E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+3
Emanuele2
seatea
justcurious
7 posters

BJJ instructor qualifications

justcurious

BJJ instructor qualifications Empty BJJ instructor qualifications

Post by justcurious Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:33 pm

I have 2 questions: (1) Does anyone know whether there are formal instructor qualifications in BJJ. (2) Is someone with a BJJ purple belt qualified to teach BJJ?
    seatea
    seatea

BJJ instructor qualifications Empty Re: BJJ instructor qualifications

Post by seatea Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:49 am

justcurious wrote:I have 2 questions: (1) Does anyone know whether there are formal instructor qualifications in BJJ.

No.

(2) Is someone with a BJJ purple belt qualified to teach BJJ?

Possibly. A purple belt (assuming they got their grade legitimately) should have plenty of knowledge and skill. However, the ability to teach is another skill entirely.
    Emanuele2

Post by Emanuele2 Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:05 am

Here in Italy there were a purple belt who taught bjj. Now he is a brown belt.
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:35 am

I was at an orthopod's office. Office sported a "team" photo of a bjj club. Instructor was a blue belt and everybody else was wearing white. Yeah, I was impressed.
    beyondgrappling

Post by beyondgrappling Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:56 pm

justcurious wrote:I have 2 questions: (1) Does anyone know whether there are formal instructor qualifications in BJJ. (2) Is someone with a BJJ purple belt qualified to teach BJJ?

I have a purple and teach bjj....
    PointyShinyBurning

Post by PointyShinyBurning Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:09 pm

justcurious wrote:I have 2 questions: (1) Does anyone know whether there are formal instructor qualifications in BJJ.
    Some associations have them, but it's not very common. Usually rank is taken as qualification by itself.
    justcurious wrote:(2) Is someone with a BJJ purple belt qualified to teach BJJ?
    A purple in BJJ, in the UK at least, is loosely time/skill-equivalent to a Judo Shodan. Speaking as a purple I'd be confident in teaching beginners or a mixed-ability class, but not coaching a serious competition team or heading up a school without the input of higher ranks.

You mileage may vary because of the social/arbitrary nature of BJJ promotion, there's the occasional guy wandering around whose been a purple forever and is an amazing fighter and/or coach.
    Mr_Michael_or_Mike

Post by Mr_Michael_or_Mike Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:18 am

Here is what a classical fencing (non sport/electric) fencing program required of it's instructors. I wonder how many BJJ, or Judo programs have similar requirements for teaching? I'm sure this could be adapted for Judo and, BJJ. Going through such a system would probably make for better instructors. What do you think?      

http://classicalacademyofarms.org/ranks.html

The Classical Fencing Instructor Program is designed as a four level instructional program, with the core material for each level being designed to be completed in one year. The levels and associated requirements are:

1. Classical Fencing DEMONSTRATOR

(a) with a focus on teaching group lessons at the introductory level and the use of structured exercises to develop student movement skills and confidence
    (b) capable in the foil
    (c) requires teaching a minimum of 35 lessons of which at least 25 must be group lessons - all lessons documented with lesson plans
    (d) requires satisfactory completion of the online course with a passing score on the written examination
    (e) requires a satisfactory completion of a practical demonstration of a group lesson, an introductory individual lesson, and a skill demonstration, all submitted as video on DVD
    (f) demonstrate the ability to serve as a judge in a classical fencing bout

2. Classical Fencing INSTRUCTOR

(a) with a focus on teaching more advanced group lessons and the use of drills, including eyes closed drills, to teach skills with the weapon
    (b) demonstrate teaching competence in one weapon in a practical demonstration of an individual lesson, submitted as video on DVD
    (c) requires teaching a minimum of 100 lessons of which at least 50 must be group lessons - all lessons documented with lesson plans
    (d) requires satisfactory completion of the online course with a passing score on the written examination
    (e) requires a satisfactory completion of an oral examination
    (f) demonstrate the ability to serve as the president of a Jury in a classical fencing bout, submitted as video on DVD

3. Classical Fencing PROVOST

(a) with a focus on the use of structured assaults to teach bout skills and the delivery of technical individual lessons
    (b) demonstrate teaching competence in a second weapon in a practical demonstration of an individual lesson, submitted as video on DVD
    (c) requires teaching a minimum of 200 lessons of which at least 75 must have been in the second weapon - all lessons documented with lesson plans
    (f) prepare a research paper addressing an issue of significance in the teaching of classical fencing
    (g) requires a detailed self-assessment and student assessments of individual teaching and fencing skills
    (h) demonstrate the ability to serve as the member of the bout committee for a classical fencing tournament

4. Classical Fencing MASTER

(a) with a focus on the use of free play assaults as teaching tools, and the delivery of individual lessons involving tactical choices for students
    (b) demonstrate teaching competence in the third weapon in a practical demonstration of an individual lesson, submitted as video on DVD
    (c) requires teaching a minimum of 300 lessons of which at least 75 must have been in each weapon
    - all lessons documented with lesson plans
    (f) prepare a thesis based on original research addressing an issue of significance to classical fencing
    (g) requires a detailed self-assessment and student assessments of individual teaching and fencing skills

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am