E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+4
Ben Reinhardt
DougNZ
Hanon
Jihef
8 posters

Teaching judo basics to small children

Jihef
    Jihef

Teaching judo basics to small children Empty Teaching judo basics to small children

Post by Jihef Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Hello all,

Could the seasoned instructors here, please recommend (or link to) some texts about teaching the (pre-judo) basics to small children ( 5-6 years old ) ?

Other relevant (more general, maybe) information on this particular subject, or sound personal advice, would be very welcome.
    study

Cheers,
    J-F.
    Hanon

Teaching judo basics to small children Empty Re: Teaching judo basics to small children

Post by Hanon Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:22 am

Hiya, So nice to see a post from you.

I am absolutely the wrong person to offer you an answer. Your question, for me, raises more questions than it answers and they make a book.

Disclaimer...I have not held a class teaching children that age. My past dojo did have such a class but it was taught by other teachers far better suited than I to teach them. I am unsure if children of that tender age even belong in a dojo? I am going to get shot for writing this but it is how I feel and I should be transparent in my answers.

Judo is a full combat activity that by its very nature demands a clear notion of self control and obedience. In all honesty I just cant see a judo dojo ever expecting such notions from children of such tender years, lets face it they have only been out of nappies for two years, have only been able to walk for 3-4 years? Have zero idea of the concept 'no' and 'stop'. PLEASE accept I grossly generalise BUT with judo I have always found it 100% better to be safe than sorry.

More. In this day and age litigation for injury is a growing field. I am unsure if one could even find insurance for children that age to practice judo, yes I know you wrote "Pre judo" but what insurance company will understand that?

Before I even began to list some of the judo pedagogy I would have to mention further vital points. Teaching minors is a dangerous field today. Accusations can be made and considering judo is a full contact art with ne waza consisting of such waza as yoko shiho gatame, tate shiho gatame, kami shiho gatame....These waza, to an uninitiated parent, may appear odd and questions could be asked. What I am driving at is security in the area of child protection. I tend to turn this concept on its head these days and use the term teacher protection through prevention.
    Teaching or being responsible for toddlers needs very VERY careful consideration and planning. At all times should two female teacher be present on the tatami, as a minimum. I would go much further and insist that one parent or other legally responsible adult MUST be present at every lesson observing said lesson.

The ratio of teachers to pupils would need to be very high.

I am uncertain what one could reasonably teach toddlers that age judo BUT there are young children who have grown into fine judoka so it is certainly possible even if this is the exception rather than the rule.

I cannot and would not even try to teach such a group. I lack the character for this and refuse to be a baby sitter. To me if a pupil is expecting to be taught judo in a judo club that individual should and must understand the basic psychology and understanding of stop and have a decent degree of self control. I am not the person to tolerate a toddler group, I am well aware this is a fault in my character but I cannot teach a group of children that age, I would go crazy in 10 minutes.

So far I have been of zero help to you and am unsure I can improve on that?Sad 

Children that age group vary so much in maturity it is impossible to write of a programme that fits all. Groups would need to be formed where the more able are catered for that is why the ratio of teacher pupil would have to be large.

Ne waza is an area that comes to mind. perhaps that would be an area to start. Like I said I don't agree with a dojo becoming a crèche so....again if pupils are on a tatami they are, for me, there to learn judo and not be occupied while wearing a dogi and playing games.

Randori in ne waza may be one area to work? Certainly keep the class to thirty minutes and no longer. Ask your family doctor for a prescription for valium and take at least 5mg before each lesson.

Very best wishes to you and yours my friend,

Mike

Jihef
    Jihef

Teaching judo basics to small children Empty Re: Teaching judo basics to small children

Post by Jihef Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:08 am

Hanon wrote:I am unsure if children of that tender age even belong in a dojo? I am going to get shot for writing this but it is how I feel and I should be transparent in my answers.
    Hello Mike, thanks for your post, this is a very good point.

There has been a "kids" judo class for ages in my Club. Demand is high from parents, and a few children (who have siblings doing judo), to take the small ones along.
    Plain common sense dictates that we simply cannot throw the six-years-olds in the main (bigger) kids class.
    So this particular class is focused on "baby" judo, meaning an introduction through (what I would call) a mix of psychomotricity games and a bit of newaza.

Hanon wrote:Before I even began to list some of the judo pedagogy I would have to mention further vital points. Teaching minors is a dangerous field today. Accusations can be made and considering judo is a full contact art with ne waza consisting of such waza as yoko shiho gatame, tate shiho gatame, kami shiho gatame....These waza, to an uninitiated parent, may appear odd and questions could be asked. What I am driving at is security in the area of child protection. I tend to turn this concept on its head these days and use the term teacher protection through prevention.
    Teaching or being responsible for toddlers needs very VERY careful consideration and planning. At all times should two female teacher be present on the tatami, as a minimum. I would go much further and insist that one parent or other legally responsible adult MUST be present at every lesson observing said lesson.

The ratio of teachers to pupils would need to be very high.
    The main instructor is a lady, has years of experience teaching juniors, and an assistant. I stepped in to help out, hence my questions.  

Hanon wrote:Ne waza is an area that comes to mind. perhaps that would be an area to start. Like I said I don't agree with a dojo becoming a crèche so....again if pupils are on a tatami they are, for me, there to learn judo and not be occupied while wearing a dogi and playing games.

Randori in ne waza may be one area to work?
    This is one of the things we do. You are right that we have to be very vigilant.

Thanks !
    J-F.
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:39 am

Hanon wrote: I am unsure if children of that tender age even belong in a dojo?
    I don't teach any children under 7, and even at 7 it can be challenging. Reasons for the limit are attention span, co-ordination and reaction to hurt.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Jihef wrote:Hello all,

Could the seasoned instructors here, please recommend (or link to) some texts about teaching the (pre-judo) basics to small children ( 5-6 years old ) ?

Other relevant (more general, maybe) information on this particular subject, or sound personal advice, would be very welcome.
    study

Cheers,
    J-F.
    Try this out for size. Judo Canada LTAD
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:Try this out for size. Judo Canada LTAD
    Thanks !!
    That is the kind of thing I had in mind. Will read tonight. Very Happy 

J-F.
    Yabanjames
    Yabanjames

Post by Yabanjames Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:22 pm

There is a fine DVD called 101 Judo Games, available from Fighting Films:
    http://www.fightingfilms.com/top/online_shop/dvds_videos/coaching/101_judo_games.html

I saw part of this a few years ago and recall that it had some good ideas for games involving judo-relevant skills for kids in several different age groups.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Yabanjames wrote:There is a fine DVD called 101 Judo Games, available from Fighting Films
    Thanks, I'll look for it.

J-F.
    Carlo
    Carlo

Post by Carlo Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:51 pm

Another DVD you can get some ideas from is 'Coaching Judo to Juniors', which is also from fighting films.

The DVD shows coaching ideas for different age groups.
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:27 am

I would suggest 7 as a minimum age for judo for children. Who cares what parents want - judo is low cost childcare for many I'm afraid.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Carlo wrote:Another DVD you can get some ideas from is 'Coaching Judo to Juniors', which is also from fighting films.

The DVD shows coaching ideas for different age groups.
    Thanks, will look for it also.

Jonesy wrote:I would suggest 7 as a minimum age for judo for children.  Who cares what parents want - judo is low cost childcare for many I'm afraid.
    Point taken. As a judoka and parent, though… I am not as adamant as you.
    Neutral 
    Jacob3
    Jacob3

Post by Jacob3 Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:16 am

Hi Jihef,

At my club, we too have groups for young children, from 4 years up! And at all our dependances, these groups ar quite well visited.

I can very much find myself in what Hanon sensei is writing. I too totally lack the capacity to keep these kids focussed. I take these classes over from time to time, in case of illness f.e. But I cant wait until it is over... I can go over one waza for hours with the seniors, so I don't really lack patience. But I am far too serious to train kids like that.

However, we have teachers who can really work wonders on them.

They are not attending Judo as a form of childcare or anything. Most indeed come because they have older brothers and/or sisters who practice Judo. And many others come because their schoolteacher or doctors advised their parents to do so.

I can really imagine why so many think that children that age might be too young. However, when you see them grow through classes, then one can really teach them a lot. It takes lots, and lots of patience and the right kind of personality. But when you do have those, it can work.

What those teachers at our club tend to do, is to have short periods ( a few minutes ) of 'serious' learning, and then clip those periods with games. Those games vary a bit, but mostly they are a version of 'tags' ( tikkertje ). For example, they practice a few turn-overs during the serious period. Then they start playing the game. A few of the kids are going to tag others. Those who are tagged, need to sit on their hands and knees. And when someone else performs a turnover on them, they are free to walk again. You can do this with throws aswel.

Regarding the danger for these kids, I must say that when I compare the older classes with these little kids,the danger for injuries for older kids is a LOT higher then on these little ones. In the first place they dont trow or squeeze that hard yet, and secondly, they are so very flexible, that they don't get hurt very easy.

Also, around here, there is not such a mentality ( yet ) that parents get upset whenever their child is touched. Everyone knows what Judo is here. In fact, I have never ever heard of any case in Holland, where teachers were sued by parents, other then teachers who really went too far ( molestation ). So I would not be worried about that, as long as you make sure you are never alone with any of the kids.

DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:46 am

Jacob3 wrote:Also, around here, there is not such a mentality ( yet ) that parents get upset whenever their child is touched. Everyone knows what Judo is here. In fact, I have never ever heard of any case in Holland, where teachers were sued by parents, other then teachers who really went too far ( molestation ). So I would not be worried about that, as long as you make sure you are never alone with any of the kids.
    I believe mindset is important. If one spends the class worrying about putting a hand in the wrong place or looking dodgy when doing the guard ... well, that's exactly how it will look. If one goes about teaching as a competent, professional and compassionate judo instructor ... that's exactly how it will look, too.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 pm

Jacob3 wrote:They are not attending Judo as a form of childcare or anything. Most indeed come because they have older brothers and/or sisters who practice Judo. And many others come because their schoolteacher or doctors advised their parents to do so.
    Same here.
    Last weekend, there was even a very little girl, about five, the "girly" type, in pink with pretty curls and all… She really wanted to come on the mats. No siblings or anything.
    Why ? I have no idea, but it exists. Very Happy 

Jacob3 wrote:Regarding the danger for these kids, I must say that when I compare the older classes with these little kids,the danger for injuries for older kids is a LOT higher then on these little ones. In the first place they dont trow or squeeze that hard yet, and secondly, they are so very flexible, that they don't get hurt very easy.
    I am not afraid about hurting the little ones. We mix light warmup, games and some newaza. No tachi waza yet, just some sweeps to de-ashi-barai.

DougNZ wrote:I believe mindset is important.  If one spends the class worrying about putting a hand in the wrong place or looking dodgy when doing the guard ... well, that's exactly how it will look.  If one goes about teaching as a competent, professional and compassionate judo instructor ... that's exactly how it will look, too.
    True. With the little ones, you tend to fix a lot of obi knots mostly.

J-F.
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:01 pm

In tonight's class, a new, young child made me think again of this thread. The girl in question is overly bubbly but then becomes very withdrawn when things aren't as she would like them. Tonight, I was subconsciously debating whether to keep encouraging her when she put her bottom lip out, or to leave her on the sideline so I could concentrate on all the other kids who were working well. Just when I decided the greater good was the way to go, I managed to get her to engage and all was well.

Parents often come to me asking to teach their kids discipline. These days I simply say, "You're the parent. Teaching your child discipline is your responsibility. We will have a lot of fun and make a lot of noise, and your child will benefit by gaining self confidence through the practice of judo." I love teaching judo to kids but there is an age below which frustration outweighs joy.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:16 pm

An interesting debate about Children’s Sports/Life Balance is available on the New York Times website.

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2013/10/10/childrens-sportslife-balance/sports-teach-kids-valuable-lessons

J-F.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am