E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Just broke the fibula in my right leg....

judochop48
    judochop48

Just broke the fibula in my right leg.... Empty Just broke the fibula in my right leg....

Post by judochop48 Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:45 pm

And turned my knee out of socket.I will be going back to the Doctor this morning to find out if I will need surgery,and if there is acl damage.I was throwing an opponent with ashi guru a during randori,and half way through the throw lost my balance forward,causing the ankle and knee to roll while my opponent,s full body weight landed directly on the leg...am sitting home now waiting to go to my follow up appt.Question is,at 50 years old,is this spell the end of my judo career?It was a really bad accident,and I will be out of judo for sometime.The worst part is,after 5 years of training and competing,I have actually gotten pretty good at throwing and Newaza,and hate the thought of giving up,but my wife is pretty angry and insists that I quit randori/Shiai.I can still coach and ref,but the only thing Inreally love is competing and randori...anyone else been there done this?
    BillC
    BillC

Just broke the fibula in my right leg.... Empty Re: Just broke the fibula in my right leg....

Post by BillC Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:51 pm

BillC
    BillC

Just broke the fibula in my right leg.... Empty Re: Just broke the fibula in my right leg....

Post by BillC Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:55 pm

or maybe for your spouse ... http://vimeo.com/14098878
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:59 pm

Six weeks out ... six months of rehab.

Take the time to learn the gentle art in those six months ... ju no kata is worthwhile ... katame no kata depends on which knee and how bad. Back away from the table and shed a few pounds.

You'll gain more confidence, and when you come back you won't be tempted to rely on beast mode ... which will put you back in the ER.

Good luck!
    Stacey
    Stacey

Post by Stacey Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:49 pm

having broken my right fibula, you can learn a lot of kateme no kata with a cast on.

As for "ending your judo career" - if you want to end it, this is a good excuse. If you don't want to end it, you'll heal, rehab, learn, and adapt, just like the rest of us middle aged type people.
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

Post by Y-Chromosome Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:10 am

I broke my right fibula two years ago at age 48. I made a full recover and subsequently passed my 3rd dan exam which involved Nage no kata as both Tori and Uke, Katame no Kata and practicing every single throw legal and illegal in the Judo textbook.
    It all depends on how serious the injuries are but I wouldn't throw out my gi just yet if I were you.
    Follow doctors orders and treat your physio instructions like orders from the National Team Coach.
    Mine involved lengthy periods of balancing on one foot while standing on an inflated bladder. Hurt like **** but turns out to be worthwhile.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:27 pm