E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

What would you have done different to make your Judo work?

Ricebale
    Ricebale

What would you have done different to make your Judo work? Empty What would you have done different to make your Judo work?

Post by Ricebale Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:13 pm

Hey All,

Here is a clip from the TUF whereby an Australian Olympic Judoka who has had 7 MMA fights gets his arse handed to him by IMO low level wrestling, he was clueless against a high school level rear waist hold.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/tv/TUF_Nations_Canada_vs_Australia_Episode_6_Part_4/10062624

Any advice I can pass onto other Judoka from this is welcome.

I'll take it as already noted that MMA is evil etc, more interested in the technical aspects.

Cheers
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

What would you have done different to make your Judo work? Empty Re: What would you have done different to make your Judo work?

Post by Q mystic Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:18 am

Awesome (kinda. lol). Thanks for the vid.

Looks like Westcott could end up fighting another judoka, and fellow Canadian, Luke Harris.
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

What would you have done different to make your Judo work? Empty Re: What would you have done different to make your Judo work?

Post by afulldeck Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:54 am

That was an unfortunate fight for him. I was hoping to see more judo in that fight. He seemed to be off balance due to the aggressive attack and the speed of the Canadian attacker, plus the Canadian was a south paw. I hope he get another chance to succeed. However, a few thoughts to consider:

a) lose the bent over wrestling style arms over head posture
    b) more up right posture with hands at eyebrow level
    c) Jab and return the hands to guard (he keeps both left and right at full extension allowing the Canadian easy access to upper cut)
    d) Engage the foot work for a south paw attacker (he attempts to circle away only after his back is on the cage, but he allows the Canadian to control the foot work)
    e) @4:50 He needed to get underhooks instead of the overhook, (I realize he was attempting to get the head and arm, but the Canadian was much lower, and easily spun around him). Always, always underhooks.
    f) @4:45 just before he is ura nage, he need to do a knee entanglement to prevent it.
    g) Don't stand up until the grips are cleared.
    h) Grab and elbow and sit out of turtle.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:05 am

Cheers, good observations. It seemed like he was turning up to a judo match not a fight. I've seen the Judo guyvhere fight before and was wondering how he'd handle an aggressive wrestler style.

This is what usually happens to the Judo guys in my wrestling class so I'll use your notes above as a guide, I'm always struggling to get them to defend the duck unders and body locks, it takes about 3 months for them to recognise the danger in the set ups.
    Q mystic
    Q mystic

Post by Q mystic Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:04 pm

I don't think that stuff can be taught really. I mean, how often are you going to teach a judoka to stop a wrestler at the corner? In mma maybe, and I suppose that's what you are asking.lol Then we have the age old 'do their sport that you are training'...which would assumed to be that the wrestlers don't do shots.lol

If we are talking judo vs wrestling, it is still always going to come down to the human and their personal concept.

The base point is that with a wrestler you want to square shoulders. Ironic, I know. It'll typically be a shot that the judoka won't be able to handle, but if he does...
    there are few judoka, it seems, that can teach the wrestling concept along with judo, and why would they?
    Simple, very simple fact here is that judoka hasn't tussled enough wrestlers. Or scrappers; either or. Lets say cross-training.
    Seems clearly proven that judoka did not isolate the arm, even when he did have control. That's stress.

Do the human, and do your judo, and fight others that you might fight. Angle on that is huge ammy boxing.

Quick cut is fella went lower than judoka could cope with. Sucked to be him but he could cut that short a hell of a lot quicker than he could learn to deal with a strike. LMFAO.

He's fine, tho. 1 year ammy boxing straight up at 8 hrs/wk. 4 hrs grappling with wide comp, wrestlers, that is. And 1 time/week judo to keep zone reflex.

REeally, just needs to learn to box. Ammy of course. Especially since he's older. It'll be slow, but he's smarter than he prolly thinks. 1 year.

judoka, albeit getting smoked early, didn't do bad imo.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:17 pm

Ricebale wrote:Hey All,

Here is a clip from the TUF whereby an Australian Olympic Judoka who has had 7 MMA fights gets his arse handed to him by IMO low level wrestling, he was clueless against a high school level rear waist hold.

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/tv/TUF_Nations_Canada_vs_Australia_Episode_6_Part_4/10062624

Any advice I can pass onto other Judoka from this is welcome.

I'll take it as already noted that MMA is evil etc, more interested in the technical aspects.

Cheers

This video does not exist is the message I get...

If you want to do MMA successfully, then find a good MMA coach who can work with the talents you have and integrate them with what is needed in MMA.

I would say as well, go and train some wrestling to get familiar with what wrestlers do. It's fun, I've done it, and educational as well.

Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:24 pm

Q mystic wrote:I don't think that stuff can be taught really. I mean, how often are you going to teach a judoka to stop a wrestler at the corner? In mma maybe, and I suppose that's what you are asking.lol Then we have the age old 'do their sport that you are training'...which would assumed to be that the wrestlers don't do shots.lol

If we are talking judo vs wrestling, it is still always going to come down to the human and their personal concept.

The base point is that with a wrestler you want to square shoulders. Ironic, I know. It'll typically be a shot that the judoka won't be able to handle, but if he does...
    there are few judoka, it seems, that can teach the wrestling concept along with judo, and why would they?
    Simple, very simple fact here is that judoka hasn't tussled enough wrestlers. Or scrappers; either or. Lets say cross-training.
    Seems clearly proven that judoka did not isolate the arm, even when he did have control. That's stress.

Do the human, and do your judo, and fight others that you might fight. Angle on that is huge ammy boxing.

Quick cut is fella went lower than judoka could cope with. Sucked to be him but he could cut that short a hell of a lot quicker than he could learn to deal with a strike. LMFAO.

He's fine, tho. 1 year ammy boxing straight up at 8 hrs/wk. 4 hrs grappling with wide comp, wrestlers, that is. And 1 time/week judo to keep zone reflex.

REeally, just needs to learn to box. Ammy of course. Especially since he's older. It'll be slow, but he's smarter than he prolly thinks. 1 year.

judoka, albeit getting smoked early, didn't do bad imo.

I'm still trying to imagine having a conversation with you in person.

Wrestling concepts and judo concepts are not different conceptually speaking in a holistic, big picture view not under stress. One wears pajamas, the other tights, although tights work as pajamas, but not the converse,unless they are tights to begin with. Just teach the wrestler to stand in an offset stance and he will smoke any judoka who has done amateur boxing for a year (more or less). Unless the judoka is older and the wrestler is in high school, in which case, it will take two years of ammy boxing for the judoka to prevail. However, if the judoka doesn't do what he knows how to do from birth, after all, if he is a judoka, he is destined to be a judoka, so knows how to isolate an arm automatically, under stress, then another year of huge ammy boxing is necessary, obviously.

Did I miss anything?

Gus

Post by Gus Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:16 am

I would - practise without a gi against wrestlers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:32 pm