E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+14
idealab
afja_lm139
Ryvai
DrJudo
DougNZ
Ben Reinhardt
GregW
still learning
BillC
Quicksilver
Stacey
Cichorei Kano
jkw
samsmith2424
18 posters

How useful is uchikomi?

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

How useful is uchikomi? - Page 4 Empty Re: How useful is uchikomi?

Post by Ben Reinhardt Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:57 am

DrewFleming wrote:
    jkw wrote:
    samsmith2424 wrote:I wonder if anyone has any doubts about the usefulness of uchikomi. If so why?

I think if done properly it is useful, done badly - not so useful.

I agree.. uchikomi is usefull but only if its done properly.. you must break balance.

I think you can "break balance" in uchikomi and still do them "wrong".
    afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:44 am

As a 130-pounder back in the day whilst practicing in Japan/Okinawa some of us used uchikomi strictly for timing.  We smaller duded had to use very good timing and follow uke very closely to sneak in whilst uke did something we could take him of balance with. So, moving uchikomi was essential to learn just when to enter and execute.  Many of our uke was either smaller ort the same weight, to timing was very important against fast people.

During the many kohaku shiai, where all ranks would line up, I watched the more experienced small guys and they too would wait until an opponent stepped or leaned over wrongly, then do the dance to set up and throw a larger dude. It was necessary for we smaller dudes to throw a huge'r type.  I especially liked tani otoshi against someone huge.  Tani otoshi in uchikomi is a moving exercise and one must master it using that method.  At any tare, whilst batsugan some of my opponents were larger than me and my timing was very good, so I went on to satisfy the requirements for shodan with straight defeats.  

As I got older and fatter my timing when to poop! Smile
    afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Developing timing came from watching Mifune sensei demonstrate techniques for proper practice, uchikomi, etc.  He was not a large man, but very quick and would feel an opponent's every motion.  When someone moved Mefune sensei would place himself in the proper position and step in at just the right moment, then throw without apparent effort.  He never spoke much, just watching him was a learning lesson.  Several other experienced Judoka had the ability to place themselves in the right place at the right time and execute a technique without much apparent effort. very few in the States did have that ability. One forgets those techniques fairly quickly.

When I returned to the States only occasionally see such technique in timing and the way they did uchikomi over there.  I really never knew how to translate "uchikomi" into English, like many things learned in and around Japan, they only spoke in their tongue and that is the way many of us remember it. Then there was the problem of learning Okinawan!  It was different to say the least.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:21 am

afja_lm139 wrote:Developing timing came from watching Mifune sensei demonstrate techniques for proper practice, uchikomi, etc.  He was not a large man, but very quick and would feel an opponent's every motion.  When someone moved Mefune sensei would place himself in the proper position and step in at just the right moment, then throw without apparent effort.  He never spoke much, just watching him was a learning lesson.  Several other experienced Judoka had the ability to place themselves in the right place at the right time and execute a technique without much apparent effort. very few in the States did have that ability.  One forgets those techniques fairly quickly.

When I returned to the States only occasionally see such technique in timing and the way they did uchikomi over there.  I really never knew how to translate "uchikomi" into English, like many things learned in and around Japan, they only spoke in their tongue and that is the way many of us remember it. Then there was the problem of learning Okinawan!  It was different to say the least.

Thank you for the thoughtful and insightful posts! I think that they point in the direction of a better way of practicing judo than is now common. Timing, position,movement are all critical, and need to be practiced. Some people have a knack for it, the majority of us need focused practice.

afja_lm139
    afja_lm139

Post by afja_lm139 Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:31 am

Thank you Ben, it is nice to be appreciated sometimes. Only wish I could get out on the tatami and play like when I was younger. Oh well, another life perhaps.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am