E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

4 posters

Points for judo practice in traditional way

noboru
    noboru

Points for judo practice in  traditional way Empty Points for judo practice in traditional way

Post by noboru Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:01 am

In the last months I try to search the advices from more sources for my own judo developing in traditional way. I found more interesting informations in books, texts, websites of Kodokan, Kano Society, judoinfo, this forum and Budo Charter, interviews with some judokas and kendokas, etc.. I tried collect the set of points and below is the result.
    I have to tell, that I am not able implement all them in this time... Please have in mind that it is the points only as result of my research. They are not my advices for you, but they are advices from other people and I found them interesting for me.
    May be it could be interesting for you too. The discussion about these points in forum could have any benefits or interesting results for us all and may help you too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    GENERAL POINTS:
    - Study of Judo (japanese terminology, etiquette, waza from Gokyo)
    - Practice of Judo (Randori, Kata, Shiai, if is possible go to Kangeiko, Gasshuku)
    - Go through Shiai and Gradings in every time if you can. Do it without thinking about success before. Shiai and exams are good experience for own self developing.
    - search your judo teacher

POINTS FOR PRACTICE INSIDE DOJO:
    -------------------------------------
    POINTS FOR KEIKÓ (Training)
    - practitioners must maintain discipline, and show proper courtesies and respect to others (Reigi, Rei)
    - make all for safety your uke
    - practice both Randori and Kata
    - train hard, temper your body and mind, allways try to finish keiko (build stronger and healthy body, modest and resistant mind, nice own character )
    - do not show your weaknees or exhaustion during keiko, try to control self and hide them (for example: not be lying down between each randori - stay or sit to seiza is better, in seiza you have few suki)
    - search in waza practice the ways how use own energy in the most efective, implementing Seiryoku-Zenyo: maximum efficient use of energy (it contains Ju no ri too)
    - search and apply judo waza meaning for selfdefence (study Kime no kata, Kodokan Goshin jutsu and other)
    - know and implement own role in randori, implementing Jita Kyoei in randori keikó:
       1. Practicing with opponents of a higher standard
       You should try your own techniques with full strength for improvement of skill, and should not consider defense. Defense towards the opponent should be with only tai sabaki or body management, but you should not mind being thrown if the skill of the opponent exceeds your defense.
       2. Practicing with opponents of an equal standard
       You should try your own skill and strength as much as you can.
       3. Practicing with opponents of a lower standard
       You should bear in mind the principle of techniques and try to throw the opponent with reasonable and suitable techniques. You should also give the opponent enough opportunities to try techniques so that the opponent can improve as well.
       Moreover, when you practice with a teacher, you should be careful to learn the principles of techniques without excessive defense and do this relentlessly because you are learning for your own improvement.
       When you practice with children, you should be careful to give them the chance to use the techniques they know and accept being thrown if the technique is applied with proper timing so that children can improve their skills in the future.

- in randori too:
      - use upright posture than defence posture, have the idea about possible atemi attack from opponnent in own mind
      - prefer attack before defence
      - prefer using judo technique before strenght
      - develop own zanshin state
     - do not turn your back to opponent, look at him allways
      - prefer wearing of pure and clean white judogi before other colors

POINTS FOR SHIAI (Competition):
    - Whether competing in a match or doing set forms (kata), exponents must externalise the spirit underlying . They must do their best at all times, winning with modesty, accepting defeat gracefully, and constantly exhibiting self-control (suppress joy or disappointment, receive any statement of judges with self-control ).
    - remember, the meaning of Kano known calligraphy “順道制勝” Jundo-Seisho: “Follow the Way – Gain Victory” - it means: if you follow the correct principles of Judo (Seiryoku-Zenyo, Jita-kyoei) without being obsessed with the result, you will win naturally; even losing while following Judo’s principles has more value than winning by violating the principles.

POINTS FOR PRACTICE OUTSIDE DOJO:
    ----------------------------------
    - show respect to other people
    - try to implement main judo principles 精力善用 Seiryoku-Zenyo: maximum efficient use of energy  and  自他共栄 Jita-kyoei: mutual prosperity for self and others in everyday life
    - practice self-control
    ------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your opinions.
    Udon
    Udon

Points for judo practice in  traditional way Empty Re: Points for judo practice in traditional way

Post by Udon Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:55 am

Thank you. These points are most important for all who practice judo.
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Points for judo practice in  traditional way Empty Re: Points for judo practice in traditional way

Post by Ben Reinhardt Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:21 am

I'd say active rest standing up and moving about would be better than sitting in seiza or anza, between randori.

I'd also say you have fewer suki while standing in shizenhontai. Certainly a lot more able to maneuver...
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:30 pm

Ben Reinhardt wrote:Řekl bych, že aktivní odpočinek ve stoje a pohybuje se asi by bylo lepší, než sedět v seiza nebo Anza, mezi randori. Také bych, že máte méně Suki , když stál v shizenhontai. Rozhodně mnohem více schopny manévrovat ...
    Yes, I agree with you. Thank you.
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:02 am

I heard explanation about Aiming by Ippon from Kosei Inoue, Toshihiko Koga, Yasuhiro Yamashita. One czech judoka Vladimir Lorenz (1925-2010) used the same motto. He spent some time in dojo Kyuzo Mifune.

I have a question: Importance of "Aiming by ippon" in shiai is some modern judo ideal or was before WW2?
    Thank you
    Ben Reinhardt
    Ben Reinhardt

Post by Ben Reinhardt Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:18 am

noboru wrote:I heard explanation about Aiming by Ippon from Kosei Inoue, Toshihiko Koga, Yasuhiro Yamashita. One czech judoka Vladimir Lorenz (1925-2010) used the same motto. He spent some time in dojo Kyuzo Mifune.

I have a question: Importance of "Aiming by ippon" in shiai is some modern judo ideal or was before WW2?
    Thank you

Aim for ippon, but if you miss, take the score you get ?

In the context of modern shiai, even Kosei Inoue would stall at the end of a match if he was ahead...
    noboru
    noboru

Points for judo practice in  traditional way Empty Develop own selfdefence skill

Post by noboru Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:16 am

I have to add one important point or emphasize this point - Develop own selfdefence skill - study and implement efficient forms of selfdefence.

I read interview with Moshe Feldenkreis (INTERVIEW WITH MOSHE – The Extraordinary Story of How Moshe Feldenkrais Came to Study Judo - http://www.semiophysics.com/SemioPhysics_interview_with_Moshe.html ) and any other sources from Memories of Jigoro Kano or Alex Bennet (Kano and the Kodokan: An Innovative Response to Modernisation). I have strong sense, that Jigoro Kana studied (personaly, from books, scrolls) different ways (japanese, western) of selfdefence and try them absorb to his system. May be we can talk about implementing of idea maximum efficiency with minimum efforts in searching effective techniques for modern selfdefence. Next points are his texts about Deteoration of randori, where people forget to possible attack of atemi waza during their way of randori.

We have Kódokan Kime no kata and latest set of Kódókan Goshin jutsu for studying ways of selfdefence. But modern sport focused judo training forgets (little bit / lot) to using judo techniques in selfdefence. Offen only for using in sport match.

Can we talk, that developing own selfdefence skill is important for practice judo in traditional way?
    Could we study modern techniques of selfdefence as Krav Maga etc. and enrich own skill with these techniques and link up them with our judo wazas for better developing own selfdefence skill?
    thomaschippendale

Post by thomaschippendale Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:04 pm

Nice Post! I really like it. After reading your post I got little bit knowledge about judo technique. I think you've pointed out some interesting techniques. Seriously impressed that there are so considerably about this topic that's been uncovered and you did it so properly. Now I am starting training in Judo and for home guidance I have a book as "Just An Ordinary Guy" purchasing from WKC Martial Arts Supplies. Thanks for sharing with us such a wonderful post.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:43 pm