start speaking - but when they do they have a firm grounding in both languages - so who knows maybe its the same with martial arts ?
    Co10Broek

Post by Co10Broek Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 am

When I started dancing I began with ballet and tap. As I progressed thru high school in addition to my dance classes (and Judo) I was also doing gymnastics.
    I also teach a "historic European martial art" and in that I work wrestling/self defense and weapon work there isn't really a conflict. Lots of ideas translate. I don't believe there is any grounds for not learning other sports or martial arts.

Co
    Gus

Post by Gus Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:36 am

Co10Broek wrote:When I started dancing I began with ballet and tap. As I progressed thru high school in addition to my dance classes (and Judo) I was also doing gymnastics.  
    I also teach a "historic European martial art" and in that I work wrestling/self defense and weapon work there isn't really a conflict.  Lots of ideas translate. I don't believe there is any grounds for not learning other sports or martial arts.

Co

Well Im right and you're wrong - lets just leave it at that Very Happy What would this historic martial art be ? Is it Bartitisu - I love the look of that - or is it that French kick boxing ? Pray tell !
    Co10Broek

Post by Co10Broek Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:33 am

It is the Kunst des Fechtens from Germany.
    But Bartitisu and Savate look fun too.
    machine

Post by machine Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Co10Broek wrote:It is the Kunst des Fechtens from Germany.  
    But Bartitisu and Savate look fun too.

I may have met some of these Fechten Kunst.

A lot of the guys who cross-train start reducing the number of sessions in the one style so as to cross-train in the other. They often end up not being really good in either. I tend to think it is better to at least get to black belt level in one before cross-training in another style.
    poundsand

Post by poundsand Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:18 am

TheWizardofOdds wrote:I took up Judo last summer at the age of 37 and can't get enough of it. Literally.
    There is a Sambo class once per week in the same town as my club but it comes the night after Judo and at 38 it's difficult to recover in time! I was hoping to go to a submission grappling class tonight but cricked my neck at Judo last night so it's now off.
    I'm 37 and just took up judo after a few years of bjj - I don't think I would ever get in more than a day every week or three if I only went when I didn't have a crick in my neck (or fingers or wrist or toe or back...).  ;-)
    Tai-Jutsu
    Tai-Jutsu

Post by Tai-Jutsu Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:58 am

Gus wrote:
    Q mystic wrote:

Most judoka I know agree they would be pretty compatible. The only ting is that right handed stance in Judo is left handed (southpaw?) in boxing and vice versa - but that could be an advantage .
    Personally I wouldn't advise cross-training till you have a good base in one martial art ....
    In our Ju Jutsu school, we also crosstrain in house in Boxing, sportive and street approach. Drilling, working pads and sparring part of most Saturdays classes.

Very compatable, more so IMO if you fight southpaw or in my case (Kenpo, Choy Li Fut and TKD years ago) strong side forward.

Many times you just flow from a combo right into a throw.

We also crosstrain in Pekiti Tarsia and wargame situations of ducumented violence and see what happens

I'm sure a lot of you would not be suprissed how waza we share in common with Judo are what pulls it out for you a good deal of the time. Osoto Gari is to me one of the top 5 waza of any art I've trained in for self defense, both fairly text book and in variation in concert with striking.
    dimitris-gre
    dimitris-gre

Post by dimitris-gre Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:04 pm

I train Judo every day and bjj 1 or twice per week.I used to do boxing instead of bjj but i want to improve my newaza so i took up bjj.Boxing is nice so is bjj but there is nothing like Judo....
    Tai-Jutsu
    Tai-Jutsu

Post by Tai-Jutsu Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:11 am

That's the thing about crosstraining, you can be seasonal about it when you have a main art you commit to.

One could do Judo all year and do BJJ in the Fall in Winter and Boxing in the Spring and Summer.

In our Ju Jutsu/Combatives classes, when I teach I put more emphasis on throws we share with Judo and more Gi grappling in the Fall and Winter as people wear more cloths then and many times are restricted in footwork do to footing and we up the crosstraining with striking, body throws, no gi groundwork in the Spring and Summer, as people wear less clothing, get slick with sweat and are more vulnerable to atemi while throwing harder to intercept and lock atemi themselves.

My Son does Ju Jutsu all year long but he does Fencing part of the year, is going to give Judo a go in the Winter and then Soccer in the Spring.

It's Like when we were all kids and you played Baseball in the Spring and Summer, Football in the Fall to Winter, Basketball in the Winter and Soccer in the spring. Somethings you were good at, some were just fun and a good workout. They all kind of helped each other.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:02 am