E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

5 posters

Barbarians Guide to Judo

Ricebale
    Ricebale

Barbarians Guide to Judo Empty Barbarians Guide to Judo

Post by Ricebale Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:18 am

I've entered my wtestlers and Sambists into a Judo comp this weekend, for your amusement and discourse I've included my explaination tonight to them of thejpoints system. The hosting Judo club has been kind enough to allow leg touches, enjoy my barbarians gyide to Judo:

I'll post the comp result vid for the purpose of Judo discussion, it should be an viewing with some odd technical applications
    DougNZ

Barbarians Guide to Judo Empty Re: Barbarians Guide to Judo

Post by DougNZ Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:03 am

Love the pairing of top and pants. What would you call those pants: ash, slate, beige, seal, stone?
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:10 am

DougNZ wrote:Love the pairing of top and pants.  What would you call those pants: ash, slate, beige, seal, stone?

warm Smile
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:24 am

Ricebale wrote:
    DougNZ wrote:Love the pairing of top and pants.  What would you call those pants: ash, slate, beige, seal, stone?

warm Smile

Well, at least you are wearing some.  thumbs thumbup1 thumbs 
    medo

Post by medo Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:01 am

What's a washing machine please?

Now there's a mismatch that should never be for safety reasons.
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:29 am

medo wrote:

What's a washing machine please?

Now there's a mismatch that should never be for safety reasons.

didn't realise the vids were public, thought I had them as private, ha! The judo club made the draws, the bigger child is my daughter and I told her to go easy. She did well for her first comp, 3 wins and 1 draw to come second overall.

Washing machine is a verbal queue I use for kids to understand kazushi, think in the old style washing machines where the clothes are spun one way then jerked the opposite, this image helps a child to understand ja c ket control.

I was uploading about 42 vids in total and was using the competition of my novice guys against the Judo vlub novice guys.

I made the following observation of the contest between the Sambo and Judo clubs:

1. The physicalities were roughly equal on balance
    2. The Sambo system trained athletes seemed more aggressive in their attacks and prefered level changes to come in tight or try to effect their throws
    3. The Judoka seemed to prefer longer range grips and circular footwork to effect their throws
    4. The Sambists were superior at direct leg attacks and any throw that had a body to side or pick up motion
    5. The Judoka were superior with long range grip control and footsweeps
    6. Posture vs kazushi attacks seemed to be on par
    7. Athletes from both clubs seemed to play well together and enjoyed the technical challenge of facing a very different type of adversary
    8. The standard postures anf grips between the two arts are very different

I fielded 6 adults who achieved more victories than losses, 2 of guys fought in 3 different divisions and either got gold or silver. Of the 6 adults 4 medalled and in the 2 divs where I had more than 1 they took both gold and silver.

But most of there has been a bond of mutual respect achieved between the clubs and a willingness to participate in future friendly exchanges.

cheers
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Barbarians Guide to Judo Empty This is for Judo people to see Sambo attacks in a Judo comp

Post by Ricebale Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:39 pm

I've just got back from from a family holiday and though I'd put up some analysis. Please feel free to peruse but keep in mind these are all kyu level guys (and Sambo equivalents), action is fast enough to watch but the techniques will improve over time.

Firstly, thanks medo for posting that kids match above but it does show how petty Judoka are, see the comment section below the vid for the "any excuse" theory lol

These vids are interesting because it places people who ahem trained in Judo only against people who trained in Sambo only, this is a very rare occurrence in this day and age. See my extended commentary in the above post for my tactical assessments. My club has to work on footsweep awareness for sure.

See these vids below for a young guy from my club in the u90 div, he prefers lifting throws style so was closer to his Judo opponents

Win by Pin

Reverse Hip throw Ippon at 2:26

Below ere he loses his match in the open division due to overthrowing the wrong way and getting pinned, his opponent had really good pins

Below here he loses to a choke despite being the better wrestler, which if you watch the vid is my fault as I told him to relax and he done, this was a good learning experience.

See this video below of two young 74kg guys tussling, they have similar physicalities but very different tactical approaches, the tactical interplay (my guy here only lost a club mate)

Here's another older guy u66kg who wanted to have a go in a comp and won a couple of matches, I note my club was very good at the torque of the chest to counter the standard throw motions

Here was the last of my guys in a match at 66kg, I note the attempts at Tomoe Nage by the Judoka seemed instinctual but ineffective at this stage

And finally two of my guys going for Gold/Silver against each other, suplex win

Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:54 pm

Good to see the friendly mods burring this thread in the Sambo section even though it's a Judo comp discussion

Ah well then, enjoy me knee barring a Shodan Judoka today at a Sambo comp

Cheers
    Ricebale
    Ricebale

Post by Ricebale Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Here's another short compilation of one if my guys tossing around a Judo dude under Sambo rules, still a young guy and having a ball.
    TheLatinSamurai
    TheLatinSamurai

Post by TheLatinSamurai Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:37 am

Australia seems awesome I wish they would have competitions like this in Canada .
    afulldeck
    afulldeck

Post by afulldeck Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:34 am

TheLatinSamurai wrote:Australia seems awesome I wish they would have competitions like this in Canada .

Touch base with Tina Takahashi (Ottawa) she has sambo players in her club. They often have tournaments.

http://tinatak.com
    TheLatinSamurai
    TheLatinSamurai

Post by TheLatinSamurai Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:08 am

Thank you , Sambo is still getting it's footing in Canada , but the Takahshi's are doing a good job in developing it in Canada . The Canadian Sambo President Sean MacFayden ( Tina's husband I believe ) has actuallt teamed up with the ASA and various Catch-wreslting associations to produce a Freestyle Sambo/ Catch wrestling tournament in Montreal . But this has been the first competition on Canadian soil for a while since 2013 I think . But I think they are doing a good job . By the way I hope I didn't sound rude at all what I meant by my post was regular competition and cross training .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 am