E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+9
Stacey
Emanuele2
jkw
still learning
beyondgrappling
Cichorei Kano
afulldeck
justcurious
Jonesy
13 posters

Anyone but Reiner

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Anyone but Reiner Empty Anyone but Reiner

Post by Jonesy Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:50 pm

Without wishing to be mean spirited, the time is right for a new judoka to top the male heavyweight category......
    justcurious

Anyone but Reiner Empty Re: Anyone but Reiner

Post by justcurious Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:01 am

I guess this will happen automatically if anyone beats him lol! 
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:08 am

Jonesy wrote:Without wishing to be mean spirited, the time is right for a new judoka to top the male heavyweight category......
    It may take longer than you think....at 24, 130Kg excellent shape it doesn't look likely....anytime soon...
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:15 am

afulldeck wrote:
    Jonesy wrote:Without wishing to be mean spirited, the time is right for a new judoka to top the male heavyweight category......
    It may take longer than you think....at 24, 130Kg excellent shape it doesn't look likely....anytime soon...
    Fear not, mein Freund. The new results of our genetic lab experiments are hopeful. Noch ein bischen patience. We have made a special secret potion that will allows us to create humanoids that are invincible, and soon they will rrrrrrrrrrule judo and the entire world, wuhahahahahahahhaaaaaaaa  !!!  (note eerie sounding organ music in the background)
    beyondgrappling

Post by beyondgrappling Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Riner looked almost bored fighting - will he be the greatest ever?
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:43 pm

beyondgrappling wrote:Riner looked almost bored fighting - will he be the greatest ever?
    He may end up with the best ever record of medals/championships, but greatest "judoka" - no way.
    still learning

Post by still learning Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:35 pm

beyondgrappling wrote:Riner looked almost bored fighting - will he be the greatest ever?
    He has already become the greatest bore.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:18 am

still learning wrote:
    Maybe true, but does he continue to gather French fans? What he needs is a true challenger...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-03/news/sns-rt-uk-oly-judo-jum101-rinerbre8721gm-20120803_1_international-judo-federation-judo-player-french-supporters
    jkw

Post by jkw Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:00 am

afulldeck wrote:
    still learning wrote:
    Maybe true, but does he continue to gather French fans? What he needs is a true challenger...

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-03/news/sns-rt-uk-oly-judo-jum101-rinerbre8721gm-20120803_1_international-judo-federation-judo-player-french-supporters
    Although he so clearly dominates the division, I enjoyed watching him in action this year - some nice upright, attacking judo. Also nice rei to Silva after the finals.
    Emanuele2

Post by Emanuele2 Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:47 pm

Riner is the best active heavyweight judoka, he has won everything in judo, he has cleanded the +100 division.

Last edited by Emanuele2 on Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:14 am

What would it take for Riner to rehabilitate his character?
    judo66
    judo66

Post by judo66 Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:35 am

Stacey wrote:What would it take for Riner to rehabilitate his character?
    Very simple, he has to get his american or british citizenship:lol: 
    Davaro
    Davaro

Post by Davaro Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:39 am

judo66 wrote:
    Very simple, he has to get his american or british citizenship:lol: 
    Rehabilitate... NOT destroy Shocked 
    forgeron judo
    forgeron judo

Post by forgeron judo Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:23 am

Although still young, the champion has made many years of efforts and commitment to acheive what he has accomplished thus far. He has a good entourage and some of the best coaches available. Thus far, he can be considered an accomplished champion by most standards yet, he has to continue to learn more life lessons from each match in order to become an accomplished master and leave his trade marks for others to emulate. This is yet to come... be patient and let us hope that his ego will not overide his future behaviour and that no major injuries will impeed his progress to be a better human being.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:48 pm

I would be careful drawing too many conclusions just by looking at one's public persona. I would assume it would require someone who has a long-standing kind of relationship with an individual under a variety of conditions to validate one's conclusions, and even then, people can be indefinitely complex making superficial observations not very useful. If one understands France's long colonial history, ethnic stereotyping, and many other factors that are at play, then nothing surprises me. I once wrote a long post about this on the Makoto forum attempting to address some of these delicate that present challenges to express in a sensitive and balanced way. Remember when Mohammed Ali, then still Cassius Clay started with trash talking in public. At the time it was nearly unseen and people tied all kinds of conclusions to it. On the other hand you'd find jûdôka that will be polite in public, fulfill every step of proper reigi, unnoticeable even, yet would offer stiff competition for the challenge of being the most successful wife beater. Sports, and certainly martial arts, evidently also employ strategy. Strategy exists on and off the tatami and can take the form of words, behaviors, and other things. When you compete at that level, a lot is at stake. The person's income in terms of federation rewards and sponsors depends on it. Then taking into account the country's culture and the type of sponsorships you might secure, a certain public personal might fit better. Usain Bolt exhibits certain things that most of his fellow-competitors don't either. Why ? For similar reasons, but also because he can. For now, no one really is going to beat him unless an injury, a disqualification or other mishap occurs. What kind of person is he really ? I have no idea. I have never met the man, and certainly am not within his circle of confidantes or loved ones. The same applies to Riner. Riner really entered the international field of jûdô at a time that was already distinctively different from the many of the athletes we generally hold in very high esteem in judo. You'll have to mentally prepare to have conversations with people who have never seen judo except for in blue/white gi, on yellow tatami, people who never have known the struggle of women towards being allowed to compete, people who also have no inclination to spontaneously read about these things because they'll conclude that it doesn't affect them ... now. To some extent these are also things which are what precisely is a generation gap things that we will be confronted more and more as we get older. When I see today's youngsters, I, for example, on a regular basis, wonder what they would do if they would be separated for an hour from there cell phone or iPhone. Could we even begin to explain that there used to be a time that unless you were a millionaire you couldn't call someone from a car, and phone was something on a table at home plugged into the wall ? When I look around me, it is as everyone is so incredibly important dealing with trying to solve nuclear crises, of has a loved one in surgery, since I struggle to come up with many other reasons that make a lot of good sense to me as to why the cell phone obsession rules today. I am personally much more disturbed by people who are in line at the cashier in a store who when the cashier is talking to them instead start talking on their phone, or people when you have a private dinner with them or even a date still are under this spell of having to solve nuclear crises constantly SMS-ing, than that having to think about Riner keeps me out of my sleep.
    finarashi
    finarashi

Post by finarashi Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:29 pm

.. on the other hand Riner listens Celine Dion to get pumped up!
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:33 pm

finarashi wrote:.. on the other hand Riner listens Celine Dion to get pumped up!
    Conversely, it is also well possible that Celine Dion watches Riner to get pumped up ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:04 pm