E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Training for Beginners

hobit

Training for Beginners Empty Training for Beginners

Post by hobit Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:58 am

I am 37yr old Cyclist who has started Judo. Currently a Red belt and been attending for 6 mths but i am struggling to complete 2sessions a week. In particular my Lower back really suffers. Any advice on strength work or relaxing my arms.
    Davaro
    Davaro

Training for Beginners Empty Re: Training for Beginners

Post by Davaro Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:23 am

Welcome!

Red belt? Already? some talent there Smile

I would suggest seeing someone about the lower back rather than first worrying about strengthening it? May be you have a problem? I don't see how a cyclist should have back issues just from Judo.

On relaxing your arms, just consciously work on it. There is no quick fix. The most important thing is that you have realised this is an issue for you only 6 months in, and that is a positive start to getting this very common bad habit behind you. Your overall "stiffness" may also be contributing to your back-ache now that I think of it.

Have fun!
    hobit

Post by hobit Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:34 am

The back issues is from over working the muscles and then struggling i a 2nd weekly session. Stretching keeps backache away. but i feel something is wrong maybe resisting when i should be relaxing or i am weak in the core.
    JudoStu
    JudoStu

Post by JudoStu Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:54 am

hobit wrote:The back issues is from over working the muscles and then struggling i a 2nd weekly session. Stretching keeps backache away. but i feel something is wrong maybe resisting when i should be relaxing or i am weak in the core.

How tall are you? I ask as maybe you are being pulled in to a bent over position in randori, which could then make your back stiff and cause you to stiffen your arms as you try and break free of your opponent.
    hobit

Post by hobit Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:04 am

I am 167cm/ 5'4" tall and 77kg 11st 10lb but all the strength is in the legs.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:03 pm

first and foremost - check with your physician. Make sure you don't have a problem that's just going to get worse by doing judo.

Then, make sure you keep stretching. If you need to, when you feel your back tightening up in practice, stop, go to the side, and roll it out, and stretch it out.

Make sure you're falling right. Have an upper rank/instructor/sensei look at your falls and let that person know what's happening so they can attend to any stresses, even subtle stresses you're putting on that area of your back.

Then, do the same thing with your throws. If you're not using your legs for your throws, or going in a bit off, it can cause problems.

When doing randori, have your partners help you with relaxation. Have them tell you when you're starting to tense up, and then consciously relax. Stretch your back when you feel it and take a deep breath.

But, above all, get checked by your doc first.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:45 pm