E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
justcurious
medo
6 posters

Poor Mum!!!!

medo

Poor Mum!!!! Empty Poor Mum!!!!

Post by medo Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj90GrRtxiA

Thought it was a comedy at first  Laughing 
    justcurious

Poor Mum!!!! Empty Re: Poor Mum!!!!

Post by justcurious Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:52 pm

medo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj90GrRtxiA

Why would anyone wish to video something as embarrassing as this, let alone post it for all to see?
    medo

Post by medo Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:00 pm

justcurious wrote:
    medo wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj90GrRtxiA

Why would anyone wish to video something as embarrassing as this, let alone post it for all to see?

A minute of fame  Rolling Eyes  or in this case ten minutes of a brown belt showing a terrible Ukigoshi with her poor old mum as the stooge Shocked 
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:09 am

Dear lord??????? I have got 10 year old orange belts who can do better than that.
    Steve Leadbeater
    Steve Leadbeater

Post by Steve Leadbeater Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:53 pm

I'm sorry but that was a TERRIBLE attempt at O Goshi....
    nothing like Uki Goshi and Mum had the Jacket the wrong way round !!

I hope this is not a "Teaching Portion" of a Grading for Black Belt as it would be a FAIL......IMHO
    Creamy creamy baileys
    Creamy creamy baileys

Post by Creamy creamy baileys Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:10 pm

I have to admit that it wasn't the best technique in the world (let alone actually ukigoshi).

I'm willing to cut her some slack (she seemed *very* nervous, and I get the feeling this was for some kind of assignment). I'm also aware that there exists a huge variability in what an x belt might know / be able to explain / do themselves. Some orange belts are closer to brown belt level, some brown belts should probably go back to yellow belt. Even within techniques, a legitimate brown belt may only have (say) tomoe nage down to yellow belt level, a green belt level uchimata, a black belt ippon seoinage etc.

Unfortunately, variability exists between ranks (despite efforts by NGB to standardize what x level belt should be able to do / show).

IOW, this probably wasn't her best day ever. OTOH, it demonstrates a certain lack of self awareness to put something like this online as teaching material; perhaps there's more to the story here.

jkw

Post by jkw Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:45 am

Creamy creamy baileys wrote:I have to admit that it wasn't the best technique in the world (let alone actually ukigoshi).

I'm willing to cut her some slack (she seemed *very* nervous, and I get the feeling this was for some kind of assignment). I'm also aware that there exists a huge variability in what an x belt might know / be able to explain / do themselves. Some orange belts are closer to brown belt level, some brown belts should probably go back to yellow belt. Even within techniques, a legitimate brown belt may only have (say) tomoe nage down to yellow belt level, a green belt level uchimata, a black belt ippon seoinage etc.

Unfortunately, variability exists between ranks (despite efforts by NGB to standardize what x level belt should be able to do / show).

IOW, this probably wasn't her best day ever. OTOH, it demonstrates a certain lack of self awareness to put something like this online as teaching material; perhaps there's more to the story here.

I think the bigger issue vis-a-vis this thread is that the person featured in the video clip did not post it to this forum, nor did they ask for feedback or criticism. There is some argument that - as it is on youtube - it lies within the public domain. However, not all internet users have a complete understanding of how content can migrate to radically different contexts. Furthermore, the person in the clip is not a 'known' or public figure in judo as far as I am aware.

I wonder how they would feel if they discovered the criticism that has been posted here? Particularly some of the more disparaging comments. Or, if people saw this demonstration in real life, whether they would hold their tongues for the sake of politeness. Ultimately, I don't believe much positive is achieved by this thread.
    Creamy creamy baileys
    Creamy creamy baileys

Post by Creamy creamy baileys Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:15 am

Right - I more or less agree. I actually though "what might I say if I had been there in person"? Probably something like "actually, that's more of an ogoshi..." and leave it at that.

medo

Post by medo Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:46 am

jkw wrote:
    Creamy creamy baileys wrote:I have to admit that it wasn't the best technique in the world (let alone actually ukigoshi).

I think the bigger issue vis-a-vis this thread is that the person featured in the video clip did not post it to this forum, nor did they ask for feedback or criticism. There is some argument that - as it is on youtube - it lies within the public domain. However, not all internet users have a complete understanding of how content can migrate to radically different contexts. Furthermore, the person in the clip is not a 'known' or public figure in judo as far as I am aware.

I wonder how they would feel if they discovered the criticism that has been posted here? Particularly some of the more disparaging comments. Or, if people saw this demonstration in real life, whether they would hold their tongues for the sake of politeness. Ultimately, I don't believe much positive is achieved by this thread.

When I posted this it did not come to mind that it could be a grading submittal. Is this a way of assessing grades in America?

I have done many videos over the years for my pupils sports GCSE, but it was me behind the camera on the mat and what was sent was better than the grade rapped around their waist.

If this was for dan grade promotion then the instructor of the lady doing the demo should hold his head in shame.

The positive is that this may be a bad example and one should learn from it.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 am

Surely if this was for a grade it would and should have been done on a tatami? Also why would it be on youtube?
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:01 am

When was the last time any of you taught judo by your front door?
    The lady states she is a brown belt. The video is listed as an instruction for uki goshi.
    Any way some of you guys want to cut it , it is still a very bad demo.
    Also the lady has tagged her name on the comments section of youtube, so she knows it is part of the public domain, and we all know what happens when a video is posted on the wonderful world wide web.
    If you are going to post an instructional, at least have an idea of what you are going to teach.
    If she is a brown belt, then she is obviously helping to coach lower grades/children at wherever she practises. Teaching a poorly taught technique to someone who does not know any better will result in that person doing something wrong for many years until corrected.

Sorry if my remarks offend anyone, but this is the problem with youtube.
    90% crap and 10% gold.

In her defence though I will say that she has a lot of guts in posting the video, or allowing it to be posted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:33 pm