E-Judo

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
E-Judo

Judo network and forum

+6
judo66
beyondgrappling
noboru
Reinberger
tafftaz
Jihef
10 posters

Sadness and dilemma.

Jihef
    Jihef

Sadness and dilemma.  Empty Sadness and dilemma.

Post by Jihef Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:23 am

Sadness and dilemma.
    The end of an era.

I just learned that my sensei, an elderly judoka with health problems, handicapping his Judo practice, will soon stop its activity.
    He will retire from Judo, and if we, his students, wish so, he will pass us on “the keys" of the Club. Morally speaking, of course.

This is troubling, because that club was very old, had more than fifty years of Judo and Aikido activity, had hitherto managed to maintain itself, a friendly "traditional" martial anachronism in a small world, very often restricted to its competitive aspect.

Our "uncompetitive" Judo practice is rooted in a tradition, where professors then learned with the "Kawaishi Method" as their Breviary, and blithely supplemented their Judo with "Ju-Jitsu" practice (self-defense) and Aikido concepts.
    So we practice quite an “open” Judo, without many of these « sportive » limits, we learned and still use all of these movements which regularly disappear from the competitive Cursus. And some Kawaishi oddities also.
    The population of the Club is mature enough, some young people that came up from the Junior class, but mostly practitioners of all ages, in their twenties, thirties, forties and more ... That is rare enough to be noted, and appreciated.

So I find myself in a new, delicate, situation.

Either I engage myself in teaching, and find a way to save my club, or it will actually disappear at the end of this season.

Either I fold my judogi, and go on the road, in search of a new "master".

Bwaah. :-(
    tafftaz

Sadness and dilemma.  Empty Re: Sadness and dilemma.

Post by tafftaz Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:58 am

Take the step my friend and teach what you know. Nothing beats practising in your own club. Visits to others are nice but your "home club" is just that, home.
    With a leap of faith your club could still be around many, many years from now. It just taes one person to take the bull by the horns. Be that person.
    Reinberger
    Reinberger

Post by Reinberger Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:01 am

Jihef, I'm sure many of us have experienced similar situations, if not even still more dramatic ones. One day, this point in time comes for everyone, who stays long enough with his art and/or sport.

Knowing you only from internet and your contributions at forums like this one, I have no idea about your qualifications regarding running a club and teaching. But if they seem to be sufficient, both, to you, and to others, as well as regarding your federation's laws for somebody running a club, then I would say give it a try. This may be the moment, when you are obliged to start "giving" or "paying" back.

Be critical when judging your own abilities to do that, but don't overdo. It's completely natural to feel that there's still a big gap of knowledge and abilities between your now retiring teacher, and you. That's not the point. Your journey will not stop after taking responsibility, only the method of learning will change. And there are always possibilities to join different seminars and courses (or even joining a second club), and to be taught and learn there in a way you are more used to.

Alternatively, you could try to find a well qualified teacher to continue your club, so rich in history, that it already covers half of a century. Wouldn't it be bad, to simply let it die now, if there is any chance to have it continued?

I think, only if both options can't be applied, you should start to look for another teacher/club, and have your old club shut down.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:58 pm

Thank you both for your advice.

As you can imagine, I am in brooding mode currently. Your opinions help me; I feel less lonely in my ruminations.
    tafftaz

Post by tafftaz Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:58 am

Jihef I went through the exact same thing when my sensei wanted to retire. Close the club (a very successful one) or take the reins.
    Granted I had already passed my coaching cwrtificates and had competed at a fair level, but it was still something that I did not fancy doing. All I wanted to do was turn up for practise and train with no thought or worries about class content or how the club was run.
    I can honestly say that it was a good decision on my part. Club has got stronger, with larger numbers on mat. Also more players getting to a high standard in shiai and on the coaching side.
    It is a big step but have faith in your ability. I firmly believe that you can do this and do it well.
    noboru
    noboru

Post by noboru Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:16 am

Hello, my opinion is. Go ahead and try to lead the club and outside it can look for your teacher. You do not have to act as an authoritative sensei, but as a guide to what you have learned from your teacher and your interpretation could be administered in style: "My teacher taught it this way ... Let's do so well and try to learn it."
    If it does not possible, so you can close the club at any time. Then you do not have to read that you did not try.
    In my experience, when a person tries something with some selfless interest, so sooner or later encounters with people who help him...

Good luck.
    beyondgrappling

Post by beyondgrappling Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:03 am

it is an honour and privilege to teach the love of Judo to people. I reckon you sould take the plunge and take it on, you will love it.
    And if you need any help with it I am more than happy to help you any way I can
    Good luck
    judo66
    judo66

Post by judo66 Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:57 pm

Il faut parfois prendre le taureau par les cornes Jihef. Bonne chance.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:06 am

Thanks again guys for the support. Merci.
    Fritz
    Fritz

Post by Fritz Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:40 pm

Take the keys and teach! ;-)

And talk with the other students you mentioned in the starting post, so that they will teach too...!
    So you all will have the chance, still to learn some pieces of the whole puzzle which otherways will be lost...

Udon
    Udon

Post by Udon Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:03 am

Jiihef, the type of judo practice you describe is a rare gem today. It would be a shame to let it disappear because your dojo had to close. Maybe it's time to give back to your old Sensei's and to judo , and teach.
    I wish you well.
    DougNZ

Post by DougNZ Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:47 pm

All great teachers started as beginner teachers.

Many great martial artists only became so after they began to teach.

Teaching is learning.
    Jihef
    Jihef

Post by Jihef Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:53 pm

Once again, thanks everyone for the kind words. thumbup1

I have until June 2016 to find a way to keep the Club alive. I will talk with all remaining members to see what they plan to do, and who wants to give a hand to start anew.
    Fritz
    Fritz

Post by Fritz Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:45 am

Let me tell you something from a club with lot of history in my neighborhood. There was a similar problem.
    Their old sensei retired from business because of being old and tired etc...
    The choice were to give up the club or doing something other.
    The club members decided to found a limited liability corporation, bought the business from their sensei,
    reorganized classes and teaching staff and the club flourished again..
    After a year of absence their old sensei starts to give some training again... (once in Judo, alway in Judo, you know)

Unfortunately he passed away a little bit later very suddenly, it was a deep shock for all knowing him :-/
    But the judo school survided :-)

lorenb667

Post by lorenb667 Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:43 am

Jump into that pool and do what you have to do.

I started my first club 8 years ago and the second 5 years ago. Both clubs are still active clubs.

Do what you have to do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 pm