E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

2 posters

Is this commonly known?

Q mystic
    Q mystic

Is this commonly known? Empty Is this commonly known?

Post by Q mystic Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:14 am

Just wondering if this is common knowledge. It isn't in my circles but wondering if it is among others. (it's an older article, 2006)

http://walrusmagazine.com/article.php?ref=2006.10-history-bombing-cambodia&page=

(basically, Clinton went to Cambodia in 99 and to help efforts in finding un-expoloded ordinance, he opened classified papers)

quoting some spots from the article here...

Bombs Over Cambodia

New information reveals that Cambodia was bombed far more heavily than previously believed

(it seems to me that everyone thought 500,000 tonnes were dropped, but really 2.5 million were.)

Is this commonly known? <a href=Is this commonly known? B-5210" />

US Air Force bombers like this B-52, shown releasing its payload over Vietnam, helped make Cambodia one of the most heavily bombed countries in history — perhaps the most heavily bombed.

Last edited by Q mystic on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Is this commonly known? Empty Re: Is this commonly known?

Post by Q mystic Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:16 am

Is this commonly known? Cambod10
    seatea
    seatea

Post by seatea Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:32 am

I suppose most people who are aware of this got that knowledge from the film 'The Killing Fields.

I knew that Cambodia had been bombed before I saw it, but didn't know the just how massive it had been, nor it's role in creating an opportunity for the Khmer Rouge to come to power.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:25 am

yeah, it's a pretty incredible stat.

Laos (right above Cambodia) is right up there with similar figures itself.

I really don't mean to sound anti-American. I'm a Canadian and can appreciate the security the U.S. has brought Canada, as well as that global chess is way over my head. I also understand how much the U.S. has done for Cambodia and Laos in immigration as well as support (HUGE), teaching my brother-in-law a trade for free where he can raise a family for instance.

It's just the fact that in all of WW2 the allies dropped near 2 million tonnes on Germany and Japan and, in this case, dropped 5 million tonnes on two of the poorest (and small) nations in the world, who weren't directly involved, 25 years after WW2, who lived in jungles. That's jungle (village) carpet/cluster bombing, zeke machine-gunning, napalming and agent oranging farmers crops.lol

The bigger picture just seems kind of disturbing.lol

My wife's younger cousin died from unexploded ordinance (bomb or mine, not sure) only a few years ago near the Thai, Laos, Cambodia border.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 pm