E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
Cichorei Kano
Jonesy
6 posters

Ju-no-kata rendition at the 2014 All Japan Judo Championships

Jonesy
    Jonesy

Ju-no-kata rendition at the 2014 All Japan Judo Championships Empty Ju-no-kata rendition at the 2014 All Japan Judo Championships

Post by Jonesy Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Ju-no-kata rendition at the 2014 All Japan Judo Championships Empty Re: Ju-no-kata rendition at the 2014 All Japan Judo Championships

Post by Cichorei Kano Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:46 pm

Thanks, Jonesy.

Isn't this available in higher resolution ? It's a pity we can't see the jûdôka's faces, but the hairdo of the tori suggests to me that this is my friend Yokoyama Etsuko. I don't know if it is Omori Chigusa, her usual partner as uke, but if so, then I need to congratulate her since it means that she too then has been promoted to rokudan.
    wdax

Ju-no-kata rendition at the 2014 All Japan Judo Championships Empty Re: Ju-no-kata rendition at the 2014 All Japan Judo Championships

Post by wdax Thu May 01, 2014 4:30 am

Cichorei Kano wrote:(...) the hairdo of the tori suggests to me that this is my friend Yokoyama Etsuko. I don't know if it is Omori Chigusa.

It is Yokoyama Etsuko and Omori Chigusa for sure. Everybody has his/her own typical movements. I recognize every little bit of them in the clip.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Thu May 01, 2014 6:25 am

Wdax is right. I was there.

The program also has a long, intersting article by Murata Naoki sensei of the Kodokan on the history of Yamashita sensei in the US, early 1900's.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Thu May 01, 2014 7:30 am

Sure, but my point is that people who do not have an intimate knowledge of these performers won't know since they can't properly see the face and the names are not depicted, and that is simply something I regret. That's all.
    Kuden

Ju-no-kata rendition at the 2014 All Japan Judo Championships Empty This could happen to anyone ...

Post by Kuden Sat May 03, 2014 2:02 am

No need to cry for them ... as I`m sure they`ll try to be back to Malaga this year.
    Lurker

Post by Lurker Sat May 03, 2014 2:12 am

Much clearer rendition here:

They had a rough day here. Hey it happens!
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sat May 03, 2014 2:46 am

Lurker wrote:Much clearer rendition here:

Ah yes, much crisper !  Thanks for posting this !
    Kuden

Post by Kuden Sat May 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Overall they were not as good as usual, Yokoyama in 3Ryotedori, 4Katamawashi, Omori in 3Tsukiage. Omori obviously was absent-minded in Uchioroshi, and as far as I see the video the first person who seemingly uttered "Ah" was Chairman of the Kata Committee. He sent a signal to AJJF PR Manager next to him who was not aware yet. In 2 to 3 seconds, Kodokan Kancho Uemura looked "Oh, my God!".

What happened ... In Uchioroshi Omori instead of making a fist and trying to hit Yokoyama, she thrusted her right fingers in Tegatana, aiming to poke into Tori`s eyes. Tori stumbled for a moment not knowing what happened but immediately realised Uke was trying to do Ryogan-Tsuki. The rest was handled tactfully. Uchioroshi was skipped!

It takes time but I`m sure they`ll be back for Malaga ... case closed!
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Sat May 03, 2014 7:35 pm

Very good analysis Kuden - thank you sensei.

Most or the dignitaries looked disinterested - reading their programmes, looking the other way, chatting, asleep?

Who is the Chair of the Kata Committee these days?
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Sun May 04, 2014 5:16 am

Jonesy wrote:

Most or the dignitaries looked disinterested - reading their programmes, looking the other way, chatting, asleep?

I think you point out an important problem. This is also a huge problem during kata competitions.

If one approaches kata as an demonstration of an aesthetic performance art, then people performing kata deserve respect, and that respect comes in the first place by the audience behaving respectful. You don't go watch the Royal Ballet while chatting, walking around, etc.

I have no idea why it is so difficult for anybody present during kata demonstrations to just sit on their butt and shut their mouth. Especially for kata outside of the randori-no-kata the atmosphere should be one of serenity. It's already bad enough that kata has to be done in a sports hall accommodation rather than in a dôjô. That effect too is comparable between ballet done in a proper theater (let's say the Bolshoi or Royal Opera House or proper Symphony Hall) or to it in the middle of a soccer stadium or velodrome. If the audience does not have the responsibility and accountability to assume a serene attitude themselves, then it should be enforced by accommodation and rules.

I have recordings of Ôsawa-sensei performing for the last time itsutsu-no-kata during the All Japan Championships, then still 'only' a 9th dan. It was awful. Most people weren't even looking and the TV camera's didn't even bother to tape everything and at times where just showing the audience rather than what was going on on the tatami. Kanô was trying to educate people, and yet most people can't simply respectfully watch and listen to others while they are lecturing, demonstrating, teaching, showing their skill. Dreadful, absolutely dreadful.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Sun May 04, 2014 11:45 pm

I find spectators in Japan are very respecful whenever there is a kata demo, unlike many countries. They were very quiet during the two kata I saw at the All Japan (there were three).

They are not always attentive.

NBK
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Mon May 05, 2014 12:03 am

Agree polite quietness is always there - attention is not.
    Cichorei Kano
    Cichorei Kano

Post by Cichorei Kano Mon May 05, 2014 12:13 am

'Usually', not 'always'. In the Ôsawa demonstration it was absolutely dreadful. I'll show it to you guys next time we meet.
    NBK
    NBK

Post by NBK Mon May 05, 2014 7:52 am

The kata are v seldom televised. The timing is perfect for a TV recap of the bouts leadin up to the semi- or finals, commercials, etc. and that's what is televised.

I took a college classmate who just moved to Japan and has never seen judo. After a morning of watching all out judo he said without an explanation the kata would seem like something from another planet. ( He saw Ju and Itsutsu no kata).

It is like the halftime show in a US high school football or college game - important only to the band, cheerleaders, and their parents. The football fans couldn't care less, it's time to secure more beer.

NBK

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:59 pm