E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+2
Y-Chromosome
NBK
6 posters

The Zen Judo Way - Mike Healy

Jonesy
    Jonesy

The Zen Judo Way - Mike Healy Empty The Zen Judo Way - Mike Healy

Post by Jonesy Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:58 am

New book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zen-Judo-Way-Mike-Healy/dp/1512278386/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434315404&sr=8-1&keywords=zen+judo
    NBK
    NBK

The Zen Judo Way - Mike Healy Empty Re: The Zen Judo Way - Mike Healy

Post by NBK Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:49 am

Anyone know the program firsthand?
    Y-Chromosome
    Y-Chromosome

The Zen Judo Way - Mike Healy Empty and so???

Post by Y-Chromosome Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:42 am

Jonesy wrote:New book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zen-Judo-Way-Mike-Healy/dp/1512278386/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434315404&sr=8-1&keywords=zen+judo

Are you recommendig this book?  Have you read it?

I'll be honest.
    I get my back up a bit when I see words like "Zen" thrown around, just as I tend to snort with derision when I see "Ninja" thrown around.  Are the proponents Buddhists?  Do they actually practice Zen Buddhism or at least have a deep understanding of it practices and beliefs?

I have no problem with practicing Judo in a "non competitive, mutually beneficial environment" but what has that got to do with Zen?  One might as well call it "Christian Judo" or "Hasidic Judo", but seeing "Zen" used in this way seems more marketing ploy than anything else and I'm not sure I approve... scratch that... I disapprove of co-opting other people's spiritual beliefs and practices as a marketing ploy.

All that said, it might be an OK book, but given the alreading hefty size of my judo library, I'm not about to rush out and buy it unless it contains something genuinely new and interesting.

Last edited by Y-Chromosome on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    BillC
    BillC

Post by BillC Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:02 am

Everything Zen ... I don't think so. Wink
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:40 am

Y-Chromosome wrote:
    Jonesy wrote:New book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zen-Judo-Way-Mike-Healy/dp/1512278386/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434315404&sr=8-1&keywords=zen+judo

Are you recommendig this book?  Have you read it?

I'll be honest.
    I get my back up a bit when I see words like "Zen" thrown around, just as I tend to snort with derision when I see "Ninja" thrown around.  Are the proponents Buddhists?  Do they actually practice Zen Buddhism or at least have a deep understanding of it practices and beliefs?

I have no problem with practicing Judo in a "non competitive, mutually beneficial environment" but what has that got to do with Zen?  One might as well call it "Christian Judo" or "Hasidic Judo", but seeing "Zen" used in this way seems more marketing ploy than anything else and I'm not sure I approve... scratch that... I disapprove of co-opting other people's spiritual beliefs and practices as a marketing ploy.

All that said, it might be an OK book, but given the alreading hefty size of my judo library, I'm not about to rush out and buy it unless it contains something genuinely new and interesting.

No opinion on the book. I've not read it. Awareness posting only. "Zen judo" is a derivative practiced by a small but dedicated group in the UK and one or two other countries.
    JFTW

Post by JFTW Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:06 am

If memory serves well, one of the hallmarks of the "Zen Judo" movement is that they do not do randori, and they do not do shiai.
    michi
    michi

Post by michi Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:21 am

Is it safe to say it would be similar to Brian Bagot's book on Zen Judo ?

Perhaps the two authors are aware of one another ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0713720522/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1434932408&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=zen+judo&dpPl=1&dpID=51luwsFvzuL&ref=plSrch
    Jonesy
    Jonesy

Post by Jonesy Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:51 am

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:30 pm