E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

3 posters

Double Weave Judogi with No Logo

JosephBuddy

Double Weave Judogi with No Logo Empty Double Weave Judogi with No Logo

Post by JosephBuddy Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:24 am

Hello everyone.  I'm looking for a new double weave judogi that is moderately priced (around $100 or less) and has no logo's on it other than the tag on the lower lapel.   The HSU gi has gotten some good reviews on various boards, but the most recent one that I saw was 2010 and I wondered if anybody had more current experience with them?   I've also looked at the KI international double weave and the Century double weave.  I'd be interested in any opinions on those too.  I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JosephBuddy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Double Weave Judogi with No Logo Empty Re: Double Weave Judogi with No Logo

Post by afulldeck Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 am

There is a very good review of the KI international found here

I don't like Century Gi, they generally don't hold up very well, and the quality is inconsistent.
    JosephBuddy

Post by JosephBuddy Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:42 am

The KI gi does look really good, especially for the price. I was a little reluctant to go with that one because the only mention of it I saw on the internet was that one thread. I know some karate guys that think their gi's are great, but I didn't know if the quality would carry over to judo since karate seems to be their specialty. I'll take a closer look.

That's good feedback on the Century gi. Thanks.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:15 am

JosephBuddy wrote:The KI gi does look really good, especially for the price.  I was a little reluctant to go with that one because the only mention of it I saw on the internet was that one thread.  I know some karate guys that think their gi's are great, but I didn't know if the quality would carry over to judo since karate seems to be their specialty.   I'll take a closer look.

That's good feedback on the Century gi.  Thanks.

After re-reading the post on sherdog, I decided to order a KI gi (not that I needed another one) and will post my impressions once I get it.
    JosephBuddy

Post by JosephBuddy Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:22 am

Great! I'll be looking for it.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:53 am

So my KI order came in today; exceptionally good price BTW ($117 with Shipping). I order a size 5 (for your reference I'm 183cm- 98Kilos - long arms, very long legs). Most of the time I order size 5.5 but KI didn't have the half size. Out of the package it did match the wing span of my Fushida 5.5 icon. It also matched the body length including skirt. I haven't trained in it yet, but on the surface the sherdog assessment of the gi seems to be about right with one notable exception; gi weight. The gi doesn't stand in the corner, as was suggested by the reviewer. Its certainly not as thick as my Judoka privilege or Fushida icon and it has a bit more fabric motion. That said, its definitely better quality than the century gi that I have had experienced with. My only concern will be shrinkage since it doesn't seem to have the weight of my other doubles. I plan to air dry until I figure out how much it will shrink. My ICON and PRIVILEGE did not shrink at all-I tried hard because I have on size 6 Privilege that is a slight too big.

The pants are, before washing a pleasant surprise. I have yet to find gi pants that fit, until now. All of my previous judo pants are too short and much two wide (they could probably hold 3 of me). I always need to add fabric. These seem to fit. I'm stunned.

I'm really interested in how this cheaper gi turns out in the long run.
    JosephBuddy

Post by JosephBuddy Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:49 am

I put in an order for a size 5 also, 179cm-80Kilos.  I have long arms too, if not for that the size 4 with minimal shrinking may have been a good fit.  I've had too many sleeves shrink up to the middle of my forearms to take a chance.  I contacted KI to ask how much  to expect and they said at least an inch and a half but wouldn't be more specific than that.  I'll have to shrink this one some, hopefully it will be proportional and I won't end up with short skirt and arms with a baggy torso.  Based on that Sherdog review it looks like it will be ok.  Keep me posted on how you control the shrinking with a cold wash and hang dry.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:21 am

The sleeves shrank about 1/4" after the 1st Wash and hang dry.
    JosephBuddy

Post by JosephBuddy Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:39 am

That's not bad at all. I may send this one back for a 4. Do you know what the wingspan measures now?
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:21 am

JosephBuddy wrote:That's not bad at all.  I may send this one back for a 4.  Do you know what the wingspan measures now?  

Yes 65.5". However I get the distinct impression that its going to shrink even more.
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:41 pm

Multiple myeloma or not ... Fred-sensei would get out of his recliner and kick my broad hind end if I did not call a judogi a judogi ... and anything else a keikogi for that matter. Impolite shorthand he does not tolerate ...
    JosephBuddy

Post by JosephBuddy Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:49 am

I've had a chance to train in this judogi a couple of times and I love it. I was debating between the size 4 or 5 and went with the five, which turned out to be the right choice. I needed to do a little shrinking so I put it through a warm wash and a few short warm cycles in the dryer until it got down to about the right size. I've washed cold and hung dry since then and it doesn't seem to have shrunk any more. I will continue to dry the pants for a while to keep shrinking them. It also shrank pretty much in proportion. My biggest concern was that the arms would shrink and the body would be baggy, but it all shrank about the same. The torso width actually had the biggest percentage change. The pre-wash wingspan was 67", post wash/dry is 63"; length was 35" and is now 34" and the width was 25.75" and is now 23.5". I found that the measurements out of the package were all a couple of inches shorter than what was published on KI's site except for the wingspan. The pants started at 41.5" inches long and I've gotten them down to 38.5" with several dry cycles. The only measurement with no shrinking is the pants waste width. It started at 23" and is still 23". I don't have much to compare the thickness to because I've always worn single weave, but this is thick jacket. It is definitely thicker than my brother-in-law's Hiku IJF.

I'm very happy with it. I can't imagine I would have gotten a better judogi for anywhere near the price of $85 plus minimal shipping. I'll see how it holds up over the next few years.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:26 am

Even though I wash in cold water and hang dry, this judogi continues to shrink. Don't no where it will stop. The body continues to be slightly big, and the sleeves short. I would order a size 6 next time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 am